Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Odd things rich people are buying..... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1172964)

CycleryNorth81 05-14-19 01:59 AM

Odd things rich people are buying.....

Do you ride a fixie? You might be rich.

Odd things rich people are buying to show off their wealth

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/pers...opR?li=BBnbfcN

Machka 05-14-19 02:45 AM

Um. OK.

phile 05-14-19 03:09 AM

oh man that is a terrible article, of all teh needless expensive status buys a fixie definitely isn't one.

wolfchild 05-14-19 03:52 AM

I've been riding fixed gear for a long time and all I can say is that this article is bull****, not even one speck of truth in it.

indyfabz 05-14-19 05:10 AM

Odd things ignorant writers are penning in order to put food on the table.

We should at least have some fun with this. I'll start...

If you wear an ear flap hat in the summer...you might be a fixie rider. :)

Koyote 05-14-19 05:46 AM

Thorstein Veblen covered this pretty well about 120 years ago.

Not that fixies are a good example of conspicuous consumption.

Trevtassie 05-14-19 05:55 AM

One of these days they'll figure out the gene that makes really rich people want to get even richer. Problem is the rich will probably think that's a good thing and engineer their kids to make sure they get it. Be pretty cool if some rogue scientist let a flu virus go that cured obscene richness though.
And yes, fixies are hipster not richies, so that's a faux pas by the author

Machka 05-14-19 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Trevtassie (Post 20929028)
One of these days they'll figure out the gene that makes really rich people want to get even richer. Problem is the rich will probably think that's a good thing and engineer their gets to make sure they get it.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol:

jon c. 05-14-19 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 20928995)
Odd things ignorant writers are penning in order to put food on the table.

These days all writing is essentially done to provide entertainment for the audience and generate clicks for the source. A writer who is able to get a piece reproduced on other social media sites is achieving that goal. No reason to think the writer is ignorant. They're succeeding in the goal of writing what the audience will read and comment on.

Trevtassie 05-14-19 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 20929042)
You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol:

Yep, I think billionaires have some kind of mental illness, if they were collecting anything other than money they'd be locked up in a hospital. For some reason collecting way more money than you could ever use is socially acceptable.

indyfabz 05-14-19 06:20 AM

The article reminds me of a quote I like from the film "Contagion." "Blogging isn't writing. It's graffiti with punctuation."

AlmostTrick 05-14-19 06:47 AM

I own 3 "fixies" and I'm loaded.

Machka 05-14-19 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Trevtassie (Post 20929055)
Yep, I think billionaires have some kind of mental illness, if they were collecting anything other than money they'd be locked up in a hospital. For some reason collecting way more money than you could ever use is socially acceptable.

:roflmao2: :roflmao2:

Lemond1985 05-14-19 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick (Post 20929100)

"I'm loaded ... don't know where to point this thing."

downhillmaster 05-14-19 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Trevtassie (Post 20929055)

Collecting?
So Bill Gates didn’t earn his billions by working his arse off?
He simply wandered around collecting it?
:rolleyes:

Trevtassie 05-14-19 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by downhillmaster (Post 20929309)
Collecting?

If you think the majority of the rich earn all their money by working I've got a tower I'd like to sell you. Mostly they spend their time figuring out how to create money by manipulating the credit system.
At least Bill Gates is smart enough to realise he doesn't need all that money so he's giving a lot of it away through his foundation, probably because he did have to work hard at the start..

indyfabz 05-14-19 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick (Post 20929100)

So early in the morning? Lucky you. You must be a billionaire. :)

texaspandj 05-14-19 09:01 AM

I'm rich and I don't feel like I buy anything odd.....of course when I say rich, I mean in personality.

caloso 05-14-19 09:56 AM

Oh boy, this article is terrible. Rich people have been buying Veblen goods forever, but a FG ain't one. Nor are they difficult to ride. C'mon, man.

Flip Flop Rider 05-14-19 09:59 AM

rich people are hoarding money!!!!

Ogsarg 05-14-19 10:03 AM

Just your basic MSN clickbait article. They spend all their time thinking of headlines and then make up a story that has no basis in reality.

caloso 05-14-19 10:20 AM

The actual rich people I know tend to buy well-made stuff that lasts forever, like a 20-year old MB E-class sedan.

BlazingPedals 05-14-19 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by downhillmaster (Post 20929309)
Collecting?

Bill Gates made his initial fortune by selling something he didn't own; not by working hard in the classical sense.

Hondo Gravel 05-14-19 11:27 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...19493c675.jpeg

I used this ss bike to catch the end of a rainbow and that cheap leprechaun left my a box of rocks

mstateglfr 05-14-19 11:40 AM

Funniest quote in the article..
"...anyone can buy a watch that tells time, but it takes someone with a strong sense of self (and another way to figure out what time it is) to wear a watch that doesn't."

It doesnt take someone with a strong sense of self to wear a watch that doesnt tell time- it takes a moron. I welcome people wearing watches that dont tell time as itll make it easier to identify the morons around me so I dont have to waste time figuring it out thru conversation.