Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   BMX (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Any advice on Technique bike appreciated (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1166621)

mrglassonbike 02-17-19 02:43 PM

Any advice on Technique bike appreciated
 
Cleaning out garage and I came across this Technique bike. I would like to sell it but I do not really know anything about bicycles and this brand has been difficult for me to research. Can anyone please give me some friendly advice on what I actually have here or how to find more information about it for selling purposes. Im just trying to not get ripped off too badly here. I realize that subjects like this can be a matter of opinion, so any opinion and advice is greatly appreciated through PM also. Below are a few pics and brands that I can read off the bike. As I said, I do not know much about bikes so I apologize if call a part by the wrong name :-)


Technique frame with no big scuffs or chips

Brev pedals

Answer forks

Dotek crank

Crupi sprocket

RL hubs

RL steering head

mrglassonbike 02-17-19 02:56 PM

Pics
 
I guess I can not post pictures until I have 10 post. Interesting.

tds101 02-17-19 04:05 PM

So,...let's keep this convo going so we can get those pics posted.

uncleivan 02-18-19 10:13 PM

Well made frames, though with the dotek cranks, makes me wonder if its a mini, or junior..

Rajflyboy 02-19-19 06:16 AM

I will buy it from you. What size top tube? I’m assuming 20’ wheels.

mrglassonbike 02-20-19 01:52 AM


Originally Posted by tds101 (Post 20799436)
So,...let's keep this convo going so we can get those pics posted.

Smart man :-)

mrglassonbike 02-20-19 02:23 AM

Thank you guys for replying and trying to help me out. Im not really sure how to measure a bike frame but Ill do some searching on google. This will be my 10th post so Im guessing I have to come back in another 24 hours to post the pics. Hopefully the pics will help us out in identifying what I actually have. I dont know anything about the brand Technique but I will say that I am thoroughly impressed with the weld work, polish work, and light frame. Probably something you BMX guys are use to, but impressive to me. Be back soon.

Bikerider007 02-20-19 08:03 PM

Dont know those but very cool looking based on search. Has to have some decent value.

mrglassonbike 02-21-19 02:01 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...532cea0f7f.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fabe9e597a.jpg

tds101 02-21-19 03:48 PM

Wow,...beautiful bike.

mrglassonbike 02-21-19 04:56 PM


Originally Posted by tds101 (Post 20806199)
Wow,...beautiful bike.

Thank you TDS. Any opinion on where I should value it for sale?

tds101 02-21-19 05:37 PM


Originally Posted by mrglassonbike (Post 20806300)
Thank you TDS. Any opinion on where I should value it for sale?

LoL! I'm actually not well versed in bmx bike values, but I believe this is where you can get info: bmxmuseum

Bikerider007 02-21-19 08:11 PM

That is pretty and interesting. I dont know these but it is set up as a mini it appears. The seat and forks, looks like thinner rims. I believe the cranks were mentioned. If it is, that affects values being for a lightweight rider. The frame looks fairly normal to me though, but not sure.

fietsbob 02-22-19 12:14 PM

Watch the Bike Moto-Cross films from the last 2 Olympics , that's the kind of Racing that bike is made for ...


edit, (OK its selling value , not riding , you really wanted.)








.....

mrglassonbike 02-22-19 08:59 PM


Originally Posted by tds101 (Post 20806350)
LoL! I'm actually not well versed in bmx bike values, but I believe this is where you can get info: bmxmuseum


I checked bmxmuseum several times and could only find one example for $1300. Im not sure if that was even sold.

mrglassonbike 02-22-19 09:12 PM


Originally Posted by Bikerider007 (Post 20806536)
That is pretty and interesting. I dont know these but it is set up as a mini it appears. The seat and forks, looks like thinner rims. I believe the cranks were mentioned. If it is, that affects values being for a lightweight rider. The frame looks fairly normal to me though, but not sure.

If you mean mini, as in, setup for a child. I would have to agree. Its very uncomfortable for me to ride and would fit a small kid perfectly. The wheels are indeed very thin. How did you guys know that it might be a mini just by the dotek crank?

Bikerider007 02-23-19 08:48 AM


Originally Posted by mrglassonbike (Post 20808106)
If you mean mini, as in, setup for a child. I would have to agree. Its very uncomfortable for me to ride and would fit a small kid perfectly. The wheels are indeed very thin. How did you guys know that it might be a mini just by the dotek crank?

The seat is obviously a mini. Tire width, bars are usually open (no cross) and fork decal says mini. I dont know Dotek, I grew up in the eighties. I can only assume they made shorter length crank arms. Mini frame probably won't fit wider tires. That is a great bike though.

Frame sizing
https://www.newhorizonsbikes.com/art...zing-pg219.htm

Bikerider007 02-23-19 09:06 AM

Btw. I have not seen one of these for sale. Have seen mini GT, Redline etc. They seem to list at $250-350. But I've seen some 90s GTs sit at $150. This appears high quality race so I would put above those, but the market is limited. I would also weigh it as well to compare to others. And for selling point. If you do and don't mind, post it, I'd like to know.

mrglassonbike 03-01-19 02:38 AM


Originally Posted by Bikerider007 (Post 20808458)
Btw. I have not seen one of these for sale. Have seen mini GT, Redline etc. They seem to list at $250-350. But I've seen some 90s GTs sit at $150. This appears high quality race so I would put above those, but the market is limited. I would also weigh it as well to compare to others. And for selling point. If you do and don't mind, post it, I'd like to know.


Thanks a ton Bikerider. You really have been extremely helpful. I now know a lot more about the bike. Still dont have a clue what to sell it for but I know its not a full size bike and seems to be pretty hard to find. I guess Ill find a few websites where I can post it. As you requested, Ill update you what it sells for.

fietsbob 03-04-19 10:06 AM

BMX is all standing to pedal , seat down , out of the way as the bike moves underneath you in the race..

do you know what a 'Moto' is?

mrglassonbike 03-05-19 01:33 PM


Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20821885)
BMX is all standing to pedal , seat down , out of the way as the bike moves underneath you in the race..

do you know what a 'Moto' is?

Ahh, I did not know that. If moto is a dirt bike term then I think I do. Maybe I have a regular frame setup for a smaller rider. Ill have to look into that. Thank you.

fietsbob 03-07-19 04:15 PM

I suspect they. past owner, put a long seat post on it to make it into just a smaller child's bike ...
Does it extend well into the frame? , that exposed line suggests not... lower it or risk breaking the frame..

The cranks are another part a past owner likely changed to suit their personal preference..


they repurposed the bike through changing a few parts.. for their child to ride, I must assume...




Motos are a series of elimination races..





....






....

uncleivan 03-07-19 08:45 PM

It's a 20" expert frame. 1 1/8 wheels unless someone just slapped those on its hard to tell on my phone. The last frame... expert 20" like yours that sold on the museum went for $219. That was frame only, in July of 17. There is not a big collector market for vintage mini seats, cranks, wheelsets ect unless for display. They all have weight limits that unless you weigh 80- 100 pounds are useless to most.
hard to say what to list it for. I'd put a reserve on it... see what happens. Some guys will build one just so their son or daughter will have a match to their pro xl, or 24 cruiser


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.