Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   LBS charging more than MSRP for parts? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1201025)

Gmile 05-11-20 08:55 AM

LBS charging more than MSRP for parts?

So, I've been going to a new shop lately that's convenient. Over the weekend, a stick jumped up into my sram nx rear derailleur and basically destroyed it. the top pulley flew off, cage twisted. I took the bike to this new shop and was quoted replacement prices over msrp. e.g. $115 for an SX derailleur they had on hand, where MSRP is $85. $150 to order a GX derailleur, which msrp is $125. Plus labor to install, which is fine. Any thoughts on this? Is this done normally? Note that I'm not trying to order parts online below msrp and have them install. I can do the work myself, but have been trying to use professionals more lately, because I admit I suck at wrenching. Thoughts? thanks

JustinOldPhart 05-11-20 09:03 AM

Seems like a non-issue to me. The "S" stands for "Suggested". You asked, they told you. That's their business model, which is their choice. They are free to charge whatever they want to for anything they have put in their inventory. You have choices, too. How much is it at the shop down the street?

HerrKaLeun 05-11-20 09:05 AM

Support your LBS - no matter what!

Thomas15 05-11-20 09:08 AM

You should check the derailleur hanger for bent while you are at it.

Don't have to tool to do this? $80.00

stevel610 05-11-20 09:09 AM

I would show the what I found and ask if they could come to someplace in the middle. If not I would probably still buy the part. It is tough running a brick and mortar store these days.

rydabent 05-11-20 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas15 (Post 21468268)
You should check the derailleur hanger for bent while you are at it.

Don't have to tool to do this? $80.00

These days hopefully you have a quick link for the chain, and an allen wrench to take off the destroyed RD. Their mark up seems a little much. I am willing to pay a little over mfg suggested price to keep a local bike shop in business, but only reasonable amount more.

SlvrDragon50 05-11-20 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun (Post 21468263)
Support your LBS - no matter what!

I don't think getting hosed by paying more than MSRP deserves to be supported... I'll pay like a few bucks more than MSRP, but 25% more is absurd, and they deserve to go out of business.

asgelle 05-11-20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Gmile (Post 21468230)
I took the bike to this new shop and was quoted replacement prices over msrp. e.g. $115 for an SX derailleur they had on hand, where MSRP is $85.

Where do you get $85 as MSRP? That's the price I see at discount mail order sources. There's good chance the shop's wholesale cost is over $85.

hillyman 05-11-20 11:36 AM

I'd don't know what the profit margins for a LBS would be. I do know that bikeparts.com can get it cheaper buying a whole pallet than an LBS can buy just a few.
Sadly I don't go to bike shops much. A new bike only so many years. I do my own repairs and I'm real picky in my parts and accessories. Chances they don't have in stock and I can order myself.

Tacoenthusiast 05-11-20 12:08 PM

I have an lbs that does this, higher than MSRP prices. Like $60+ for an 11 speed chain (ultegra)

Sy Reene 05-11-20 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by asgelle (Post 21468543)
Where do you get $85 as MSRP? That's the price I see at discount mail order sources. There's good chance the shop's wholesale cost is over $85.

When everyone in google shopping returns the exact same price, and a good number of these are also LBSs (to people who live in their neighborhoods), it's a pretty darn good indicator that this is the manufacturer desired price.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...36bd5b9330.jpg

jefnvk 05-11-20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by asgelle (Post 21468543)

Every online shop has it right at $85, including Jenson and Tree Fort, so I suspect it is pretty close. EDIT: oops Sy Reene got to it before me!

If it were $90-95, I would be fine, but a $30 markup is quite a hike. However, your choices are buy at their price, or find a new shop. I'd pick the latter. Well, I'd actually pick buying it online and replacing it myself, but that's another discussion.

BNSF 05-11-20 01:15 PM

MSRP just might really be $115.

