Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   Longest ride on your bike? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1145392)

Jewishcowboy 05-28-18 07:59 PM

Longest ride on your bike?

im curious the longest ride you have gone on on your hybrid bike? I feel like 30+ miles would be perfectly doable. Thanks

Skipjacks 05-28-18 09:23 PM

The bike isn't limiting. Only the rider is.

30+ is doable on just about any bike.

It just takes practice to work up to those lengths.

Bang0Bang00 05-28-18 10:05 PM

100km (62mi) is possible. Painful, rewarding, but possible.

Stick with it, and you will find all the little details that your body and bike need to make it happen!

A bike fitting is always a good step in the process too.

ValonZ 05-29-18 05:23 AM

So far it's been 85km but I plan on doing 160km sometime during summer.

subgrade 05-29-18 05:38 AM

I have had my hybrid since the early January, and have done 80-90 km on it several times thus far, 50-60 km on a regular basis. As was said before, it's more about the rider, not the bike - I did the same distances with my old MTB just as easy. If one is not used to riding for several hours, even the comfiest touring bike won't help much.
Plans are for several 100+ rides this summer, possibly one around 200 km.

hokiefyd 05-29-18 08:03 AM

30 miles on my Giant Roam a month or so ago. That's the longest single ride I've done. It was all gravel, and I understand there's a "paved road equivalency" factor for riding on gravel, depending on the coarseness of it. It was packed pretty well (C&O canal towpath) for most of the route, so I wouldn't say it added much. Maybe 10-15%.

badger1 05-29-18 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jewishcowboy (Post 20365056)
im curious the longest ride you have gone on on your hybrid bike? I feel like 30+ miles would be perfectly doable. Thanks

As others have pointed out, completing 'long' rides has, within reason, nothing to do with the type of bicycle one is riding and everything to do with the cyclist's fitness for long rides and bike fit. Obviously, trying to ride a century (100 miles in a day) on a downhill mtb with downhill tires would require a somewhat-pointless expenditure of energy, though one could do so, but outside of the extremes bike 'type' is irrelevant.

Hybrids? Of course; folks have ridden across cities, countries, continents, around the world on bicycles that many would see as 'hybrids'. Hybrid, 'road bike', 'touring' bike -- whatever works for any individual cyclist is the 'right tool for the job'. If your bike fits you well, and you are comfortable with the contact points, you can ride as far as your fitness will take you.

For the record, I've ridden three centuries (defined above) and routinely do a longer ride of 50 to 60 miles on weekends spring/summer/fall. First 'century' was on a hardtail mtb with road slicks; second and third on the bike I currently use for all my riding (pic below). I did those 100 mile rides simply to see if I could; no problems at all.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...49054890f5.jpg

Oso Polar 05-29-18 09:45 AM

30 miles is easily doable, 20 to 30 miles is pretty much my daily evening "after work" ride. So far the longest ride I did (several times) on my Trek 3500 is about 114 km - 70 miles. And this particular bike, unfortunately, doesn't fit me very well - it is a couple of sizes smaller than I need. Still, from pure fatigue point of view, I have a feeling that I can go much, much longer - the only thing that really bothers me is the saddle (starting after about 3 - 3.5 hours riding, anything less is just a walk in a park). Mind you - I started riding last summer and my first ride was about 7 or 8 miles. And it took me 2 hours. :lol:

Jewishcowboy 05-29-18 11:12 AM

Thank you

TheLibrarian 05-29-18 11:39 AM

34 miles

Jewishcowboy 05-29-18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Oso Polar (Post 20365782)
30 miles is easily doable, 20 to 30 miles is pretty much my daily evening "after work" ride. So far the longest ride I did (several times) on my Trek 3500 is about 114 km - 70 miles. And this particular bike, unfortunately, doesn't fit me very well - it is a couple of sizes smaller than I need. Still, from pure fatigue point of view, I have a feeling that I can go much, much longer - the only thing that really bothers me is the saddle (starting after about 3 - 3.5 hours riding, anything less is just a walk in a park). Mind you - I started riding last summer and my first ride was about 7 or 8 miles. And it took me 2 hours. :lol:

2 hours to ride 8 miles?

