Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Living Car Free (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   The "I sold my car" thread! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=164301)

Mtn Mike 01-05-06 12:04 AM

The "I sold my car" thread!

After many years of being car dependent, I’ve come to a point in my life where I can survive without owning my own car. This has taken some conscious thought, and over the last 3-5 years, I've managed to "phase out" the car from my life. Today I sold my car. My reasons for going car free are similar to others that have posted here: the urge to simplify, both financially and materially, the challenge that being car free will present, and a healthier lifestyle (the lifestyle part really wont change because I wasn't driving it anyway). I''ll of course be able to borrow or rent cars pretty easily when I need to. Anyway, just thought I’d report the good news to you all. Cheers!

iBarna 01-05-06 12:10 AM

Congrats! You won't miss it. :)

Platy 01-05-06 12:29 AM

Yay Mtn Mike!

mrkott3r 01-05-06 12:51 AM

I've never owned a car. Admittedly I'm only 18 but I can't see myself buying a car for the next 3-5years. I'll get my license in the next year or so though

K6-III 01-05-06 01:14 AM

Congratulations!

spambait11 01-05-06 02:48 AM

Any advice on how you go about selling a car? Do you craigslist it? Go to a dealer? Use a reputable online site?

I'd like to sell both of our cars but don't really know the protocol or process - i.e. what kinds of payment to accept, allowing others to test drive, etc. I know my ignorance is blinding to some, having grown up in this culture, but I've always liked bikes more than cars anyway.

gwd 01-05-06 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by spambait11
Any advice on how you go about selling a car? Do you craigslist it? Go to a dealer? Use a reputable online site?

I'd like to sell both of our cars but don't really know the protocol or process - i.e. what kinds of payment to accept, allowing others to test drive, etc. I know my ignorance is blinding to some, having grown up in this culture, but I've always liked bikes more than cars anyway.

Every time I've sold cars I just ask around the neighborhood and someone pops up. Make sure the state paperwork is filled out proprerly and thats it. As I recall I took cash but if it is someone you know you know if their check is good. Perhaps I didn't get as good a price as I could have but I was always dumping them for a reason. I gave a motorcycle away to someone who appreciated it and traded a van for other considerations. Nowadays I see advertisements from charities that will haul the thing away for a tax deduction. You might be able to get some money from a scrap metal dealer too. Its pretty much like getting rid of an old bike your options depend on the condition and who you know except there is more paperwork with the title transfer.

natelutkjohn 01-05-06 07:09 AM

Awesome! You will never regret it! Selling my car over 1/2 a year ago was one of the best things I've ever done.

I also agree with gwd, the last two cars I have sold were both to neighbors (actualy the nextdoor neighbors in my duplex) so I still see "my cars" everyday, although one has a bum transmission now and the other is just sitting, not even licensed. Makes me glad not to have to worry about those things anymore.

Mtn Mike 01-05-06 10:15 AM

Yeah I agree with the above posters. I advertised my truck
here on autotrader.com, BUT, most of the calls I got were from people that weren't serious. I ended up selling it to a guy at work. As for payment, I would only take a cashiers or bank check, OR electronic funds transfer and confirm it's been done...peace.

Mtn Mike 01-05-06 10:15 AM

Thanks for all responses.

jamesdenver 01-05-06 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by natelutkjohn
Awesome! You will never regret it! Selling my car over 1/2 a year ago was one of the best things I've ever done.

I also agree with gwd, the last two cars I have sold were both to neighbors (actualy the nextdoor neighbors in my duplex) so I still see "my cars" everyday, although one has a bum transmission now and the other is just sitting, not even licensed. Makes me glad not to have to worry about those things anymore.

me too... i sold mine to a guy at work who was going to give it to one of his kids, but ended up using it himself. i see it every day, and sometimes see each other at lights.

he's good with mechanical stuff, so never was ok with the few minor things wrong with it.

ViciousCycle 01-07-06 10:48 AM

Look up the blue book value online. If the cars aren't worth very much, then you might want to sell them privately. However, if you're selling them for a price large enough that a person would want to take out a car loan, then selling it privately has its complications. i.e. It's easier for a buyer to get a substantial car loan when they're buying through a dealer.

mrkott3r 01-07-06 08:49 PM

*****box = advertise it in paper
decent = sell to a car dealer

af895 01-07-06 09:33 PM

Way to go Mtn Mike! I'm still selling my car and, like you, I advertised in Auto Trader but responses were luke-warm at best. I've been slowly lowering my bottom-line price and looking forward to buying a few bike upgrades once it does sell.

Slow Train 01-09-06 08:33 PM

Living in the city the prospecct of entertaining every Tom, Dick, & Harry that wanted to take my car for a test ride wasn't very appealing (nor safe). So I took my car into CarMax. Got a really good price and it was a no-hassle transaction.

rhputt 01-10-06 09:26 AM

I'm in the process of selling mine as well! I can't wait. I have the civic hybrid and I just want to get rid of the payments and monetary obliagtions. From my understanding Hybrids are in somewhat in demand do to the gas prices. So I'm considering trying Carmax or cars.com? Any input on these sites? Or maybe just the newspaper?

What a relief when its gone!

smithers 01-12-06 05:05 PM

we recently sold a car by just sticking it out front with a for sale sign; a guy who lives behind us came over with cash. cash works.