Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   PR to shame those who menace weaker users? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1068785)

JeffOYB 06-18-16 07:48 AM

PR to shame those who menace weaker users?

The USA sense of macho has perhaps had some good aspects -- that advertisers appeal to -- but it has also always included "cowardly victimizing of the weaker."

It would be an easy national PR campaign to expose the cowardly evil of startling, squeezing, buzzing, honking, hassling road-users who are weaker. Maybe a bit like the old 'crying indian.'

Could that have a helpful effect? We're not used to that kind of embarrassing exposure of our values here in the USA. It would embarrass many. Could it change any? Or would there be a backlash to protect our "right to assault the weaker"?

howsteepisit 06-18-16 08:02 AM

Personally, I think those that would persecute weaker beings would consider it a badge of honor and make a game out of increasing their level of persecution. I admit I am cynical and jaded.

dksix 06-18-16 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by JeffOYB (Post 18854204)
The USA sense of macho has perhaps had some good aspects -- that advertisers appeal to -- but it has also always included "cowardly victimizing of the weaker."

It would be an easy national PR campaign to expose the cowardly evil of startling, squeezing, buzzing, honking, hassling road-users who are weaker. Maybe a bit like the old 'crying indian.'

Could that have a helpful effect? We're not used to that kind of embarrassing exposure of our values here in the USA. It would embarrass many. Could it change any? Or would there be a backlash to protect our "right to assault the weaker"?

I don't think so. Given the mentality the group you speak of has they would more than likely find it amusing and in turn be encouraged, probably end up with a new YouTube video genre like people honking at guys on golf course.

wphamilton 06-18-16 08:27 AM

My knee jerk reaction was no, but I do think it would help.

In the first place there are drivers who just don't know any better and such a PR campaign would not only inform them about safe passing but also drive it home that we are, in fact, road users. Eradicating ignorance is always worthy and should be the primary goal of any PR campaign in my opinion.

Secondly there is a small but real population who have no sense of empathy, no concern for the well-being of others, and who are only held in check by the known consequences of violating social constraints. I don't know if you can artificially create such a thing, or bring it to the surface of public awareness by analogy, but it's worth a try.

genec 06-18-16 09:55 AM

I think that to emphasize "weaker beings" in any way would be a negative... already, in the minds of some, cyclists represent the "40 year old virgin." Of course, the real irony is that cyclists, exercising routinely, could probably kick butt on many motorists that are only "strong" due to the size of their SUV.

No, a better "crying indian" type campaign would be to remind people that cyclists are brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, generally people you know... not just faceless cycling bots out there to create havoc on the road.

mr_bill 06-18-16 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by genec (Post 18854413)
[R]emind people that cyclists are brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, generally people you know... not just faceless cycling bots out there to create havoc on the road.

This.

-mr. bill

genec 06-18-16 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by mr_bill (Post 18854467)
This.

-mr. bill

Never seen it before, but indeed, yes, a good message. Make it nationwide!

https://bikepgh.org/wp-content/uploa...e2-620x597.jpg

italktocats 06-18-16 11:48 AM

5 minutes ago i was almost run over and chased down only to almost get run over again, and then loony floored it and sped off, there's no reason to even report it, what do you plan on stopping these kind of people with this kind of mentality?

people on bikes are real people, sure, but not to the person in the car, then everything outside the car is there to annoy them, and only them :lol:
the moment they get out of the car they suddenly want to have safe roads, no cars around, cookies and rainbows..

ypsetihw 06-18-16 11:53 AM

I love the idea, but who would pay for and produce the ad?!

genec 06-18-16 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by ypsetihw (Post 18854543)
I love the idea, but who would pay for and produce the ad?!

Why not bike manufactures?

Equinox 06-18-16 01:22 PM

While admitting I don't watch much TV, do we still have Public Service Announcements? I remember a few from the past. "Expect the Unexpected. Watch Out for the Other Guy". "Buckle up for Safety". "Keep America Beautiful, Don't Litter". "Just Say No".
I was thinking a PSA regarding Bicycles and how vulnerable they are. I think the thing that genec posted in #7 is perfect, and could be done on a rotating basis. I remember "Brought to You by the Ad Council". Or maybe the Department of Transportation or the National Transportation Safety Board.
I'm in favor of it and I think it would be somewhat effective.

italktocats 06-18-16 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Equinox (Post 18854658)
"Just Say No".

i dont think that one worked very well.. :lol:

Equinox 06-18-16 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by italktocats (Post 18854705)
i dont think that one worked very well.. :lol:

I know:) But it was SOMETHING>

Moe Zhoost 06-18-16 03:38 PM

If you think of yourself as a "weaker being" you need to develop some resilience.

Milton Keynes 06-18-16 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by dksix (Post 18854218)
I don't think so. Given the mentality the group you speak of has they would more than likely find it amusing and in turn be encouraged, probably end up with a new YouTube video genre like people honking at guys on golf course.

