Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Southern California (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Ebike in San Diego (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1181008)

Nxkharra 08-13-19 08:20 AM

Ebike in San Diego

Just purchased ebike to be able to ride some of hills in SD due to knee injury.
Looking for new bike rides with ocean view.
This is my first post so please be kind.
Many recommendation?
can ride about 20-25 miles now.

CAT7RDR 08-13-19 08:31 AM

Not much in the way of hills except for the Torrey Pines grade, but when I visit SD I start in Oceanside and ride up to La Jolla then flip around for a scenic ride on PCH. Makes for a nice 50 mile ride with plenty of ocean views and side streets to get better views.

I am sure the locals can chime in with more choices for you.

Welcome aboard!

TrojanHorse 08-13-19 10:40 AM

Can't tell if you are actively seeking out hills or just able to deal with them now b/s of the e-bike?

SD is shockingly hilly. Mission bay isn't a bad place to ride (is Fiesta Island bigger than I remember it? Seems bigger)

Cabrillo point seems like it would make a nice destination from where you are, with some potential for views... Mt Soledad is also within reach, and you can return via La Jolla / PB etc.

We need Oooga Booga to chime in. :D

Gallo 08-13-19 04:34 PM

A ride to Cabrillio Monument should be good. They make you pay to go all the way in I turn around at the pay gate. Go down to the SD River bike path into OB and head south

Ride around Mission bay

with the ebike I think your can extend your ride

Balboa Park to downtown and and the harbor loop can also get you to Cabrillio

Lots of ocean lots of views to be had depending how far you want to go or where you want to start from.

tyrion 08-13-19 05:03 PM

Ride around Mission Bar is nice and easy. Find a way to get on the OB bike path (east point in Hotel Circle) and take it to the west most bridge across the river (that bridge has a completely walled off bicycle path) and you're right by Mission Bay.

You can ride around San Diego Bay and take the ferry from Coronado to the Convention Center area (maybe 30 miles) - the east side of the bay route is less-than-pleasant shipyard/industrial, but when you get to Chula Vista is it's nice.

The "boardwalk" along PB and MB is crowded and slow, but might be fun.

diphthong 08-13-19 05:37 PM

i guess it depends exactly where in san diego you live. between the ocean’s edge and the foothills (escondido, poway, lakeside, lemon grove, eastern chula vista) and south of camp pendleton to the border is a fairly consistent diet of canyon & mesa.
there is plenty of elevation to be had riding north or south along the 805 or 15 fwys. for consistent coastal views in the county, you can head from border field state park tucked into the sw corner of the nation in san ysidro up to point loma, then north to oceanside. la jolla and point loma have the only serious hills along with coastal views. when it gets san diego humidity ugly, the 3 mile stretch along the top/southern end of point loma is the best cool relief in the county. it’s currently $6 a visit for
bikes (good for 7 days). i usually buy the $80 national parks pass because i hit a few np’s a year along with 10-12 visits to cabrillo national monument. the little climb up to the light house is exhilarating as is the quick descent/ascent along the se dead end road and the .7 mile descent/ascent to/from the tide pools.

sd county doesn’t have much in terms of flats. it’s either on the western or eastern edges. a vast majority of the county is hilly. once you get past the obvious coastal point loma to oceanside route (which is a quintessential ride), the julian corridor of the laguna triangle, mesa grande and palomar mtn beckon.

i’ve only seen e-bikes coastally (word?).

tyrion 08-13-19 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by tyrion (Post 21074130)
Ride around Mission Bar is nice and easy. Find a way to get on the OB bike path (east point in Hotel Circle) and take it to the west most bridge across the river (that bridge has a completely walled off bicycle path) and you're right by Mission Bay.

And, for what it's worth, once you get to the south side Mission Bay you can ride around to the north side of Mission Bay and get on the Rose Creek/Rose Canyon Bike path which takes you to La Jolla (this is one way to get to UCSD/Torrey Pines -> Del Mar -> Solana Beach etc. coming from the south).

So you can go from Hotel Circle to La Jolla on bike path with only a few short stretches shared with cars.