Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   ICAN Carbon Wheels (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1097384)

tronzo86 02-09-17 01:20 PM

ICAN Carbon Wheels

I have been in the market for a new wheelset and have found this company ICAN cycles. I have not found a lot of information on them but one or two youtube videos of some people reviewing them. These are the wheels I am looking at: (I cannot post a URL since I have not posted 10 times yet) search ICAN 38mm Road Bike Wheelset Carbon Fiber Clincher Tubeless Ready 25mm Width Sapim CX Ray Spokes 20/24 Holes on Amazon.

They have the Rim profile, cx-sapim spokes and overall light weight for the climbing I like to do. What do you guys think? Is Ican a good company? Thanks!

stykthyn 02-09-17 01:29 PM

Here's 100 pages of Chinese carbon discussion
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/ebay-chinese-direct-carbon-wheel-thread-2-0-a-241788-109.html

69chevy 02-09-17 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by tronzo86 (Post 19367670)
I have been in the market for a new wheelset and have found this company ICAN cycles. I have not found a lot of information on them but one or two youtube videos of some people reviewing them. These are the wheels I am looking at: (I cannot post a URL since I have not posted 10 times yet) search ICAN 38mm Road Bike Wheelset Carbon Fiber Clincher Tubeless Ready 25mm Width Sapim CX Ray Spokes 20/24 Holes on Amazon.

They have the Rim profile, cx-sapim spokes and overall light weight for the climbing I like to do. What do you guys think? Is Ican a good company? Thanks!

I have one friend who rides them.

Of all of the guys I ride with he has, by far, the most wheel problems.

At least three times, he has had spokes come out and had to tape them to another spoke and open his brakes all the way just to get home.

His brakes are non-existent in the rain.

He has had so many problems with them, I sold him a beater set to use so he could still ride while his wheels were in the shop.

Dan333SP 02-09-17 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 69chevy (Post 19367904)

At least three times, he has had spokes come out and had to tape them to another spoke and open his brakes all the way just to get home.

He has had so many problems with them, I sold him a beater set to use so he could still ride while his wheels were in the shop.

ICAN? More like ICANT, amirite?

tronzo86 02-09-17 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by 69chevy (Post 19367904)

Errr, that is not good to hear. I know these wheels have a weight limit. Is he by chance approaching the weight limit? Do you know which rim profile and depth he has?

69chevy 02-09-17 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by tronzo86 (Post 19367972)
Errr, that is not good to hear. I know these wheels have a weight limit. Is he by chance approaching the weight limit? Do you know which rim profile and depth he has?

He's probably 180-190. Very fit (but like 6'4" tall).

I'm not sure but I'd guess 50mm deep. No idea on the profile.

69chevy 02-09-17 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dan333SP (Post 19367961)
ICAN? More like ICANT, amirite?

That'd be my conclusion.

Dan333SP 02-09-17 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by 69chevy (Post 19367999)

Not aggressive enough. Better description:

He's 6'4" 210lbs,solid,& Fairly Fit. He tends to outwork EVERY tool he uses in life.

enzo thecat 02-09-17 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dan333SP (Post 19368019)

He's 6'4" 210lbs,solid,& Fairly Fit. He tends to outwork EVERY tool he uses in life.

Dan33SP,
Noticed your username. I used to know a guy named Dan that owned a 333SP. What a machine. Once I was even on the track with him at the same time in my red machine.

Dan333SP 02-09-17 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by enzo thecat (Post 19368041)
Dan33SP,
Noticed your username. I used to know a guy named Dan that owned a 333SP. What a machine. Once I was even on the track with him at the same time in my red machine.

I wish I could say that was me! Saw them race in their heyday many times at Sebring, and they made a permanent impression. Got to sit in one at the Cavallino Classic one year at PBIR as well, but no driving :(

What a sound!

69chevy 02-10-17 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dan333SP (Post 19368019)

He only wishes he could fill the shoes of the legend.

99Klein 02-10-17 09:32 AM

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...608.0.0.MKHKZ4

A few of us running these around here, all weighing 200+ pounds with no problems. At this price you could buy a set every year.

tronzo86 02-13-17 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by 69chevy (Post 19367999)

I'm not sure but I'd guess 50mm deep. No idea on the profile.

