Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Getting grumpy when unable to ride (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1184340)

NoWhammies 09-24-19 09:28 AM

Getting grumpy when unable to ride

Due to life getting in the way of riding, I haven't been on my bike in over two weeks. I have noticed that my overall attitude is starting to hit the crapper and I can only chalk it up to not being able to get out on my bike. I've been able to do other physical activities, just not hit the open road - on trails for mountain biking.

Anyone else have this? We can call it Bicycle Affected Disorder or BADS for short.

smullen 09-24-19 10:55 AM

I recently have started riding again and really look forward to it.

When I have a ride planned and something (work, wife or kid related) comes up and I don't get to, I get a bit grumpy about it....
Same with shooting, I like to shoot every other weekend if not every, if two or more weeks go by and I've not had my trigger time, I get grumpy... If I miss any of the carious competitions I like to shoot in, I get really grumpy..

sheddle 09-24-19 10:56 AM

me: god, why do people even feel compelled to n+1? one road bike is all you need
me when my bike is in the shop and I'm desperate to get my daily ride in: oh

Kapusta 09-24-19 11:02 AM

Yes. It started happening to me when I moved to Upstate NY and the crappy winters kept me off my MTB for 6 months each winter, and I don't like long road rides when it is freezing cold out (short commutes are fine).

The cure was a fat bike to ride trails in the winter. My wife tells me that I became much nicer to be around after that.

krazebill 09-24-19 11:02 AM

You need multiples of each style you ride! 2 or more Road bikes, 2 Mtn Bikes, a gravel bike and a recreational bike!

pdlamb 09-24-19 11:37 AM

BADS is a good name for the affliction. I knew I had it bad one summer. After a spring of my wife griping about being a bicycle widow, work, bad weather, etc. meant I hadn't been riding for over a week, and she told me one Saturday morning, "Just go for a bike ride!" I was apparently much more pleasant when I got back home.

restlessswind 09-24-19 01:39 PM

Yes, I get grumpy when I can't ride. It's mostly due to rain, cold or fog. (I commute a good 17+ miles each way), and other times when family matters get in the way. I think of bicycling as my new smoking: I need to bike after I stuff my belly with food too. I get cranky when
I can't ride often.

BobbyG 09-25-19 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by NoWhammies (Post 21136163)
...I haven't been on my bike in over two weeks. I have noticed that my overall attitude is starting to hit the crapper...

Two WEEKS?
I commute most days and I get BADS after two DAYS off the bike.

DrIsotope 09-25-19 07:01 AM

If no one has seen me on a bike in two weeks, I've been abducted or I'm dead. I can barely go 48 hours between rides.

Lemond1985 09-25-19 07:06 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...296d741ce5.jpg

I think of bicycling as my new smoking: I need to bike after I stuff my belly with food too.
:lol: Quote of the day.

Milton Keynes 09-25-19 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by NoWhammies (Post 21136163)
Due to life getting in the way of riding, I haven't been on my bike in over two weeks. I have noticed that my overall attitude is starting to hit the crapper and I can only chalk it up to not being able to get out on my bike. I've been able to do other physical activities, just not hit the open road - on trails for mountain biking.

Anyone else have this? We can call it Bicycle Affected Disorder or BADS for short.

Yes, very much during the winter months. Around February or March I really get antsy and want to get back on on the bike. I do still ride until the temperature gets down to around freezing, and then I have a trainer I can put my bike on. But it's just not the same as actually getting on the bike and riding somewhere.

Gyro 09-25-19 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 21137493)
Yes, very much during the winter months. Around February or March I really get antsy and want to get back on on the bike. I do still ride until the temperature gets down to around freezing, and then I have a trainer I can put my bike on. But it's just not the same as actually getting on the bike and riding somewhere.

I'm the same. If the roads in the local cemetery are ice free, I load up the bike and ride four mile figure eight's until it to cold to continue.

Stratocaster 09-25-19 08:55 AM

I've ridden once in the past month or so due to 2 bad hamstrings (baseball) and family issues. Yes, I'm crabby about it...but I hope to get out this Friday. :thumb:

NoWhammies 09-25-19 09:54 AM

Well it is good to know I am not alone in this. What's worse, is that I have recently bought a mountain bike for the express purpose of getting out on a bike during the winter months. But I have yet to ride the bike. The bike is just sitting there in the garage, tempting me. Oh life can be so cruel!

Milton Keynes 09-25-19 03:04 PM

One that that made it rough this year was all the rain we had. It has been an exceptionally wet year, and we even had flooding around our town since the river came way up on one side of town, and a creek on the other side of town which flows into the river. Luckily the highways never got covered (though we expected them to be) but a lot of the rural roads were flooded. But just when I thought I might be able to ride, we'd get more rain.

wipekitty 09-25-19 05:49 PM

I definitely suffer from BADS.

My problem is that it's not enough to simply ride a bike for a bit - it has to be a good effort to keep my BADS at bay. Preferably rides with some zippy descents and/or the possibility of pushing myself to the point of near vomit.

Last winter, I got BADS - despite doing my short commute and errands around my small town by bike. With the polar vortex and way too much ice and snow, I couldn't let 'er rip. A trainer (something I said I'd never use) helped...a bit. There was also a rough two weeks or so over the summer due to a cross-country move while also being a bit injured. In both cases, getting back on the bike improved my mood and my relationships with others significantly.

Darth Lefty 09-25-19 06:13 PM

I'm fine off the bike as long as I'm anticipating it. The thing that gets me is having the plan and then having the plan dashed.

NoWhammies 09-25-19 10:04 PM

Finally! Made it out for a 10k mountain bike ride after work. Felt good to be out again.

Slightspeed 09-25-19 11:44 PM

We had new driveway, patio and walkways replaced almost a week ago. With moving plants, touching up paint, and general yard cleanup, I've only been on the bike twice the last couple of weeks. Its been 90° or higher most days this week, so working in the yard hasn't been too much fun. This whole post sounds pretty whiny, so here's mine. There is a club ride tomorrow, one of my favorite rides. I did get out on the old Peugeot for a great ride Sunday, mo problem. This afternoon I went out to check the Pug for tomorrow's ride, and found BOTH tires flat. They both made it home from a 37 mile ride Sunday. I haven't touched the bike all week - both flat tonight. I'm tired and have more paintng and cleanup to do, and was considering skipping tomorrow's ride. The flat tires sealed the deal. The only thing worse than yardwork and painting is wrestling TWO Panaracer Paselas off and back on the rim. 😡 Yes, I'm grumpy, but you asked for it.