Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Living Car Free (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Uses for old parked cars (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1158580)

tandempower 10-22-18 03:04 PM

Uses for old parked cars

If you have giving up driving and you have an old parked car, you might not want to sell it. Here are some uses for old parked cars:

1) solar sauna
2) burglar deterrent (similar to scarecrow)
3) place to sit and reminisce about traffic jams and red lights
4) meditation chamber
5) lookout post
6) selfie studio
7) ultimate play vehicle for children
8) LCF trophy
9) make money by starting a phishing scam & post scam phone number on 'for sale' sign, which goes to a recorded advertising message when called.
. . . (tip: lower asking price = more calls)
10)advertise LCF by putting sign on car that reads, "living car free."

I made this list in the spirit of the old Letterman top 10 lists, but feel free to add more, serious and/or humorous.

GrainBrain 10-22-18 03:18 PM

Well seriously, jack the car up slightly so the tires won't get flat spotted.

Dump a thing of fuel stabilizer into a full tank of non-ethanol gas and let the vehicle idle for ten minutes or drive around.

Some kind of varmint deterrent scattered around the car, preferably the car is not on grass. I hear mice hate dryer sheets?

A car cover. UV light is the ultimate destroyer of rubber.

It wouldn't hurt to pull spark plugs and douse cylinder walls with WD40.

Pull air inlet hose between filter box and intake, seal intake with plastic bag and duct tape/zip ties.

Disconnect battery, place battery tender on it.

Man I wish I had worked harder to be car free, we were really close to it a few years ago but then I took a job 15 miles outta town.
​​​​​​​

linberl 10-23-18 08:41 PM

I'm planning on getting rid of the car Dec.1st and I will donate it to our local animal rescue agency. It still runs well but doesn't look all that great, but I am sure they can get some $ for it. I donated one of my cars about 10 years ago to them as well (they auction them off). Doing "good" with something that wasn't good for the environment makes me feel a little bit better.

Oldbikeride 10-23-18 09:33 PM

That old parked car

If you no longer are going to use a car, I would not look to find some secondary use for it. When a car sits, the seals start leaking, the tires go flat, rodents start making a home out of it and they just become an eyesore. I would donate it, sell it, junk it or give it away.

tandempower 10-27-18 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Oldbikeride (Post 20630605)
If you no longer are going to use a car, I would not look to find some secondary use for it. When a car sits, the seals start leaking, the tires go flat, rodents start making a home out of it and they just become an eyesore. I would donate it, sell it, junk it or give it away.

Good ideas!:

11) rodent terrarium (handy for pet snakes)
12) ultimate hamster cage

fietsbob 10-27-18 04:38 PM

Oregon Lawn Ornament

a place for blackberry vines to proliferate , and cover..

or donate it to a 501c3 non profit for a tax break ..

I-Like-To-Bike 10-27-18 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20636472)

or donate it to a 501c3 non profit for a tax break ..

Or better yet, donate it as a gift to charity regardless of any tax deduction considerations.

I suspect the alleged tax break from a car donation to a charitable organization is a moot point for the would-be car free posters on this list who are not likely to have either the income or enough other legitimate deductions to get any tax benefit from the donation of a junker car.

Rollfast 10-27-18 07:50 PM

In Oregon you can receive a tax credit by donating your car to benefit OPB (Oregon Public Broadcasting). It doesn't matter if it runs or not, they get their monies from the scrap sales.

tandempower 10-28-18 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 20636596)
Or better yet, donate it as a gift to charity regardless of any tax deduction considerations.

I suspect the alleged tax break from a car donation to a charitable organization is a moot point for the would-be car free posters on this list who are not likely to have either the income or enough other legitimate deductions to get any tax benefit from the donation of a junker car.

Not to mention the fact that you might feel pro-car by authorizing the government to subsidize someone else's purchase of a car just because you are the one getting the money.

I-Like-To-Bike 10-28-18 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by tandempower (Post 20637385)
Not to mention the fact that you might feel pro-car by authorizing the government to subsidize someone else's purchase of a car just because you are the one getting the money.

A "fact" only in a unique and imagined alternate reality.

Rollfast 10-28-18 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by tandempower (Post 20637385)

Few of those donated cars are in any running condition or they would be in use.

Did you mention shelter for inner city snowball fights?

The judges say yes.

tandempower 10-29-18 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rollfast (Post 20637851)
Did you mention shelter for inner city snowball fights?

The judges say yes.

13) shelter for snowball fights

(why exclude the suburbs from the fun by limiting it to the inner city?)

wipekitty 10-29-18 10:03 PM

GOATS. (I didn't take this picture, but it's from a cool lady I know who runs a farm/animal sanctuary.)

I actually sold my parked car. My city is pretty strict about cars that haven't moved in a while, even on one's property. The teenager I sold it to got a good town runner with a few years of life left.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f80e597f4b.jpg

SHBR 10-29-18 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 20636596)

This is the most sensible reply I have seen from you......ever.

Seriously, the worst thing that people do with cars is let them sit and rot, there are youtube channels devoted to fixing up old cars, and when compared to the depreciation of most new cars, it usually makes financial sense to buy secondhand.

Damn, I'm glad I'm car free though, it was fun when it was cheap, not anymore though.

In the good old days, my entire car budget, including price of the car, gas, maintenance and insurance was between $1000 & $2000USD/year.

tandempower 10-30-18 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 20639817)
GOATS. (I didn't take this picture, but it's from a cool lady I know who runs a farm/animal sanctuary.)

14) goat perch/platform

fietsbob 11-03-18 01:21 PM

Place to Collect Police citations for leaving an inoperable vehicle ,
on the public street..?

tandempower 11-04-18 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20646584)
Place to Collect Police citations for leaving an inoperable vehicle ,
on the public street..?

15) Bait for parking citations and towing.

Rollfast 11-08-18 12:02 AM

Good old dystopian apartment living.

zowie 01-09-19 12:08 PM

Dog house. Seriously.

2manybikes 01-09-19 12:25 PM

Target practice.

I-Like-To-Bike 01-09-19 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 20739707)
Target practice.

Like this?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f7cf6346ed.jpg

fietsbob 01-09-19 06:07 PM

Once flattened or Crushed into a solid-cube, you can build a wall out of them....

Rollfast 01-10-19 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 20739967)

Some kid would have loved to fix that Civic up with performance parts and a loud exhaust...

I have a friend who used to blow up washing machines, TVs and such and film at high speed (when you could still do that and not raise eyebrows) then show them at normal speed so they would fly apart slowly. A free spirit long before the internet.

2manybikes 01-10-19 07:02 PM

:lol: Yes! Exactly like that!

tandempower 01-11-19 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20740291)
Once flattened or Crushed into a solid-cube, you can build a wall out of them....

Or paint them to look like giant dice.