Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Flat bar tourer , Cinelli Hobootleg Interrail? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175085)

pakeboi 06-07-19 08:56 PM

Flat bar tourer , Cinelli Hobootleg Interrail?

https://www.cinelli-usa.com/hobootle...e-agen-orange/
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4fae846494.jpg

djb 06-08-19 08:00 AM

yes, that is a bike named after a horrible chemical weapon used to deforest the routes used by the VC and caused untold birth defects amongst Vietnamese folks.

Classy name eh?
May start a trend, next the Spesh Napalm mtb (burn those trails to a horrible agonizing death) and the Giant Bomblet (ride it with your friends to the skatepark with the other kids who will admire it and want to touch it!)

name thing aside, what did you want to know?

fietsbob 06-08-19 09:37 AM

It's another brand of bike..

Doubt a single piece is Italian, just the name on the paint...

find a dealer test ride it and form your own opinion ..

once you buy it, change components, to suit your specific needs..

your local bike shop can change things for you at Point of Sale.

looks like they are marketing a 'gravel grinder' special , for kids not even born, yet in the 70's..

pakeboi 06-08-19 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20968657)
Doubt a single piece is Italian, just the name on the paint...

find a dealer test tide it and form your own opinion ..

once you buy it, change components, to suit your specific needs..

your local bike shop can change things for you at Point of Sale.

Yes , it's a horrible name .

djb 06-08-19 03:30 PM

pake, have you ridden on these types of bars ever?
I have only ridden a small amount, would like to set up a bike with them at one point, but there are still a bit of an unknown.

the steering tube is rather short isn't it?

and did you have a specific question about the bike?
How do you feel about the gearing, the bars?
come on, dont be shy

pakeboi 06-08-19 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by djb (Post 20969094)
pake, have you ridden on these types of bars ever?
I have only ridden a small amount, would like to set up a bike with them at one point, but there are still a bit of an unknown.

the steering tube is rather short isn't it?

and did you have a specific question about the bike?
How do you feel about the gearing, the bars?
come on, dont be shy

These are a copy of Jones H-Bars ; I've ridden a variant with 2.5 inch rise on a hybrid and found them very comfortable . (660mm)
https://www.jonesbikes.com/jones-sg-...um-loop-h-bar/

I was just curious to hear feedback on this bike .
Seems to be an all around great all-rounder .
Except for that horrible name , shame on them .
Maybe I'll wait for next years colorway , Mustard Gas Yellow .

djb 06-08-19 05:44 PM

on the site I cant seem to find any of the specs, no specifics of rd, cassette etc.

off the cuff, you've got the limitations of a one-by, which I guess for most riding is fine, but those low spoke count wheels could be an issue thats for sure.
Im sure its reasonably light, but at that price, I'll take a whole slew of other bikes.

mustard gas yellow, my grandad would have liked that one, he breathed some in while on a sejour in France and Belgium in 1917 and so always had a tendancy to get bronchitis and whatnot all the rest of his life.

fietsbob 06-09-19 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by pakeboi (Post 20968984)
Yes , it's a horrible name .

As a veteran of that war era , 66~69, my US Navy years , I must agree .. Another criminal War

https://www.veteransforpeace.org/

veganbikes 06-09-19 01:28 PM

Those bars are all the rage but unfortunately the sweep back is just so terrible. I am excited to try the Koga Denham bars on an upcoming build because those look like someone actually designed them for comfort and has ridden other similar bars which is actually the case.

Also low spoke wheels and a 1x for touring isn't my jam. Everyone has already ripped apart the horrible name so I won't get into how bad that name is and how much of an idiot that marketing moron at Cinelli was for using that name.

