Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   NBC & Tour De France 2019 Coverage (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177849)

Spinay70 07-09-19 10:30 AM

NBC & Tour De France 2019 Coverage

Anyone go the $55 dollar (estimated) one time subscription to get all access to the Tour coverage?

If so, is it worth it in your opinion and also do you think its too late to get in on it?

Any in depth alternate ways to watch out there while its still 'live'??

So many q's...

Spinay70

dsaul 07-09-19 10:36 AM

I'm watching it for free on NBCSN with Comcast. Yesterday was 5 hrs and today is around 4 hrs. I don't know how much more coverage you can get or want.

livedarklions 07-09-19 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by dsaul (Post 21018553)
I'm watching it for free on NBCSN with Comcast. Yesterday was 5 hrs and today is around 4 hrs. I don't know how much more coverage you can get or want.

Don't even ask about the johnny-cam.

Brocephus 07-09-19 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21018568)
Don't even ask about the johnny-cam.

A couple jokes immediately sprang to mind, but I figured this is a family operation, so in an almost unprecedented burst of self-control, I'll refrain from comment. :D

livedarklions 07-09-19 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Brocephus (Post 21018579)
A couple jokes immediately sprang to mind, but I figured this is a family operation, so in an almost unprecedented burst of self-control, I'll refrain from comment. :D

In loo of such comments, I'll just say you go to the head... of the class.

August West 07-09-19 11:22 AM

If you have NBCSN I can't image how it would could be much better. They have a 1/2 hour pre-race show, the entire race start to finish, a post race show and the awards ceremonies.

joeruge 07-09-19 11:28 AM

I don't know about the '$55 one time subscription' (I think it is a yearly charge) Having said that, it is for a year, which means along with the tour you can watch the Giro, Tour of California, etc. I like it. It's one of my few TV indulgences. Now, whether it's 'worth it,' all depends on how much you like to have an excuse to sit and watch bike riding, rather than going out and doing some. In Tucson, in the Summer, If you're not out there riding by about 6 AM, you're toast. Unfortunately, the 'live' coverage is not finished till about 9 AM, so July doesn't see me out on the roads too much.

However, you can watch any stage pre-recorded. So you can go out on your ride and then watch a stage.

GlennR 07-09-19 01:35 PM

I'm pissed off that they gave Lance an opportunity to be on the coverage.

What's next, Pete Rose doing color for the World Series?

texaspandj 07-09-19 01:52 PM

Why? Oh that's right because they took his 7 TdF wins away and gave them to the runner up.....wait, no runner up.. Well at least they didn't take Pete rose world series wins away.

mackgoo 07-09-19 02:14 PM

Bring back Lance.

livedarklions 07-09-19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by texaspandj (Post 21018920)
Why? Oh that's right because they took his 7 TdF wins away and gave them to the runner up.....wait, no runner up.. Well at least they didn't take Pete rose world series wins away.

And this has FA to do with whether he should be doing the coverage.

Lance is blessed by statutes of limitations, otherwise he'd be convicted felon Lance Armstrong.

Juan Foote 07-09-19 02:18 PM

I am almost sad to say that I have completely lost interest in watching this any more.

As a kid I watched every minute, every moment, and did for years as access was available. The past couple of years I have watched less and less, fast forwarded through huge sections. Quit watching about half way through last year and haven't even watched a highlight reel this year. Just don't care anymore. Kind of bummer from the rose glasses aspect....

Rajflyboy 07-09-19 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Juan Foote (Post 21018960)
I am almost sad to say that I have completely lost interest in watching this any more.

As a kid I watched every minute, every moment, and did for years as access was available. The past couple of years I have watched less and less, fast forwarded through huge sections. Quit watching about half way through last year and haven't even watched a highlight reel this year. Just don't care anymore. Kind of bummer from the rose glasses aspect....

This year is better (so far)

Eneos doesn’t have it in the bag just yet

Eneos is the old Sky team for those who may not know.

Flip Flop Rider 07-09-19 07:44 PM

Eneos doesn't have Froome either so, they look a little weaker than the old Sky

asgelle 07-09-19 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy (Post 21019378)
Eneos is the old Sky team for those who may not know.

I didn’t know that, and I’m pretty sure it’s not right.

GlennR 07-09-19 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by asgelle (Post 21019478)
I didn’t know that, and I’m pretty sure it’s not right.

He is correct.

asgelle 07-09-19 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21019485)
He is correct.

Better to remain silent ...

DropBarFan 07-09-19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by joeruge (Post 21018639)
I don't know about the '$55 one time subscription' (I think it is a yearly charge) Having said that, it is for a year, which means along with the tour you can watch the Giro, Tour of California, etc. I like it. It's one of my few TV indulgences. Now, whether it's 'worth it,' all depends on how much you like to have an excuse to sit and watch bike riding, rather than going out and doing some. In Tucson, in the Summer, If you're not out there riding by about 6 AM, you're toast. Unfortunately, the 'live' coverage is not finished till about 9 AM, so July doesn't see me out on the roads too much.

However, you can watch any stage pre-recorded. So you can go out on your ride and then watch a stage.

I have NBCSN, not exactly "free" ie part of cable tier package. Have to set DVR which is not a huge task but I don't have multi-room. NBC Gold seems good for cable-cutters, AFAIK includes some races not on cable which has also cut back on TdF repeats, used to be 3-4 shows per day. Gold, unfortunately, doesn't include skiing, NBC is working on the "Snow Pass", boo.

jadocs 07-09-19 08:46 PM

I have it. No Giro is not covered. TDF you have a choice of two feeds. Live commercial free and the NBC coverage. It has gravel races, tour of California and others. You can go back and watch past races and it also has highlights from all.

HarborBandS 07-09-19 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21019485)
He is correct.

Except that it’s “Ineos”. 😁

(ducking)

Grotug 07-09-19 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Spinay70 (Post 21018541)
Anyone go the $55 dollar (estimated) one time subscription to get all access to the Tour coverage?

If so, is it worth it in your opinion and also do you think its too late to get in on it?

Any in depth alternate ways to watch out there while its still 'live'??

So many q's...

Spinay70

I bought the coverage and I'm happy with it, although I haven't figured out how to cast it to my 55" smart TV, so I've been watching it on my 16" laptop. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to cast it soon! (If it's not possible to cast, then that is a big negative and I would not recommending splurging the $55). I'll let you know if I figure out how to cast.

indyfabz 07-10-19 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21018588)
In loo of such comments, I'll just say you go to the head... of the class.

I see what you did there.

Dominae 07-10-19 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21018891)
I'm pissed off that they gave Lance an opportunity to be on the coverage.

What's next, Pete Rose doing color for the World Series?

Lance has zero credibility. By interjecting his worthless opinions into the broadcast the Tour coverage loses all credibility as well. He epitomizes everything that is wrong with sports. Just go away.

Machka 07-10-19 03:35 AM

I watch for free on SBS.

indyfabz 07-10-19 04:14 AM

I like where this thread is going.