Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Are Cat 1 racers considered pros? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=577536)

td.tony 08-23-09 09:03 PM

Are Cat 1 racers considered pros?

Do most Cat1 racers get paid to ride for their team? Or do they all just train and race in their free time?
Reason I ask is because at crits the categories usually say something along the lines of cat 1/2/3/pro.
Or are pros in another category one step above Cat 1?

patentcad 08-23-09 09:10 PM

If the definition of 'pro' is actually making a living from your sport, half the pros in America aren't even pros.

carpediemracing 08-23-09 09:14 PM

Cat 1s and Pros are different categories.

I don't know about other promoters, but I promote a low key series of spring races. I do P123 instead of just 2-3 or 1-2-3 because the odd pro will show up, and if I'm not permitted for pros, the pro can't race. I turned away Dave Chauner twice (he of the Philly race with the Manayunk Wall) because I wasn't permitted to allow Pros in the race that year. I've also had to turn away a few domestic pros, including some good friends. I felt terrible doing it. All they wanted was some training, but the liability potential was infinite so I didn't let them race. Ever since then I've done my permits as P123.

It used to be that if you have a Pro license, you couldn't do USCF events, and vice versa. Racers would be banned for taking out pro licenses. When the various federations all came together, pros could do USCF events. Now it's all USAC and one big happy family.

I'm not sure what constitutes a Pro now. I figure they must receive some kind of salary, W2 or 1099 or something. I think it costs more for a Pro license. I didn't bother checking the USAC site, but I think they license all US racers, pros and amateurs.

cdr

Flatballer 08-23-09 09:20 PM

I've always wondered the difference between Pro and Cat 1 myself. I had a friend who was a Pro last season, and now he's just a Cat 1.

I think it has something to do with a contract and being on a team that is a "Pro" team.

nitropowered 08-23-09 09:36 PM

"Pro" is for riders on a UCI Continental, UCI Professional Continental, or UCI Pro Tour team. Those riders are the only riders considered true "Pro"s

However there are many Elite Cat 1 teams that may use the designation Pro and may in fact even pay their riders. Getting a UCI team license is big bucks and for smaller budget teams, its more worth while to spend that license fee on paying for races or riders. You only really miss out on a few Pro only races.

JPradun 08-23-09 09:37 PM

"Pro" is someone who signs with a registered Continental/Pro Continental/ProTour team. The pro team can then, basically, sign you up for a pro license.

As soon as a team folds, or someone is fired, that person is then a cat1.

umd 08-23-09 10:18 PM

Cat 1s are not pros. In addition to everything everyone already said, pros cannot do masters races.

jfmckenna 08-23-09 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Flatballer (Post 9544668)
he's just a Cat 1.

thats all? pffft...

;)

urbanknight 08-23-09 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by nitropowered (Post 9544739)
"Pro" is for riders on a UCI Continental, UCI Professional Continental, or UCI Pro Tour team. Those riders are the only riders considered true "Pro"s

Why does it have to be under the international organization? I would have assumed a domestic pro team would only have to be registered under USAC.

Duke of Kent 08-23-09 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by nitropowered (Post 9544739)

However there are many Elite Cat 1 teams that may use the designation Pro and may in fact even pay their riders. Getting a UCI team license is big bucks and for smaller budget teams, its more worth while to spend that license fee on paying for races or riders. You only really miss out on a few Pro only races.

I know of several amateur teams that pay their racers.

And the funny thing is, some of those amateur teams are better than the "pro" teams they race against.

Take a look at the NRC standings at the end of each season; I guarantee you you'll find several amateur teams who would beat the tar out of the bottom feeder "pro" teams, and are ranked ahead of them in the NRC standings.

bellweatherman 08-24-09 02:26 AM

There are a lot of really capable Cat 1 racers that are close to being at the pro level. The difference between a Pro and a Cat1 isn't so much talent as it is about having the time to train and eat right, sleep, etc. Most Cat1's have time commitments like work life, school life, etc that prevent them from being totally dedicated. maybe that is a good thing. Pro cycling doesn't pay jacksquat unless you are one of the world's best.

roadwarrior 08-24-09 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 9544616)
If the definition of 'pro' is actually making a living from your sport, half the pros in America aren't even pros.

Define "living"...:D:twitchy:

See that unassisted triple play yesterday?

When you get paid a salary to ride a bike, you are a professional. Regardless of how bad that salary may be.

If you get a stipend to travel, eat, etc...you are not a pro. Amateurs can get money for expenses, etc...Cat 1's are amateurs.

Simply put.

YMCA 08-24-09 04:38 AM

Plenty of guys in Belgium never turned pro, because they had better deals in their Elite without contract teams.

What's the use unless you have aspirations of stardom, or just want to hold out hope that your team gets selected for some major race and you get selected by your team to do that major race.

nitropowered 08-24-09 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by urbanknight (Post 9545030)
Why does it have to be under the international organization? I would have assumed a domestic pro team would only have to be registered under USAC.

Its stated as I posted in the USAC rule book

ridethecliche 08-24-09 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by roadwarrior (Post 9545491)
Define "living"...:D:twitchy:

See that unassisted triple play yesterday?

When you get paid a salary to ride a bike, you are a professional. Regardless of how bad that salary may be.

If you get a stipend to travel, eat, etc...you are not a pro. Amateurs can get money for expenses, etc...Cat 1's are amateurs.

Simply put.

I suppose that makes me simply hopeless.

pdedes 08-24-09 05:41 AM

The rules for UCI registered professional teams are quite strict, including placing some of the salary that riders are to earn in escrow.

botto 08-24-09 06:46 AM

cat 1s aren't what they used to be.

YMCA 08-24-09 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by botto (Post 9545804)

That's the truth.

ZeCanon 08-24-09 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by botto (Post 9545804)

Yeah, what with the bigger fields and more racing opportunities, we suck now.

Creakyknees 08-24-09 07:59 AM

heh... not what they used to be... I dunno, it doesn't hurt any less when they rip my legs off and beat me me about the head and shoulders with them.

botto 08-24-09 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by ZeCanon (Post 9546079)
Yeah, what with the bigger fields and more racing opportunities, we suck now.

try not to take things so personally.

waterrockets 08-24-09 08:07 AM

Back in the early 90s, weren't there only allowed to be 200 Cat 1 men in the country? If you lost your ranking in the top 200 they downgraded you? My mentor in 1992-1994 was Cat 1 back then (US nat team), and he said somthing about that.

botto 08-24-09 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by waterrockets (Post 9546137)
Back in the early 90s, weren't there only allowed to be 200 Cat 1 men in the country? If you lost your ranking in the top 200 they downgraded you? My mentor in 1992-1994 was Cat 1 back then (US nat team), and he said somthing about that.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...t-bullseye.jpg

Creakyknees 08-24-09 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by waterrockets (Post 9546137)

yeah my best bud who's a former cat 1 and now a grumpy old fart was complaining about that the other day.

of course, if it wasn't that, he'd be complaining about something else.

urbanknight 08-24-09 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by nitropowered (Post 9545588)
Its stated as I posted in the USAC rule book

Interesting. I never read that part of the rule book, because I'd need EPO to upgrade to the 3s.