Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   To All the Cycling Slobs... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1201040)

Cyclist30923 05-11-20 11:39 AM

To All the Cycling Slobs...

If you are unlucky enough to get a flat, stop dumping your empty air cartridges in our bike lanes!!!! I have been seeing quite a bit of this lately in Humboldt. Not only is it littering, but a real safety hazzard for the responsible cyclists. My wife struck one several years ago, and subsequently flew over the handlebars. She has not gotten on a bike since. If you cannot be a responsible cyclist, then stay out of our County.

hillyman 05-11-20 11:43 AM

Somehow the peace sign seems out of place.
And sorry every bike rider in the US doesn't read BF. We here at BF are the best of the best

Ghazmh 05-11-20 11:59 AM

Did those same riders stop leaving empty Gu packets along the roadside yet?

shelbyfv 05-11-20 12:02 PM

Anyone who rides in Humboldt, raise your hand!

CAT7RDR 05-11-20 12:11 PM

Have to agree with the OP. I see a lot of roadie generated trash along popular ride areas. Gives us all a bad look IMHO.

Ogsarg 05-11-20 12:37 PM

I also have seen a lot of empty CO2 cartridges. Quite disappointing that people can't manage to pick up their crap.

bobwysiwyg 05-11-20 12:56 PM

I've lost track as to whether they are the x, y, or a generation, but clearly the "me generation." Self-centered as all get out and probably never involved in scouting.

Ross520 05-11-20 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kratebiker (Post 21468559)
If you are unlucky enough to get a flat, stop dumping your empty air cartridges in our bike lanes!!!! I have been seeing quite a bit of this lately in Humboldt. Not only is it littering, but a real safety hazzard for the responsible cyclists. My wife struck one several years ago, and subsequently flew over the handlebars. She has not gotten on a bike since. If you cannot be a responsible cyclist, then stay out of our County.

First off, it's an forum, dude, not your town's city hall. There's a good chance that not ONE person who actually tossed their carts will ever read this. So what's the point? To stir stuff up? Mission accomplished.

And I'll tell ya something, I ride a route popular with national and international pros, and many serious amateur "snobs" and rarely see trash of ANY kind. We pick up after ourselves. Maybe your county just doesn't have very high standards? I'm sure C02 cartridges agent the only things littering the roads there.
​​​​​

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg (Post 21468744)
I've lost track as to whether they are the x, y, or a generation, but clearly the "me generation." Self-centered as all get out and probably never involved in scouting.

Oh please, people have been littering for decades. Let's not pretend like it's something new.

Leinster 05-11-20 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ross520 (Post 21468775)
Oh please, people have been littering for decades. Let's not pretend like it's something new.

In fairness, CO2 cartridges and gel wrappers are new. When I were a lad, it were all Mars bar wrappers and spent D batteries from your Ever Ready bike lamps. The thing with those was you couldn't uniquely identify them as being from cyclists.

shelbyfv 05-11-20 01:54 PM

The only trash I see that can be identified as dropped by cyclists is banana peels. Who else is going to drop a banana peel in the middle of the road? I don't have to ride MUPs, maybe it's more common where you have a bunch of inexperienced folks riding bikes.:foo:

Oneder 05-11-20 02:01 PM

I had a half empty bottle of water in my holder last week because my normal bottle was in the dishwasher and got home and it had disappeared. Whoops! Sorry.... Hopefully no one died.

mstateglfr 05-11-20 02:15 PM

The skies, waters, and land were pristine back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s before these alphabet generations took over!***

*** = sarcasterisks

woodcraft 05-11-20 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 21468619)
Anyone who rides in Humboldt, raise your hand!

I used to, but that was before CO2 was a thing.

Most of the cartridges that I see roadside are from air guns or from NO huffing.

indyfabz 05-11-20 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 21469020)

Most of the cartridges that I see roadside are from air guns or from NO huffing.

Yep. There was a thread about this a while back. Clearly appeared to be nitrous oxide cartridges. We used to call them whippets. BTW...Nitrous oxide is N2O. Huffing NO would not be pleasant. :D

bobwysiwyg 05-11-20 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ross520 (Post 21468775)
First off, it's an forum, dude, not your town's city hall. There's a good chance that not ONE person who actually tossed their carts will ever read this. So what's the point? To stir stuff up? Mission accomplished.

And I'll tell ya something, I ride a route popular with national and international pros, and many serious amateur "snobs" and rarely see trash of ANY kind. We pick up after ourselves. Maybe your county just doesn't have very high standards? I'm sure C02 cartridges agent the only things littering the roads there.
​​​​​

Where did I suggest the me generation was a recent development? You seem to be quite upset?

​​

Bah Humbug 05-11-20 04:45 PM

That term was coined for the Boomers. Checks out.

nomadmax 05-11-20 05:25 PM

Where's the indian with a tear in his eye from the 1970s commercial when you REALLY need him?

Ghazmh 05-11-20 05:33 PM

Has anyone else noticed the 1,000 to 1 ratio of beer cans to CO2 canisters (or empty Gu packets I mentioned earlier) on the side of roads?

delbiker1 05-11-20 05:54 PM

I can honestly say I have never seen a used, or unused, CO2 cartridge tossed/left on the side of, or on, a road. I have seen a whole lot of beer cans, broken glass, nails/screws, fast food wrappers, blown out auto tires, pieces of vehicles and a lot of other hazardous/non-hazardous objects. Most of it, I believe, was not left by bicyclists. Also, more than a couple of wrecked bicycles. Once a pouch with a bag of weed, and once $73 dollars in a wad. Notice, those 2 items were only once. The rest of It, it is never going to end.

bobwysiwyg 05-11-20 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21469259)
That term was coined for the Boomers. Checks out.

Interesting, was not aware. It does reinforce one of my peeves that the media insists on labeling, and tightly I might add, specific time periods. Gives them something to talk about. I meant self-centered individuals in general who've probably been around since day one.

GlennR 05-11-20 06:19 PM

As stated, never seen discarded CO2 or tubes. But I have seen plenty of wrappers.

Cyclist0108 05-11-20 06:28 PM

I thought this was going to be about not shaving regularly during shelter-at-home.

jon c. 05-11-20 06:42 PM

I was figuring socks that clash with the kit.

Cyclist0108 05-11-20 06:56 PM

The delivery isn't polished, the audience probably isn't the right one, but the problem is real enough.

The OP's wife hit a CO[sub]2[/sub] cylinder and got injured and quit biking as a consequence. I would be rather pissed off too.

Do we really need these things?

https://www.roadbikereview.com/revie...-say-no-to-co2

GamblerGORD53 05-11-20 06:56 PM

Well I certainly see CO2 containers on most rides over 40 miles. And I agree they are slobs.
The beer can tossing thing started with the open container in car law. And they were in the ditch every 60 feet along the highways in NV 20/ 30 years ago.
In 2003 I was riding around Dallas in the dark. Went over a bridge sidewalk that had broken glass the whole way, crunch crunch. Next morning my tire was flat.
Last year I drove thru 8 provinces and 20 states. VERY VERY seldom saw any trash.
Broken glass is very rare anywhere in Canada. My tires used to have little tread cuts the whole way around. Not the last few years.Thanks to the switch to plastic.
My mayor has had anti- littering campaigns for over 12 years. Been successful IMO. There are many poor people living off can deposits.
=== Actually some road scrap metal is now my bike part. LOL