Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Weird looks (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1227592)

Melvang 04-06-21 05:34 AM

Weird looks

Anyone else get weird looks occasionally from other customers when you walk into the bike shop and the general manager and other employees address you by your first name?

Koyote 04-06-21 05:39 AM

No. And you probably don’t, either.

Melvang 04-06-21 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22002333)
No. And you probably don’t, either.

I do occasionally when I walk in still grubby as hell from work. I have long hair, long beard, and work mechanical maintenance in a foundry. So I walk out pretty dirty on occasion.

Koyote 04-06-21 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Melvang (Post 22002352)
I do occasionally when I walk in still grubby as hell from work. I have long hair, long beard, and work mechanical maintenance in a foundry. So I walk out pretty dirty on occasion.

That’s why they’re giving you “weird looks.“ Because you’re filthy. Not because anyone greets you by name.

Is there a point to this?

Melvang 04-06-21 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22002364)
That’s why they’re giving you “weird looks.“ Because you’re filthy. Not because anyone greets you by name.

Killing a little time at work while on running repair.

AdkMtnMonster 04-06-21 08:10 AM

Get your beard and hair trimmed, wash them occasionally, and carry yourself like you know more about the world than the dirt on your attire, and people will look at you differently. If it bothers you this much, perhaps a shave and a haircut (toot toot!) are finally due. Shower after. Grab a fresh shirt to throw on for those unplanned stops on the way home from work. I’ll bet you $5 the bike shop staff will truly appreciate it.

Melvang 04-06-21 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 22002494)
Get your beard and hair trimmed, wash them occasionally, and carry yourself like you know more about the world than the dirt on your attire, and people will look at you differently. If it bothers you this much, perhaps a shave and a haircut (toot toot!) are finally due. Shower after. Grab a fresh shirt to throw on for those unplanned stops on the way home from work. I’ll bet you $5 the bike shop staff will truly appreciate it.

After 15 years in the construction trades and 5 years Navy, what others think of my appearance is about last on my short list of stuff to worry about.

cxwrench 04-06-21 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Melvang (Post 22002569)
After 15 years in the construction trades and 5 years Navy, what others think of my appearance is about last on my short list of stuff to worry about.

Yet here you are.

Melvang 04-06-21 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22002584)
Yet here you are.

And not complaining, simply stating an observation.
I didn't think it was that cryptic to understand that.

Skulking 04-06-21 09:38 AM

I'm pretty sure this is some sort of weird humblebrag.

Melvang 04-06-21 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Skulking (Post 22002655)
I'm pretty sure this is some sort of weird humblebrag.

Wasn't meant to be. Just bored at work.

Melvang 04-06-21 09:47 AM

Also, I said when I get called by my name, not because I was called by my name.

billridesbikes 04-06-21 09:52 AM

Unless you’re at the LBS.

Bigbus 04-06-21 09:57 AM

I get greeted by name everytime I enter the local booze shop, does that count?

Reflector Guy 04-06-21 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbus (Post 22002700)
I get greeted by name everytime I enter the local booze shop, does that count?

Only if its one of those places "where they serve hard drinks for men who want to get drunk fast!"

Rolla 04-06-21 10:07 AM

Happens to me all the time, but my first name is Lucifer.

indyfabz 04-06-21 10:23 AM

Glad BF has an iggy list.

phughes 04-06-21 10:27 AM

Then why are you asking a bunch of total strangers for validation?

Koyote 04-06-21 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22002721)
Happens to me all the time, but my first name is Lucifer.

And when you walk in, you say "Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste."

Melvang 04-06-21 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by phughes (Post 22002770)
Then why are you asking a bunch of total strangers for validation?

Wasn't aware I was asking for validation.

Melvang 04-06-21 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 22002494)

Besides, we have laundry service at work for our uniforms. Mostly because the uniform manufacturer has very strict washing guidelines to maintain the FR rating. So, I rarely wear actual dirty work clothes home. Just when I forget to grab uniforms from the front. So, at most it an undershirt that might be dusty and stained from old silicone and/or oil. I do knock the big chunks off my face and wash my hands most days before leaving work.

skidder 04-06-21 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Melvang (Post 22002329)
Anyone else get weird looks occasionally from other customers when you walk into the bike shop and the general manager and other employees address you by your first name?

Is it a 'nickname' associated with your appearance? Maybe something like 'Pig Pen' if you're coming in dirty and grungy looking? I used to work with a fire department (admin capacity) and had to wear a uniform with a badge, so when out in public I'd regularly get called 'Chief' or 'Boss' and wasn't offended by it.

indyfabz 04-06-21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis (Post 22003052)
Well, actually yes! I have a buddy who used to race, great mechanic so I've followed him from shop to shop since 1996 till he opened up his own shop about 5 years ago. I walk in and he pretty much shouts my name, he's one of those overly excited loud guys. So customers turn to look at me and my wife when we walk in. Now the entire shop knows our names. Then I get even more looks when he tells them about rides we did together. OK, so now total strangers in the store know my name and cycling history! :D

But are they weird looks?

trailangel 04-06-21 02:50 PM

Ya, I go to my bike shop, and the owner yells out, "Brooks.. good to see you standing!....did you bring the IPAs?"