Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Early John Tesh tour coverage (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=500522)

Gavush 01-08-09 06:26 PM

Early John Tesh tour coverage

anyone know where I can locate video clips which were the original use of the audio tracks from the Tour de France CD he released? My dad had it when growing up and I seem to recall watching taped coverage of the tours... (I was born in '81...)

(edit) I did find this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e29d4uxQ0g8

embankmentlb 01-10-09 08:25 AM

Oh, That was my favorite era in cycling. "The english invasion" John Tesh's coverage of The Tour & Paris Rubix was very dramatic but good. I remember mail ordering a cassette tape of the first music out of the back of a Winning magazine. I have tried to find that album sense but have been unsuccessful. His Sports CD has parts of the Tour-Rubix music but it is not the same. I imagine that legally it is tied to the TV network & that is why it is not available.

Gavush 01-10-09 01:48 PM

we had both of these:

Tour de France - the early years

Tour de France

they're dirt cheap used, you should pick them up... (as should I)

embankmentlb 01-10-09 02:48 PM

In honor of this tread i watched the 85 & 86 Paris-Roubaix this morning! Another cool thing about that era is that without helmets & shades the riders were recognizable. Aging stars like Moser were battling the younger guys like Lemond & Bower. Even Chris Carmichael was there before his dealing days.

Baby Puke 01-21-09 08:30 PM

Whoa, you guys LIKE the John Tesch music and commentary?? To each his own, but I can't watch that stuff without wincing constantly, then finally turning the sound off. The 80's-style over-produced synth music is awful to my ears, and WAY too loud in the mix. You can barely hear the commentary! Which may be mixed blessing: Thank god for Phil Liggett, his presence saves it from appearing completely silly. But then I feel bad for the Jr. High-level poetry he's forced to read. It's embarrassing that all this was deemed necessary for Americans to understand and appreciate the Tour. SO much fluff!

Credit where credit is due, Tesch helped bring cycling to the American audience, but looking back it hasn't aged well, and I often wonder if it mightn't have caught on stronger with a more serious treatment.

Gavush 01-22-09 10:33 AM

yeah... well, I also like polka, celtic, techno, punk, metal, world, rock, bluegrass, alternative and a host of other things, so you can imagine the tesh stuff isn't anywhere near the limits of my listening pleasure. That's just how I roll.

Engyo 01-22-09 10:40 AM

Got both CD's here on my desk (note that they are not in the truck).

embankmentlb 01-22-09 12:33 PM

I have to agree those early broadcasts were a bit corn-ball with all the drama. With that being said, even today, Liggett tries to invent drama were it does not exist. In the old days it was just set to music.

socalrider 01-25-09 03:47 AM

I have all the original cbs and abc broadcasts, I have since converted them to dvd.. The TDF coverage I have is 1985-1991.. PM me for more info..

Suzie Green 02-10-09 11:31 AM

I will admit to some "semi-guilt" and say that I do have all of the John Tesh TdF music on my mp3 list. :o

Dubbayoo 03-18-09 12:07 PM

I had that John Tesh tape too. I only liked one tune.

2wheeled 03-18-09 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo (Post 8552696)
I had that John Tesh tape too. I only liked one tune.

I thought he only played one tune;)

horsepowered 04-04-09 09:27 PM

"...just last month they were a group of kids in Boulder colorado...now they are in the biggest race of their lives..." DA DA DA DA... they are in super bowl and world series...DA DA DA

I like the John tesh stuff. Good for trainer rides.

John Wilke 04-14-09 08:02 AM

I think I recall watching the Tour on NBC in 1981. There was a major league baseball strike and they filled air time with the Tour. Featured riders were Hinault, Lucien van Impe, and Jacques Boyer. This was years before the 7-11 team! The NBC host was Bruce Jenner, but Phil Liggett did the play by play. That was in the early VHS recorder days and I've still got some tapes somewhere. Did they ever show the Tour before '81? I started racing in '79 but don't recall how I got introduced to the sport (over bars once too many times I suppose :lol: ).

I'll have to dig out those tapes and put parts on YouTube! (until they get banned).

DiabloScott 04-15-09 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by John Wilke (Post 8727327)

I'll have to dig out those tapes and put parts on YouTube! (until they get banned).

I have some of those tapes too. I copied them from VHS to DVD recently using my dual player but the file is now *.avs and my windows movie maker won't import them (they play fine on any DVD player including the computer's).

Somebody tell me what I need to buy or download to make these editable and Youtube-friendly.

chickasmith 05-03-09 04:56 AM

Wow - coverage from the 1981 Tour? I would love to see that.

For anyone interested, I bought a cassette from ebay years ago called "music from the tour de france" which is different to the mass produced ones. This was mainly from Tour 1987 with songs:

Action Adventure Series
Bastille Day in Pau
Brain Dead Weasel
Head Clobbers
Historique
In the Hunt
Paris Roubaix
Road Made for Animals
Seven Eleven 87
The Berlin Wall
The Descent
The Start House
The Stutter
The Yellow Jersey
Tour Theme

Not really up to beat with uploading these online, so if someone could PM me, I'd be happy to send them these files so they could upload them.

bik3r 10-15-09 03:35 AM

can some1 upload them plz cant find them

Gr8Scott 10-15-09 07:04 AM

sorry guys, i'm with baby puke on this one...

bbattle 10-16-09 10:44 AM

The CBS coverage of races in the 80's is way short on actual racing. More time spent on the "drama" of the race.

Laggard 10-16-09 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by bik3r (Post 9861257)
can some1 upload them plz cant find them

I have thm but cant upld thm. :rolleyes:

bik3r 10-19-09 05:06 AM

I found it already anyways

http://rapidshare.com/files/295004627/john_tesh.rar

luevelvet 11-09-18 12:16 PM

Hey everyone, I know this is a super old thread but having just become obsessed with cycling I figure I would inquire if anyone still has digital copies of these early CBS shows? I came across one on YT (1986) and while it was extremely novel and entertaining the sound was a bit awful and hard to get through. So I figured I would bump a this thread to see what was out there! :)

DiabloScott 12-02-18 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by luevelvet (Post 20655671)
Hey everyone, I know this is a super old thread but having just become obsessed with cycling I figure I would inquire if anyone still has digital copies of these early CBS shows? I came across one on YT (1986) and while it was extremely novel and entertaining the sound was a bit awful and hard to get through. So I figured I would bump a this thread to see what was out there! :)

I've got some transfers from VHS. Not CBS, but ABC, NBC, and ESPN
I think this link should work for you.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...22FD824FBF109A

Not sure if this will embed:

Malibu Stacy 11-14-19 03:38 PM

I had the same cassette tape, I got it as a gift from Chris Chandler who was the recording engineer that worked in John Tesh's studio, I haven't heard it in years though, my copy self destructed so I'd be interested in hearing it again....and it IS the actual underscore used during CBS TV broadcasts, I also have the music used in the ABC Sports coverage (1989-1991) I downloaded it onto pCloud Drive, not sure how I'd give someone else access to that.

HotBlack 11-19-19 08:45 AM

I had that tape as well. I’d sure love to have 2-3 of those songs. 7-11-87 and Paris Robaix in particular.