Okay, huh. I will have to rethink my decision then. Was the spoke pulling through the carbon or the spoke snapping? If so do you know what kind of spoke the wheel was built with?

Thanks

tronzo86 02-13-17 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by 99Klein (Post 19369383)

A few of us running these around here, all weighing 200+ pounds with no problems. At this price you could buy a set every year.

That is good to know, I will look into these more. Which depth are you running, and width? Did you get a final weight on them?

99Klein 02-13-17 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by tronzo86 (Post 19375235)
That is good to know, I will look into these more. Which depth are you running, and width? Did you get a final weight on them?

50mm. I don't remember the actual weight, but they were quite a bit lighter than my Cosmic Elites.

cycledogg 02-13-17 12:04 PM

Are you insinuating that these wheels are "disposable" ? And that there are cheap enough that if they break and fail that you can just purchase another set?? Why would any one want to take that chance on a wheel set??? [Scenario] So, your riding along, that whole time thinking it's ok for these wheels to fail, possibly crashing and damaging my nice bike, or worse, face planting into the pavement. "I'll just get another set, no worries here". Not me, when I put on a set of wheels, I want to be confident that they will perform to my expectations and keep me safe, with no worries that at any moment they could fail and that they were so cheap, if they do fail, I'll just get another set. Maybe I just misunderstood the "At this price you could buy a set every year." remark. :(

99Klein 02-13-17 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by cycledogg (Post 19375910)
Are you insinuating that these wheels are "disposable" ? And that there are cheap enough that if they break and fail that you can just purchase another set?? Why would any one want to take that chance on a wheel set??? [Scenario] So, your riding along, that whole time thinking it's ok for these wheels to fail, possibly crashing and damaging my nice bike, or worse, face planting into the pavement. "I'll just get another set, no worries here". Not me, when I put on a set of wheels, I want to be confident that they will perform to my expectations and keep me safe, with no worries that at any moment they could fail and that they were so cheap, if they do fail, I'll just get another set. Maybe I just misunderstood the "At this price you could buy a set every year." remark. :(

Wheels are in fact a consumable. Maybe not disk brake wheels, but rim brake wheels do wear out. That is why aluminum wheels have a wear indicator in the brake track, so you know when they need replaced.

I would not ride these wheels if I thought they would fail any sooner than any other wheel. In fact, I hope they don’t fail at all, but last long enough to wear out. I've broken or cracked many aluminums rims, broken countless spokes, and worn out hubs. If you think you can purchase a wheel at ANY price, that will last you a lifetime, you are incorrect. Like ALL my wheels, after every ride, I check thoroughly for trueness, cracks, flex, play in bearings/hub…

Don’t get me wrong, I took a lot to get me to purchase a set of cheap carbons, but I have a pretty darn heavy friend (and I’m 220 in the winter) who put 3000 miles on his, on our rough roads, with zero problems. For the first 1000 miles (the millage I get out of MOST wheels before a failure of some sort) I was VERY nervous (railroad tracks at speed in particular,) but they have been rock solid.

If these last 5000+ miles before the brake track wears out, that’s a pair every year. Maybe they will last longer, I have no way of knowing yet. I do know that they go through brake pads much quicker than any aluminum wheel I’ve ever owned.

cycledogg 02-13-17 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 99Klein (Post 19375936)
Wheels are in fact a consumable. Maybe not disk brake wheels, but rim brake wheels do wear out. That is why aluminum wheels have a wear indicator in the brake track, so you know when they need replaced.

I would not ride these wheels if I thought they would fail any sooner than any other wheel. In fact, I hope they don’t fail at all, but last long enough to wear out. I've broken or cracked many aluminums rims, broken countless spokes, and worn out hubs. If you think you can purchase a wheel at ANY price, that will last you a lifetime, you are incorrect. Like ALL my wheels, after every ride, I check thoroughly for trueness, cracks, flex, play in bearings/hub…

Don’t get me wrong, I took a lot to get me to purchase a set of cheap carbons, but I have a pretty darn heavy friend (and I’m 220 in the winter) who put 3000 miles on his, on our rough roads, with zero problems. For the first 1000 miles (the millage I get out of MOST wheels before a failure of some sort) I was VERY nervous (railroad tracks at speed in particular,) but they have been rock solid.

