Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Will you ever go disc? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1171176)

carlos danger 04-22-19 02:40 PM

Will you ever go disc?

Seeing as most makers now make road bikes with discs I wonder if most people will transition to discs or simply continue to run rim brakes until the end of time.

Personally I've been on discs since 2008. And I kinda like them. I only have one bike with rim brakes and I pretty much only use it when its dry and sunny outside so I have no problems with them. They work just as good as discs in those conditions.

rumrunn6 04-22-19 02:45 PM

I recently got a MTB w disc brakes & when I upgrade my road bike I will look for the same. I buy used, so it may be a few years before I can afford a road bike w discs

datlas 04-22-19 02:49 PM

I have a "forever" road bike made of Ti that is set up for rim brakes. I have no intention of switching to discs anytime soon, but never say never.

Seattle Forrest 04-22-19 02:57 PM

I already did. Prefer it this way.

caloso 04-22-19 03:01 PM

Cross bike? Sure. Mountain bike? Sure. Road bike? Nope.

noodle soup 04-22-19 03:05 PM

12 months ago I would have said no to discs, but I got a great deal on the bike I wanted(but with discs). I bought it, and have no regrets. Discs work better in all conditions.

You don’t always need the benefits, but they are still there. The weight difference is real, but the penalty is negligible.

If I was buying a TT bike, I’d probably go with rim brakes.

f4rrest 04-22-19 03:07 PM

I was happy to have disc on a rental road bike in Maui, where it's wet, twisty, and steep in some places.

On the other hand, in socal it's unnecessary for me on the road.

I'm sure rim calipers and compatible wheels will continue to be available for decades, even if they're eventually phased out on new bikes.

Homebrew01 04-22-19 03:31 PM

I have too many rim-brake bikes and wheels already. Don't expect to get a new bike any time soon, and it's convenient to be able to swap wheels around.

Iride01 04-22-19 03:38 PM

I used to say friction shifters were the only shifter I'd ever need/want. Boy was I wrong and wish I'd switched to indexed shifting years sooner.

However disc brakes just seem to complicate wheel changes too much. As well, it seems they will add more maintenance to what is currently a very low maintenance item for me.

I certainly can't say never. Might be that eventually it will be all I can buy.

CliffordK 04-22-19 03:38 PM

I seem to be at least 10 years behind the curve on purchasing bike stuff, but trying to catch up. :)

So, perhaps by 2030 it will be time to "go disc". :)

Of course, by that time, I may be old enough to not really care.

rubiksoval 04-22-19 03:41 PM

No. I'm not one for fads and solutions to problems I don't have.

79pmooney 04-22-19 03:41 PM

Not likely. I've got too many rim brake bikes, all with very good stopping power plus I have 55 years of experience riding and stopping in the rain. Got into the habit of slightly dragging the brakes in major wet riding a long time ago anytime I might need to stop.

I change out wheel all the time. I flip fix gear wheels, have several wheels for each dropout width standard with different FW/cassettes and tires and borrow wheels of different bikes. No desire for yet another wheel standard. Love how easy rim brake wheels are to swap. Plus light, cheap and easy to maintain. And it gives me an excuse to do my favorite hobby without going into wheel N+1, replace the rim and rebuild the wheel.

Ben

Dean V 04-22-19 03:43 PM

Yes, I will and have. But not exclusively.
Have bikes with both and am happy to ride either.

ThermionicScott 04-22-19 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 20895865)
12 months ago I would have said no to discs, but I got a great deal on the bike I wanted(but with discs). I bought it, and have no regrets. Discs work better in all conditions.

You don’t always need the benefits, but they are still there. The weight difference is real, but the penalty is negligible.

That's likely how it would happen for me. I'm pretty happy with C&V bikes, but I may want a new bike someday, and rim-brake options are disappearing.

FlashBazbo 04-22-19 03:52 PM

I already made the switch. Braking modulation (all the time) and power (in the wet) are important to me. I still have one bike with rim brakes, but I never use them -- the bike resides full-time on my trainer.

cthenn 04-22-19 03:56 PM

Not if I can help it. However, the decision may be made for me in the near future, the next time I go to buy a new road bike.

Psimet2001 04-22-19 04:04 PM

It doesn't matter. If you continue to ride road and at some point need to buy a new bike then the decision will be made for you.

Pilot321 04-22-19 04:05 PM

I have no desire to change to discs for man reasons others state. If I happen to find a new, or newer bike that has them that I really like, I may just buy it. I've ridden my rim brakes in the rain over the years without issues.

Rides4Beer 04-22-19 04:33 PM

I prob will when I get a gravel/cx bike.

Not saying that I won't eventually end up with a road bike with discs, but I feel no need to rush out and buy one, since I currently have no problems stopping in the wet or dry with my rim brakes, even on carbon wheels. :eek:

BluFalconActual 04-22-19 04:58 PM

I live in SoCal and bought a nice rim brake bike last year and it works perfectly for the conditions I ride in. However, as others have said, the next time I’m in the market for a road bike it will probably be disc because that’s what the manufacturers have decided the future is.

cthenn 04-22-19 05:08 PM

Was surprised the number of pros riding discs in P-R. Suffice it to say, they are seemingly losing the battle with the manufacturers with regards to going exclusively to disc.

Seattle Forrest 04-22-19 05:29 PM

I wonder if there was as much resistance when they put seatbelts into cars?

MSchott 04-22-19 05:40 PM

Just bought a new bike at a good price with rim brakes. It’s doubtful I’ll buy another bike any time soon.

RShantz 04-22-19 05:51 PM

[QUOTE=Seattle Forrest;20896073]I wonder if there was as much resistance when they put seatbelts into cars?[/QUOTEY

You hit the nail on the head with this one. I recently bought a new bike and got discs. My logic was that I'd feel very stupid if I ever had an accident that I thought could have been avoided if I'd gotten discs. In certain situations I truly fell they are safer - at least with me. Maybe not so for a pro??? Also, I ride the mountains a good bit and I descend faster with them. Again, maybe a pro wouldn't benefit but I'm talking about me. I certainly brake deeper and harder with the discs.

colnago62 04-22-19 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 20895853)
I already did. Prefer it this way.

The type of brake that is on a bike is not a deal breaker for me. I have a bike with rim brakes that I use primarily in the summer/dry weather and a disc bike with fenders that I use in the wintertime. The summer bike didn’t come in disc at the time and the winter bike’s main attraction was the ability to attach full length fenders