The idea of a non-drop bar tourer is appealing to me though. My next touring/gravelly build is going to be more sensible with a 2x11 46-30 chainrings and 11-42 cassette with 32h wheels. After riding a flat bar 1x9 hybrid I found I really kinda liked it and then trying Moloko and VO Crazy bars said I really like that but the sweep is a bit more than I want. Then I saw the Koga Denham bars and said well damn those are goldilocks right there "just right". The only issue is they aren't available in the U.S. and they aren't 31.8 but I can deal with that.

djb 06-09-19 02:48 PM

vegan, those denham look interesting.
thanks for the reference to them
I will keep those in mind, after hopefully one day using the jones bars that I have but unmounted.

veganbikes 06-09-19 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by djb (Post 20970340)
vegan, those denham look interesting.
thanks for the reference to them
I will keep those in mind, after hopefully one day using the jones bars that I have but unmounted.

No worries, I saw them and got excited as well.

djb 06-09-19 09:24 PM

What is interesting is the reduced angle compared to Jones, 34 vs 45 or whatever it is, and especially the slight angle of the "tops", and also that slight inward angle of the forward facing pieces.

Always easy to think something is better when a new thing appears, but from my experience with different bars, this one could be interesting.

fietsbob 06-09-19 10:47 PM

Taiwan Manufacturing is hard to better , for quality and price, so they execute many brands for many customers ..

you need some kind of bike for bike touring,

So pick one and go somewhere ..

Trevtassie 06-10-19 07:02 AM

1 x Nope
24 spokes Nope
Jones style Bars Yep, with some Ergon GC3 grips.
Stem that is about 60mm too long for the Jones bars, Nope.

Happy Feet 06-10-19 08:45 AM

I would also agree the 1x with that gearing is not optimal for touring. From the pics it looks around 11/36 with a 32 or 36 chainring (aprox).

I ride a 1x with similar gearing as a commuter / gravel dike bike and love it but but not with a load going up sustained hills.

djb 06-10-19 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Feet (Post 20971272)
I would also agree the 1x with that gearing is not optimal for touring. From the pics it looks around 11/36 with a 32 or 36 chainring (aprox).

I ride a 1x with similar gearing as a commuter / gravel dike bike and love it but but not with a load going up sustained hills.

you could be right on the 11-36, its hard to tell eyeballing it.

but a quick count of teeth of the exposed half shows the chainring is either a 42 or 44, so fine for unloaded riding, but pretty tall for any riding with gear as you mentioned.

edit--yup, 11-36 and 42t chainring, so 32 gear inch low with 35mm tires, a bit higher with 40s
and in photo, 24 spoke wheels.
so it is what it is.

Happy Feet 06-10-19 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by djb (Post 20971317)
you could be right on the 11-36, its hard to tell eyeballing it.

but a quick count of teeth of the exposed half shows the chainring is either a 42 or 44, so fine for unloaded riding, but pretty tall for any riding with gear as you mentioned.

edit--yup, 11-36 and 42t chainring, so 32 gear inch low with 35mm tires, a bit higher with 40s
and in photo, 24 spoke wheels.
so it is what it is.

Eek, even worse if so.

I'm not sure as I don't cyclocross but it seems there was a similar thread in the gravel section about this mid range 1x gearing. https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...e-mistake.html Seems maybe cyclocross they want a closely stepped cassette for fast bursts of maximum effort but also run bikes up steeper hills. The poster bought such a bike and was complaining that it lacked top and low end gearing for gravel use. That about sums one of my gravel bikes up just before I put an 11/40 cassette on it. Then the range was good for most roads. Plus I have a granny ring I can manually put the chain on that gives stupid low gearing for steep hills.

Good news for the OP is that a Sunrace wide range cassette like an 8 speed 11/40 is only about $60 (10 speed a little more) and should fit the long cage derailer on that bike. If I had it that's what I would do right off the hop.

djb 06-10-19 09:57 AM

the ten speed 11-36 is actually a pretty nice cassette in terms of jumps. my wifes bike has it and compared to my 9 speed 11-34, the jumps are just a bit closer in places, and you still have 36 over a 34. A great touring setup, and then of course, as you say, you have the 40, 42 and larger cassettes , especially with 11 speed, that still will, Im sure, have reasonable jumps between shifts.
10 spd is the new 9 spd in terms of price/performance , and I presume, longevity,