Or those idiots "rolling coal" on other motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians.

jfowler85 06-18-16 04:13 PM

No, if anything it would feed the machismo and enlarge it. And I would hardly say that this is confined to the US.

genec 06-18-16 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Equinox (Post 18854658)
While admitting I don't watch much TV, do we still have Public Service Announcements? I remember a few from the past. "Expect the Unexpected. Watch Out for the Other Guy". "Buckle up for Safety". "Keep America Beautiful, Don't Litter". "Just Say No".
I was thinking a PSA regarding Bicycles and how vulnerable they are. I think the thing that genec posted in #7 is perfect, and could be done on a rotating basis. I remember "Brought to You by the Ad Council". Or maybe the Department of Transportation or the National Transportation Safety Board.
I'm in favor of it and I think it would be somewhat effective.

Just want to give credit where credit is due. mr. bill pointed me in the right direction, I merely followed the link and posted what was there, which I had never seen before. I think it is great and would love to see it run from time to time like you mention.

baron von trail 06-18-16 05:25 PM

I just rather see a campaign aimed at getting the drivers of cars, trucks and motorcycles to use mufflers that actually, you know, muffle the noise. I'm sick of being passed by vehicles blasting 90-plus Db into my left ear.

dksix 06-18-16 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by genec (Post 18854947)
Just want to give credit where credit is due. mr. bill pointed me in the right direction, I merely followed the link and posted what was there, which I had never seen before. I think it is great and would love to see it run from time to time like you mention.

I don't think it would reach the types that I first come to mind I read the OP but after seeing some of these ideas I have to think it would resonate with some drivers. Something like was the picture being posted would have to make some think about the "who" that's on the bike. Maybe a catchy phase like "click it or ticket" with safe passing distance might be worthwhile too. I had one come around my today no more than 6" from my bars, and that was on a straight road with 3 or 4 hundred yards of forward visibility ahead and not another car is sight. I don't have much hope of reaching people like that, they simply think bikes shouldn't be on the roads.

genec 06-18-16 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by dksix (Post 18855042)
I don't think it would reach the types that I first come to mind I read the OP but after seeing some of these ideas I have to think it would resonate with some drivers. Something like was the picture being posted would have to make some think about the "who" that's on the bike. Maybe a catchy phase like "click it or ticket" with safe passing distance might be worthwhile too. I had one come around my today no more than 6" from my bars, and that was on a straight road with 3 or 4 hundred yards of forward visibility ahead and not another car is sight. I don't have much hope of reaching people like that, they simply think bikes shouldn't be on the roads.

Agreed... more with the "resonate thing" and the "who" idea. A catch praise is great too... it sticks in the mind... "Give me Three" <--- I recall that from somewhere...

Of course in the situation like you mentioned, some AH could just say "yeah, inches... ha ha... " and really get close.

genec 06-18-16 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by baron von trail (Post 18855021)
I just rather see a campaign aimed at getting the drivers of cars, trucks and motorcycles to use mufflers that actually, you know, muffle the noise. I'm sick of being passed by vehicles blasting 90-plus Db into my left ear.

I always thought it was ironic that there was discussion of adding noise to electric vehicles.

I understand the need, for protection of those with sight impairment... but gosh, wouldn't be nicer to work toward a quieter environment?

Bit of irony... I just moved to a rural area... and thought it would be quiet. Turns out when it is quiet, all the sounds travel further... "you hear everything..." Of course the reality is that the total db level average is indeed lower. ;)

dksix 06-18-16 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by genec (Post 18855062)
I always thought it was ironic that there was discussion of adding noise to electric vehicles.

I understand the need, for protection of those with sight impairment... but gosh, wouldn't be nicer to work toward a quieter environment?

Bit of irony... I just moved to a rural area... and thought it would be quiet. Turns out when it is quiet, all the sounds travel further... "you hear everything..." Of course the reality is that the total db level average is indeed lower. ;)

There was a piece on the Pikes Peak race where they were making a run on an electric motorcycle and it was required to run an auto alarms siren on it's run so people would know it was coming through.

I have a pet peeve about loud vehicles and have found the vehicles most always match the operators loud and obnoxious personalizes. Even when I kept fast cars I never had one that was loud, there is a huge difference between have a powerful tone and just being loud.

Chris0516 06-18-16 07:18 PM

It could have some of both.

baron von trail 06-18-16 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by genec (Post 18855062)

On quiet evenings, I can hear the expressway from my back deck. It's over 5 miles away.

Jim from Boston 06-19-16 05:19 AM

PR to shame those who menace weaker users?

Originally Posted by wphamilton (Post 18854258)
My knee jerk reaction was no, but I do think it would help...

Secondly there is a small but real population who have no sense of empathy, no concern for the well-being of others, and who are only held in check by the known consequences of violating social constraints. I don't know if you can artificially create such a thing, or bring it to the surface of public awareness by analogy, but it's worth a try.

Well said, @WP. I have those exact thoughts whenever I am passed, even when not too close by motorist who does not slow down or move over slightly, just as an indication they notice me. I always think those self-absorbed cagers are only restrained by the thought of scratching their cars, or the hassle of filing police reports.

My only satisfactory retribution is to give them my previously-described Bicyclist Curse. (I repeatedly jab my pointed right index finger in their direction, while shouting an accusatory, ”You, you, you…”). The possibility of metaphysical retribution is more satisfying than the middle finger. :notamused:

I do also bestow Bicyclist Blessings on drivers who show even a modicum of respect, with a wave of the hand. I estimate I give Blessings to Curses in a ratio of about at least 25 to 1.