San Rensho 05-11-20 01:15 PM

Yeah, the bike shop is a major rip-off. They don't have to pay rent or a mortgage, they don't have to finance their inventory they don't have to pay employees. In fact, they should charge 1/2 of the internet price because you deserve it! You re so entitled! He should be begging you to have the privilege to work for you for free! No maybe, he should pay you to let him work on his bike!

Cheapness is very ugly. Especially against people that are a shoestring budget, that are working for the love of bicycles, and not the money. Learn how to wrench if you don't like it.

asgelle 05-11-20 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by jefnvk (Post 21468772)
Every online shop has it right at $85, including Jenson and Tree Fort, so I suspect it is pretty close. EDIT: oops Sy Reene got to it before me!

You don't understand MSRP or how bike parts distribution works.

asgelle 05-11-20 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21468762)
When everyone in google shopping returns the exact same price, and a good number of these are also LBSs (to people who live in their neighborhoods), it's a pretty darn good indicator that this is the manufacturer desired price.

Have you ever seen a QBP catalog?

79pmooney 05-11-20 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by asgelle (Post 21468806)
You don't understand MSRP or how bike parts distribution works.

+1 "How to make a small fortune. Start with a large one and open a bike shop." I heard that 30 years ago.

Ben

shelbyfv 05-11-20 01:43 PM

Does SRAM publish MSRP? I couldn't find it.

dedhed 05-11-20 02:26 PM

Buy it from Ben's and support my local guys.

Cyclist0108 05-11-20 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gmile (Post 21468230)
So, I've been going to a new shop lately that's convenient. Over the weekend, a stick jumped up into my sram nx rear derailleur and basically destroyed it.

Welcome to the club. This has happened twice to us (with a GX 12-speed rear derailleur. We finally upgraded to Shimano SLX-12).

the top pulley flew off, cage twisted. I took the bike to this new shop and was quoted replacement prices over msrp. e.g. $115 for an SX derailleur they had on hand,
That is list price for the GX. Are you sure they didn't give you that?

where MSRP is $85. $150 to order a GX derailleur, which msrp is $125. Plus labor to install, which is fine. Any thoughts on this? Is this done normally? Note that I'm not trying to order parts online below msrp and have them install. I can do the work myself, but have been trying to use professionals more lately, because I admit I suck at wrenching. Thoughts? thanks
Sounds like they didn't. They are gouging. Find another shop, and/or install SLX-12 and don't look back.

Cyclist0108 05-11-20 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by dedhed (Post 21468937)
Buy it from Ben's and support my local guys.

They have some great deals.

indyfabz 05-11-20 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by JustinOldPhart (Post 21468256)
Seems like a non-issue to me. The "S" stands for "Suggested". You asked, they told you. That's their business model, which is their choice. They are free to charge whatever they want to for anything they have put in their inventory. You have choices, too. How much is it at the shop down the street?

This. Anything else is just for the sake of arguing/bashing, which is what BF is good for.

Ironfish653 05-11-20 02:52 PM

New shop, right? Sounds like they don’t have their supply chain figured out and are getting their parts in at near-retail instead of wholesale.

I get that you have a markup, but they do seem pretty high. It’s almost as bad as German car parts, lol.

Oneder 05-11-20 02:58 PM

No other business has to pay high rent or pay employees, just local bike shops lol Seriously, if they provide use and value to you then great, otherwise don't bother with them. I don't bother with mine but not so much because they are expensive but they just suck and don't really provide anything useful.

Gmile 05-11-20 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21468957)
This. Anything else is just for the sake of arguing/bashing, which is what BF is good for.

FWIW, I think it's a legitimate question. I'm not an industry professional, don't follow this stuff, and can happily go somewhere else, but I kind of like the shop. There are a bunch of tourist bike rental places around, but not sure i trust them. This shop is the most "serious" in the area and seems to have the best techs. Maybe their upcharge is for the privilege of them working on your bike? Maybe it's even worth it.