Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Introductions (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Bike Maintenance Newbie (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1179637)

qgottwig 07-29-19 08:50 AM

Bike Maintenance Newbie

Hello!

I've recently acquired an 80s Schwinn road bike from a neighbor that needs a lot a work to become road worthy again. I've been hard at work refurbishing the bike, getting replacement parts, repainting etc... There are a couples steps in this process I'm struggling with, especially now that I am trying to reassemble all the various parts, that I'm hoping you all will be able to help with. I also need to get 10 posts under my belt before I can post some pictures of what I'm struggling with so stay tuned and thanks in advance for the help!

rseeker 07-29-19 09:00 AM

Hi and welcome. You're in the right place, and many people will be happy to help.

Siu Blue Wind 07-29-19 11:07 AM

Hello and welcome! We have a bike mechanics section where there are a lot of people there who can help. Congrats on your new bike!

delbiker1 07-29-19 01:41 PM

Welcome, I am mechanically challenged. I bought some tools and started the process of learning the more involved aspects of bike maintenance. BikeForum members have been very generous and informative with my questions. My skills, and patience, could still use much improvement. My willingness to attempt a bike related fix has grown along with the confidence. Stick with it and do not fear asking a question.

qgottwig 07-29-19 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by delbiker1 (Post 21050246)
Welcome, I am mechanically challenged. I bought some tools and started the process of learning the more involved aspects of bike maintenance. BikeForum members have been very generous and informative with my questions. My skills, and patience, could still use much improvement. My willingness to attempt a bike related fix has grown along with the confidence. Stick with it and do not fear asking a question.

Thanks for the encouragement. I learned my first valuable lesson. Always take pictures before you disassemble your entire bike :P

delbiker1 07-29-19 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by qgottwig (Post 21050297)
Thanks for the encouragement. I learned my first valuable lesson. Always take pictures before you disassemble your entire bike :P

Yes, and when you get to 10 posts, pictures with your bike questions are appreciated by those who wish to help you. Help them help you.

fast_eddie_72 07-29-19 04:55 PM

I just started fixing up bikes myself and have found regular maintenance stuff fairly easy and very rewarding. Good luck with the project!

qgottwig 07-30-19 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by fast_eddie_72 (Post 21050575)
I just started fixing up bikes myself and have found regular maintenance stuff fairly easy and very rewarding. Good luck with the project!

It certainly is rewarding. I just hope I get to the point where I can do things quick enough and don't feel like the money I saved is offset by the amount of hours I had to put in!!

qgottwig 07-30-19 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by delbiker1 (Post 21050512)
Yes, and when you get to 10 posts, pictures with your bike questions are appreciated by those who wish to help you. Help them help you.

Thank you, great advice. Always good to send a picture since bikes come in many different shape and sizes!

Dannihilator 07-30-19 07:46 PM

Welcome to the forums.

qgottwig 08-01-19 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dannihilator (Post 21052618)
Welcome to the forums.

Thanks!

2cam16 08-01-19 03:57 PM

10! Now let's see the bike.

Trsnrtr 08-02-19 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by 2cam16 (Post 21055556)
10! Now let's see the bike.

Welcome! And what he said. :)