Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Hope RS4 vs Pro 4 wheelset (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1178278)

BluFalconActual 07-14-19 11:40 AM

Hope RS4 vs Pro 4 wheelset

I’m about to replace the stock wheelset on my Revolt and and am looking into experience or opinions on 2 wheelsets.
Merlin has the Hope 20Five wheelsets for incredibly good prices but have a Pro 4 and a RS4 version available. Both are the same price. The difference (besides the hubs) is the Pro 4 has 32 spokes and the RS4 has 24. The Pro 4 also is 6 bolt whereas the RS4 is centerlock.
I am also looking at the Hunt X Wide Gravel since they are around the same price point. Thoughts?

gus6464 07-14-19 11:55 AM

Hunt is a generic Chinese hub so it's not comparable to the Hope in the slightest. For a gravel wheelset go for the Pro4 vs RS4.

Marcus_Ti 07-14-19 11:57 AM

Both the Pro4 and the RS4 are available in 32h. It is just Merlin chooses to only stock the 24h.

How much do you weigh?

BluFalconActual 07-14-19 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 21026316)
Both the Pro4 and the RS4 are available in 32h. It is just Merlin chooses to only stock the 24h.

How much do you weigh?

I’m 185.

BluFalconActual 07-30-19 08:40 PM

Ended up getting the Hope 20five Pro 4 with 32 spokes. Got the stock Giant tires set up tubeless without any fuss. People complain about how noisy the freehub is but I really don’t think it’s that loud. My Vision Metrons are about the same volume wise.
Looking forward to taking them out for a spin tomorrow.

gus6464 07-30-19 11:17 PM

Nice how much did they end up costing?

BluFalconActual 07-31-19 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by gus6464 (Post 21052856)
Nice how much did they end up costing?

It was 437 total. Even though Merlin says in the item description that 12mm axle adapters are sold separate (they come with QR caps installed), the box had a set of 12mm thru axle adapters, extra spokes and nipples that came with it. So subtract 20 bucks for redundant axle caps.

Metaluna 08-01-19 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by BluFalconActual (Post 21052710)
Ended up getting the Hope 20five Pro 4 with 32 spokes. Got the stock Giant tires set up tubeless without any fuss. People complain about how noisy the freehub is but I really don’t think it’s that loud. My Vision Metrons are about the same volume wise.
Looking forward to taking them out for a spin tomorrow.

I do think Pro4's are noisy but I just take it as a reminder that I'm not pedaling enough :)

gus6464 08-01-19 02:11 PM

Hope is taking their sweet time releasing the new Fortus wheels. They've been coming soon for months now. Been waiting forever to order a 30mm wide set for my XC bike.

I also don't know how they sell their wheels so cheap when pretty much everything is made in-house.

BluFalconActual 08-01-19 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by gus6464 (Post 21055369)
Hope is taking their sweet time releasing the new Fortus wheels. They've been coming soon for months now. Been waiting forever to order a 30mm wide set for my XC bike.

I also don't know how they sell their wheels so cheap when pretty much everything is made in-house.

Yeah I don’t know either. They even come laced with Sapim spokes. I don’t know if the Pound taking a dive has anything to do with it but either way I’m thrilled how good they are especially at that price.

katsup 09-13-19 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by BluFalconActual (Post 21055411)
Yeah I don’t know either. They even come laced with Sapim spokes. I don’t know if the Pound taking a dive has anything to do with it but either way I’m thrilled how good they are especially at that price.

It has been a few months, are you still happy with the wheels? I am very close to ordering a RS4 set.

BluFalconActual 09-13-19 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by katsup (Post 21121152)
It has been a few months, are you still happy with the wheels? I am very close to ordering a RS4 set.

They’ve been flawless. I ride them pretty much everywhere and have about a 1000 miles on them. If you order them from Merlin, they don’t come with tubeless valves or tape but do come with normal rim tape. They also come set up for QR’s but also have 12mm adapters packaged. Don’t make my mistake by ordering adapters separate if you need them.

katsup 09-13-19 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by BluFalconActual (Post 21121164)
They’ve been flawless. I ride them pretty much everywhere and have about a 1000 miles on them. If you order them from Merlin, they don’t come with tubeless valves or tape but do come with normal rim tape. They also come set up for QR’s but also have 12mm adapters packaged. Don’t make my mistake by ordering adapters separate if you need them.

Not ordering from Merlin as I want RS4 with 32 spokes. Thanks for the response.