Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recreational & Family (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Kids road bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1111447)

TheFitAdventure 06-15-17 12:54 PM

Kids road bike

Any suggestions on a budget friendly beginner kid's road bike or where to find a used one?

Viich 06-17-17 09:30 AM

What do you mean by 'kid's'? - Are you talking to fit someone 4' or 5'? (5' you could put them on a small-frame adult bike - 47-48cm)

How good are you at bike maintenance / building? - cheapest is always used if you can spot problems and fix minor things - and tell the difference between major and minor things

What do you mean by road bike, for that matter? Is Jr. going to be racing, just looking for drop bars, or are you even looking for a drop bar bike?

The Soma Bart/Lisa frameset is I think the only one I know of for 20" wheels, most of the kids road bikes are for 24" or 650C.

Norco Valence 24" MSRP is $570 USD / $750 CAD

It's also quite possible to add drop bars, narrower, near-slick tires to just about any bike using short reach levers (linear pull are available) and a bar end shifter.

Clarkrw3 06-19-17 11:07 AM

Yes, specify kid size etc. I have a 24" Pin I've been needing to sell

mel2012 06-19-17 11:30 AM

Maybe look at the Fuji Ace 24: Fuji Ace 24" Kid's Bike - 2015

Or your local Craigslist. Ours has had several Felt F24 bikes posted.

fietsbob 06-19-17 12:12 PM

Felt makes one too.. see at a Felt dealer, of course.

Lower your expectations that others can find that used bike for you..

jonstifler 06-22-17 01:17 AM

Age of the kid?

CliffordK 06-22-17 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by jonstifler (Post 19669472)
Age of the kid?

Also male or female? Relatively tall or short? Maybe height?

Also a location might help.

I got my nephew a Fuji Ace 24 and Fuji Ace 650. They are one of the lower cost kid's road bikes. I almost think he would have fit on the 650 at age 8, and we could have skipped the 24. He is now 11, I think, and should be just about ready for a really short 700c bike (vintage, horizontal TT). I found a reasonably good deal on an older Trek, probably Reynolds 531, but it will need a complete tune-up.

For small vintage 27" or 700c bikes, keep an eye open on Craigslist or even local thrift stores. Probably only Craigslist or E-Bay (or stores) for the 24" or 650c bikes. I don't see a lot of the 24"/650c bikes showing up on Craigslist, but I assume more show up in larger cities. Other people have found some really nice vintage 24" or 650c bikes.

My niece won't ride what she considers to be a "Boys Bike". However, she has been riding Mom's mixte in the summers since about age 10. Anyway, a vintage mixte with your choice of bars is something that a girl might grow with for several years.

BradGad 09-22-17 08:24 AM

Hi everyone... I'm interested in this thread too. My 17-year-old and I have bikes we're happy with. Need something for an 11-year-old boy just a smidge under 5 feet.

We mostly ride roads but need moderate trail capability.

The Felt and Fuji look like possibilities, but I'd be interested in any other suggestions as well.

(We're in NE Georgia, USA)

joanwturner 12-16-17 04:11 AM

I think the above link will help you.

JLevera 02-03-18 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by BradGad (Post 19879682)
Hi everyone... I'm interested in this thread too. My 17-year-old and I have bikes we're happy with. Need something for an 11-year-old boy just a smidge under 5 feet.

We mostly ride roads but need moderate trail capability.

The Felt and Fuji look like possibilities, but I'd be interested in any other suggestions as well.

(We're in NE Georgia, USA)

I suggest you check Bike Radar or Best Comparer for bikes that would fit for your 11 year old.

mdouthit 02-20-18 09:55 PM

performance bike website try that