Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Wabi (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1188797)

jack pot 11-24-19 08:39 AM

Wabi

is WABI gone from tulsa ... is WABI GONE ... has WABI been sold ... what happened https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...695b9ee427.jpg

ceelint 11-24-19 08:44 AM

Looks like they are based in Colorado now

Senrab62 11-24-19 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by jack pot (Post 21221303)
is WABI gone from tulsa ... is WABI GONE ... has WABI been sold ... what happened https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...695b9ee427.jpg

Simple internet search shows them in Denver Colorado.

I used to live there, it's a great place to visit.

Colorado Kid 11-24-19 02:47 PM

What happen?

I know they were based in OK for some rime. Who bought them out and what happen? I heard rumors for months they were moving but this is the first, concrete proof I heard of the move. Wish them the best best. Super bikes.!!

seau grateau 11-24-19 11:05 PM

They're basically a mail order company, so I don't see how it matters much.

Caliper 11-26-19 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by seau grateau (Post 21222217)
They're basically a mail order company, so I don't see how it matters much.

Where one sends ones money is something worth pondering.

TejanoTrackie 11-28-19 09:17 PM

What matters most is who runs the company. After Richard Snook sold Wabi to them Okies, it was never the same.

Onfixiate 12-01-19 12:44 PM

In Tulsa, they went from a trendy boutique style bike shop to a dumpy warehouse, then moved to Colorado. Possibly a dumpy warehouse there. Who knows. At least one of the Okies is no longer involved, and may not even live in OK any longer. The company must have new owners.

I just turned 10,000 miles logged on my Wabi Special, bought from Richard Wabi.(joke. I know his last name is Snook)

It has been an expensive "budget" bike in the long run. The stock components aren't very good. I had a rear wheel failure at barely 4,000 miles, and the drivetrain components aren't really suited for high mileage riders. BB gave out, chain was literally junk, cheap tires that got replaced in the first 2 weeks of ownership, seat post that kept slipping, etc. I have a pretty good sized fleet of bikes and really have come to expect a lot from them, when they're spec'd with decent parts. I still have a new in box Wabi Classic frame that I will build up properly, and I would suggest that is a more cost effective way to get into a Wabi. Paying for a complete bike then having to replace everything makes no sense at all. The frame is good quality, and with or without a decal/brand label, it is probably on par with any other mass produced steel frame churned out in Taiwan.

TejanoTrackie 12-01-19 08:29 PM

^^^ I agree in general regarding the stock components on the old Richard Snook era Wabis, but at the time they were priced low enough to justify the economy quality parts. Other similarly priced steel framed SSFG bikes such as the Surly Steamroller and All City Big Block also came came with cheap stock tires, chains, saddles etc. As to wheel problems, I’ve never had any, and am curious as to which model wheels you have and what was the specific nature of the failure.

StirFry 12-01-19 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie (Post 21229685)
^^^ I agree in general regarding the stock components on the old Richard Snook era Wabis, but at the time they were priced low enough to justify the economy quality parts. Other similarly priced steel framed SSFG bikes such as the Surly Steamroller and All City Big Block also came came with cheap stock tires, chains, saddles etc. As to wheel problems, I’ve never had any, and am curious as to which model wheels you have and what was the specific nature of the failure.

I had one of the bolts break on my standard wheel set from richard back in the day. Head snapped right off.

Onfixiate 12-02-19 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie (Post 21229685)
^^^ As to wheel problems, I’ve never had any, and am curious as to which model wheels you have and what was the specific nature of the failure.

I threw them away. I don't recall exactly what they were, but they were the black anodized rims, with retention nuts on the axles-- not the current bolt on style, and not the extra light model. Spoke nipple pulled thru the rear wheel rim, chunk of rim broke out. The wheel literally pretzeled so bad it jammed in the chainstays. Yep, one spoke! I had to call for a ride. Also,brand new right out of the box (no shipping damage) I had to take the front wheel to my trusted LBS to have it trued. The POS started costing me more money before I even rode it! When I mentioned that in an email to Richard, he basically said 'glad you were able to get it fixed.'
So, that's why I'm not exactly enthusiastic about the fabled Wabi "mystique." He seemed a bit prickly to deal with; and I will never buy a complete bike online again. I was reluctant to in the first place. (I am a 65 yr old, 155 lb roadie and I don't do 'tricks' on my bicycles...)

TejanoTrackie 12-02-19 07:52 AM

^^^ Wow, that is a completely different experience than mine when dealing with Wabi under Richard Snook ! I can certainly understand your POV based on what occurred. For the most part, I’ve purchased my complete bikes from my LBS, and generally use mail/online order for framesets that I build myself. The reason for buying my Wabi complete was that it was a 650c frame (I’m a very short male), and I did not have a ready source for 650c wheels. I ended up replacing all the other components except for the front brake caliper and stem. The tires were replaced immediately and the chain lasted only 500 miles.

TejanoTrackie 12-02-19 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by StirFry (Post 21229799)
I had one of the bolts break on my standard wheel set from richard back in the day. Head snapped right off.

That is a weak point of that design. I use quick release skewers with mine, and a Surly Tuggnut in the rear to prevent axle slippage.

jack pot 12-02-19 09:56 AM

woe is wabi

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie (Post 21226857)
What matters most is who runs the company. After Richard Snook sold Wabi to them Okies, it was never the same.

i got to be "friends" with the 0kies ... always sad to see a small biz fail when it's someone trying to make it in the prefab world BUT IMO the tulsa dream was doomed without a signature quality or design difference >>> a boutique shop is NOT a design or quality difference BTW my upgraded WABI is a great $450 bike that cost app $1800 ********** :foo:

tweekfreekdX 12-02-19 05:37 PM

I cannot attest to the long term quality of the components or the frame. I can tell you the guys in Colorado have great customer service. I have never bought a bike online. As such I asked a whole lot of questions and received prompt concise responses. After ordering the wrong size(measurement error on my end), they were willing to get me on the right frame! I believe I spoke with a guy named Damon, he was super helpful and understanding. If the customer service is a concern I wouldn’t be worried.