Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   NYC drivers mow down bike lane bollards (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1195040)

detroitjim 03-02-20 05:43 PM

NYC drivers mow down bike lane bollards

NYC drivers mow down bike lane bollards. Took them less than 48 hours after installation.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a7332684d4.jpg

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2020/02/...e-in-24-hours/

bikemig 03-02-20 05:54 PM

Make the barrier out of something strong enough to do some serious damage to a car that tries to mow it down.

blue192 03-02-20 05:58 PM

Unfortunately this is what happens when you place a driver on commission.

Clyde1820 03-02-20 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by bikemig (Post 21350702)
Make the barrier out of something strong enough to do some serious damage to a car that tries to mow it down.

^ This.

Unless there are severe ramifications for destructive acts, such people will continue doing them. And such features of public resources will keep getting defaced, destroyed.

One bright spot of the surveillance society might be, though: these cretins probably had their license plates and faces captured multiple times heading into and out of the area, even proof of them doing the act.

FiftySix 03-02-20 06:05 PM

Ought to read the comments and link provided by Dr. Bones.

"Dr. Bones11 hours ago Ok, die hard NY bike rider here. But I’m going to ask the hard questions—-is that in a turn zone? Why are those posts several feet further to the right than those further down the road? Is it even possible for a truck to get past them without going two inches per hr?"

"Dr. Bones Vooch9 hours ago • This picture:

pic.twitter.com/WVJArxb5Eu

shows that the row which was destroyed is a foot or so out from the ones further on down the street. It's right on the white traffic line. Why? I'm just asking. They are almost as far from the bike lane as the bike lane is wide. Seems like a bit of a squeeze, for no particular reason."

"Dr. Bones Dr. Bones8 hours ago
And again, sorry to be nit--picky....but the first picture in the row at the top of the article is not a picture of the row that was destroyed. Notice that the traffic line is a foot or so to its right, and the citibikes are visible. The second two pics are taken closer to the street entrance where the row is on that same white line. I wonder if they installed it wrong."

whitecat 03-08-20 12:36 PM

The barrier should be made like an scaffold from construction steel, on top of which you mount tool steel prongs which are carbide tipped with razor sharp points. Now THAT would shred some sheet metal on a car or truck that scraped it. Might even lacerate and kill drivers, cutting them into meat rolls, like bloody rolls of tape. I really think nobody would try to drive into that.

arbee 03-08-20 07:28 PM

In NYC, this highlights how useless bollards are. What's in these pix are the sturdier bollards. Typically, what NYC's DOT employs could be knocked over by a light breeze. Much / most / all of the damage in these pix was done by delivery vans: USPS / FedEx / UPS, etc. Which is to say: these vehicles aren't driven by folks who own them. What the delivery vans merely wound is finished off by for-hire (Lyft / Uber) vehicles.

FiftySix 03-09-20 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by whitecat (Post 21357987)
The barrier should be made like an scaffold from construction steel, on top of which you mount tool steel prongs which are carbide tipped with razor sharp points.Now THAT would shred some sheet metal on a car or truck that scraped it. Might even lacerate and kill drivers, cutting them into meat rolls, like bloody rolls of tape. I really think nobody would try to drive into that.

And it's right next to a bike lane where the bike commuters and cyclists are not in protective cages. Shouldn't be a problem.

Pratt 03-17-20 01:45 PM

Perhaps NYC could use some of its red light cameras to catch the culprits. If they start to make $$$ off of bike lanes, they might put in more of them

Gyro 03-18-20 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pratt (Post 21371513)
Perhaps NYC could use some of its red light cameras to catch the culprits. If they start to make $$$ off of bike lanes, they might put in more of them

It my city, red light cameras were removed because "the wrong people were being caught" mayor comment. The city then turned over all the unpaid tickets to a collection agency. I'd bet, no one made $$$ from them .

TakingMyTime 03-19-20 12:51 PM

Reinstall them and have every 10th one made of concrete. Make sure they all look the same. That should surely surprise someone.

Chistophe516 03-21-20 10:09 PM

Not surprised.

LeoBoon 03-23-20 11:44 AM

Maybe it is time to get these incidents recorded on video. We have had several incidents caught on GoPro bike cams that had drivers prosecuted in court.

Daniel4 03-23-20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime (Post 21374290)
Reinstall them and have every 10th one made of concrete. Make sure they all look the same. That should surely surprise someone.

Too combative. Install planters for flowers, bushes and trees.

Notso_fastLane 03-24-20 07:15 AM

What's wrong with combative? stupidity should hurt.

jon c. 03-24-20 08:22 AM

Bollards are used in places where it is expected they'll be mowed down from time to time. If they wanted a wall, they'd build one.

JoeyBike 03-27-20 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by bikemig (Post 21350702)

Make them out of skunks. ;)