Oso Polar 05-29-18 02:21 PM

Yup. Something like 4 miles in ~20-25 minutes and then triple this time to get back, stopping every 30 seconds for a break. I'd gave up but I had no other option than to get back to the car - no one could pick me up from the middle of a forest. Felt barely alive when arrived back, completely exhausted. :D

Last time before this I was on a bike ~25 years ago. It didn't help that my seat was about 8 inches lower than it should have been - I had no idea how to properly adjust height (in a hindsight, this was the main issue). And that the bike had knobby mountain bike tires. Now, one year and minus 70 pounds later, proper height saddle, slick tires and clipless pedals - these 8 miles are barely a warm up...

CliffordK 05-29-18 02:22 PM

I put drop bars on my Hybrid. :)

161 miles on the modified Hybrid.

https://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...hmentid=606547

A little short of my 200 mile ride that was on the road bike.

I know... pretty short, I need to work a bit to get my ride distances up.... maybe soon.

NomarsGirl 05-29-18 05:10 PM

22 is my longest to date. I have been limited by my husband who complains of wrist and butt pain on his vintage road bike. I need to go solo to see how far I can go without his issues.

Jewishcowboy 05-29-18 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl (Post 20366632)
22 is my longest to date. I have been limited by my husband who complains of wrist and butt pain on his vintage road bike. I need to go solo to see how far I can go without his issues.

sounds like he’s holding you back😜

Jewishcowboy 05-29-18 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Oso Polar (Post 20366333)
Yup. Something like 4 miles in ~20-25 minutes and then triple this time to get back, stopping every 30 seconds for a break. I'd gave up but I had no other option than to get back to the car - no one could pick me up from the middle of a forest. Felt barely alive when arrived back, completely exhausted. :D

Last time before this I was on a bike ~25 years ago. It didn't help that my seat was about 8 inches lower than it should have been - I had no idea how to properly adjust height (in a hindsight, this was the main issue). And that the bike had knobby mountain bike tires. Now, one year and minus 70 pounds later, proper height saddle, slick tires and clipless pedals - these 8 miles are barely a warm up...

the clip less pedals are the best thing you can do to improve performance

ChiefTJS 05-29-18 07:16 PM

Did 25 today, 35 last Saturday and in 3 weeks a 52. A few years ago I was doing lot's of 50's with it with no issue at all, I just have to get back in shape.

puma1552 05-29-18 08:40 PM

60 miles or so on my sirrus

andrei_r 05-30-18 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by puma1552 (Post 20366943)
60 miles or so on my sirrus

101km the longest. 50-85km being typical longer rides and 30-40 km typical short rides. Longer rides tend to have more asphalt and well maintained gravel and dirt roads while shorter rides will have more singletrack and no so well maintained roads.

prj71 05-30-18 07:51 AM

Longest = ~100 on a fat bike and ~90 on my hybrid bike.

Just rode 75 miles this past Saturday, 30 on Sunday and 23 yesterday.

This Saturday I'm going for 105 on my hybrid.

Jewishcowboy 05-31-18 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20366336)
I put drop bars on my Hybrid. :)

161 miles on the modified Hybrid.

https://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...hmentid=606547

A little short of my 200 mile ride that was on the road bike.

I know... pretty short, I need to work a bit to get my ride distances up.... maybe soon.

Curious how much the drop bar conversion cost

pjthomas 05-31-18 08:05 AM

I once did 45 miles of fire roads but it took a whole day. 100 miles on a hybrid is pushing it. At 8 hours that an average of 12.5 MPH. On a flat route, like a rail trail, that might be doable.

CliffordK 05-31-18 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jewishcowboy (Post 20369294)
Curious how much the drop bar conversion cost

I don't want to know. :eek:

Drop bars, stem, shifters, brakes levers, cables, cable housings, and tape probably came in around $100. I have new adjustable noodles that need to go on the bike sometime.

There were a bunch of other updates done at the same time, and costs added up.

Jewishcowboy 05-31-18 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20369579)
I don't want to know. :eek:

Drop bars, stem, shifters, brakes levers, cables, cable housings, and tape probably came in around $100. I have new adjustable noodles that need to go on the bike sometime.

There were a bunch of other updates done at the same time, and costs added up.

$100 sounds cheap, I thought it would have been a lot more

CliffordK 05-31-18 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jewishcowboy (Post 20369784)
$100 sounds cheap, I thought it would have been a lot more

Perhaps a bit more for the parts above, but not that much. I keep my eyes open for good deals on things like bars when I find them (<=$10). The Tektro brake levers aren't that expensive. The bar end shifters were old.

As I mentioned, there were other changes including cassette, chain, crankset, bottom bracket, tires, tubes, derailleurs, bottle cages, rear rack, and seat that did add up in cost.