If these last 5000+ miles before the brake track wears out, that’s a pair every year. Maybe they will last longer, I have no way of knowing yet. I do know that they go through brake pads much quicker than any aluminum wheel I’ve ever owned.

I understand that. I never said that I would expect ANY wheel to last a life time. I was under the impression that when you stated the wheels were cheap enough that you could buy a set every year, that if they did fail, it would be no real expense to just buy another set. My point is that I would invest in a wheel set that would last longer than a year, and not take the chance that one would fail within a years time, knowing that the cost would be so little I could afford to buy another within that years time. Perhaps I did misunderstand your statement.:o

99Klein 02-13-17 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by cycledogg (Post 19376007)
I understand that. I never said that I would expect ANY wheel to last a life time. I was under the impression that when you stated the wheels were cheap enough that you could buy a set every year, that if they did fail, it would be no real expense to just buy another set. My point is that I would invest in a wheel set that would last longer than a year, and not take the chance that one would fail within a years time, knowing that the cost would be so little I could afford to buy another within that years time. Perhaps I did misunderstand your statement.:o

Healthcare is WAY too expensive for that, and cycling is dangerous without taking any unnecessary risks. I am VERY hard on wheels, there is only a handful that I've gotten more than a year out. To spend $2k+ for wheels I don't expect to last any longer than top of the line aluminum wheels is insane. I have other places to put that money :)

tronzo86 02-18-17 10:43 PM

Doing more research into ICAN wheels I can only find mostly positive reviews and when built with sapim cx ray spokes they do not seem to have problems. I am going to look into this link more and see if I can find out more information on the ones from aliexpress. I like the fact that the ICAN ones are tubeless ready, as I want to go tubeless when my current set of rubber wears out. Its a tough call but I am still leaning toward the ICAN's

wcf21 03-11-17 12:54 PM

I've been riding the ICAN 50mm carbon wheels with Sapim CX Ray spokes and have been really impressed. I've put a few hundred miles on them in some really fast group rides and crits. I've smashed pot holes, gone out in the rain, and done some big descents. The wheels have handled it all so far. The breaking isn't as good as the ENVEs that I demoed but the feel and speed is surprisingly similar. For the price the ICAN wheels seem to be a great option.

I weigh 200lbs.

rpenmanparker 03-11-17 01:05 PM

I like "onlycarbonwheel" as sold on eBay. Good supplier and good products.

tronzo86 03-13-17 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by wcf21 (Post 19434285)
I've been riding the ICAN 50mm carbon wheels with Sapim CX Ray spokes and have been really impressed. I've put a few hundred miles on them in some really fast group rides and crits. I've smashed pot holes, gone out in the rain, and done some big descents. The wheels have handled it all so far. The breaking isn't as good as the ENVEs that I demoed but the feel and speed is surprisingly similar. For the price the ICAN wheels seem to be a great option.

I weigh 200lbs.

That is good to hear. I pulled the trigger on a 38mm set 24.8mm wide, U-shaped with Sapim CX Ray spokes and initial impressions are good. They were well packaged with lots of padding and came in 7 days from China. I didn't get to take them out for a longer ride but I did take them out for a quick 20 minute spin and they accelerate fast and had absolutely no wheel flex even after some 1300 watt sprints. I had the brake pads set very close to the wheel to test for this. The wider shape had a very supple feel to it. The look huge because of how wide they are but accelerate and climb fast. The claimed weight was 1360 ± 40 grams and they came in at 1406 without rim tape; close enough for me. I hope to get some hard climbing in this next weekend. I will keep this thread updated for anyone who might consider this wheel brand.

stykthyn 03-13-17 08:19 AM

Post some pics!!!

zymphad 03-13-17 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 19434312)
I like "onlycarbonwheel" as sold on eBay. Good supplier and good products.

Damn, his prices and the wheels do look nice. The 25mm wide. Also like that his wheels have been updated for the more aero profile both front and cross-wind, the rounded off, rather than pointed that I see a lot of the Chinese direct factory wheels still use.

I'll be bookmarking this for next year, when I'll make the jump to disc.