Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Losing key to security skewers (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1285514)

noglider 11-22-23 08:57 PM

Losing key to security skewers

I had been eyeing those security skewers for years but I didn't want to spend the money. Then earlier this year, someone was selling a set at a flea market for $40. I bought them!

It's nice to lock only the frame and not worry about the wheels. I had been using a cable lock to secure one of my wheels. It takes extra time to do that, and it requires my bike be snugged up to the bike rack or sign post. Now it's easy, and I leave the cable lock at home.

I keep my skewer key on my keyring even though it's heavy and bulky.

And I lost my keys! I never lose my keys!

Do these normally come with two keys? I knew I should order a spare before this happened, even though I never lose my keys.

A whole month passed, and I decided I would bring my bike to the shop to have them destroy the skewers. And on that day, my keys showed up. I had put them in the pocket of my shop apron which, of course, I don't wear every day. Problem averted. I immediately ordered a spare.

How do you deal with this possibility? I'll keep the spare at home.

ScottCommutes 11-24-23 08:40 AM

Can you hide a key somewhere on the bike such that you always have it and the thieves don't know about it?

noglider 11-24-23 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ScottCommutes (Post 23081086)
Can you hide a key somewhere on the bike such that you always have it and the thieves don't know about it?

Maybe. But it doesn't solve my problem. I think I don't mind having the key on my keyring. I'm just concerned about losing the key or my entire keyring and not being able to remove my wheels, especially when I get a flat on the road.

If carrying the key with my keys proves to be burdensome, then I'll look into hiding it on my bike. Or maybe I'll stash the key in my tool bag. I attach my tool bag to my saddle and move it from bike to bike. I normally take the bag with me when I lock it up, so that should work.

john m flores 11-27-23 03:45 PM

I've got Pinlock security skewers on the front and rear wheels of my folding bike. I never travel with the key but most of my trips with the bike are local - errands and stuff. If I ever flatted, I don't carry a patch kit and would just catch a Lyft home if it was too far to walk.

If ever I lose the key, I have the code stored in my notes and can order a new key from Pinhead.

noglider 12-09-23 03:56 PM

Canada Post just notified me that they delivered my key today (December 9). I ordered it on November 18, and it was mailed/posted on November 20. So it was with one postal system or the other for 20 days. I don't know how close to typical that is, but it seems long to me. I'm not at home today, so I trust I'll find it there when I get there.

Edmonton AB to Richmond BC to USLAXA US (haha that must mean LAX the airport) to Los Angeles CA to New York, NY.

cuevélo 12-13-23 12:54 PM

I keep a tile on my keychain. https://www.tile.com/en-us

fat biker 01-04-24 08:48 PM

Another vote for tile.

douis 02-18-24 11:19 AM

Don't most of them have a code on them you can use to order a replacement? The pitlock nuts I have for my dynamo hub were coded so I can get a backup tool to fit.

Leisesturm 02-19-24 12:08 AM

My DW has a duplicate key to every U-Lock and cable lock that I own. The chances of both of us losing our keys simultaneously are remote. I haven't lost a set of keys in 40 years. But I do occasionally misplace them and have to grab her set if there is a time crunch.

noglider 02-22-24 09:07 AM

You won't believe this. Even I don't believe it. After much searching, I found my keys. And then I lost them again. This time for good, I suspect.

The pinhead key I got from Canada is now on my replacement key ring. Now I'll order another. Ouch. I put an Apple Airtag on my new keyring. I bought a 4-pack. I'll put one in my seat-bag. I don't know what I'll do with the other two.

I have at least one spare for my U-lock, so I won't order a spare for that.

2_i 03-05-24 11:32 AM

My keyring is attached to a string, and the string is attached to the belt. In fact, all the content of my pant pockets is partitioned into pouches, and each pouch is attached the same way. There had been too many important things I had lost, including keys, and that strategy solved the problem.

79pmooney 03-05-24 12:17 PM

I have 3 Kryptonites. I keep all three keys on a Gerber multiknife, a Leatherman and a keyring. Keyring stays at home. Gerber or Learherman always are on my for rides, the Gerber in-town and Leatherman with my good bikes. I have to lose both knives and I'd still have my spares and be able to order more.

(Gerber is small, light and smooth. The Leatherman is a real tool (best pliers I have ever owned for a lot of jobs) but bigger, heavier and tends to catch jersey pocket stitching and rip them. So it lives in a leather pouch. That works super except it is slower to lock and unlock; something I don't do on long rides (no lock) but all the time in-town.

Yes, I am always riding with several keys I don't need. A lot better than getting there and realizing I have the wrong key because I decided on a different bike at the last minute. (Two of the locks live on my in-town bikes full time. Third lives on a small backpack.)

This has worked very well for this space case. I've had to order keys a couple of times but that isn't a big deal. Amazingly I have not lost that Leatherman yet. (Knock on wood.) My sis gave it to me 35 years ago. The Leatherman folk love seeing it when they support rides or I am at a trade show. Some of them have never seen one so old. It's like an old Stanley 9-1/2 block plane. Simply a really good tool.

Oh, goes in my left jersey pocket or right pants pocket. It has come out of my jersey pocket once and a car ran over the Leatherman. (Two keys bent and replaced, small rip in the pouch which got a permanent Barged leather patch. Leatherman came out completely unscathed. Once in 35 years I can live with.)

RangerTampa 03-05-24 02:10 PM

I put the spare pitlock key inside the seat post.