Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Cygolite mount VS Cycle Torch Shark style mount... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1148446)

polymorphself 07-01-18 06:16 PM

Cygolite mount VS Cycle Torch Shark style mount...

In the market for a light but I ride at night rarely. Haven't used one but the Cygolite mount looks like a little cumbersome compared to a mount like the rubber strap on a Cycle Torch Shark. The Cygolite Dart has a similar mount to the Shark, but doesn't appear bright enough.

Thoughts?

DrIsotope 07-01-18 07:27 PM

I really like the Cygolite mount-- it allows L/R adjustment as well as up down, and you can get accessory mounts to hook a Cygolite to... most anything. The GoPro-style mount adapter is particularly useful.

polymorphself 07-01-18 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 20423414)
I really like the Cygolite mount-- it allows L/R adjustment as well as up down, and you can get accessory mounts to hook a Cygolite to... most anything. The GoPro-style mount adapter is particularly useful.

Is it quick to take on and off? I don't see myself needing the L/R adjustment or accessories given my needs and use. Looking for something very bright, that can be taken off and on in a skip, doesn't move around while riding, and can fit in a mini saddle bag when not in use.

noglider 07-01-18 08:59 PM

It's very quick. You don't have to unscrew it. You can take the light and leave the mount. And even unscrewing the mount is pretty quick. I much prefer it to rubber band mounts.

KraneXL 07-01-18 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by polymorphself (Post 20423285)
In the market for a light but I ride at night rarely. Haven't used one but the Cygolite mount looks like a little cumbersome compared to a mount like the rubber strap on a Cycle Torch Shark. The Cygolite Dart has a similar mount to the Shark, but doesn't appear bright enough.

Thoughts?

You neglected to include budget, as the selection to choose from is huge. Lights can cost as little as $25, or as much as $500!

a1penguin 07-01-18 09:46 PM

The cygolite mounting system is solid. The mount stays attached to the bike and the light detaches. It really stands up to frequent mounting and unmounting. I've read that the stretchy bands sometimes have issues. If you have a bar that is unusually large or is an weird cross section, a light with the stretchy band might be better. The problem is that if the band breaks or tears, you will have to MacGyver a mounting solution.

polymorphself 07-01-18 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by KraneXL (Post 20423603)
You neglected to include budget, as the selection to choose from is huge. Lights can cost as little as $25, or as much as $500!

$50 or less.

Originally Posted by a1penguin (Post 20423606)
The cygolite mounting system is solid. The mount stays attached to the bike and the light detaches. It really stands up to frequent mounting and unmounting. I've read that the stretchy bands sometimes have issues. If you have a bar that is unusually large or is an weird cross section, a light with the stretchy band might be better. The problem is that if the band breaks or tears, you will have to MacGyver a mounting solution.

Both of my bikes are vintage road bikes with drop bars. I was wondering about the stretchy bands have problems over time. Good point about it breaking making the light almost useless without a DIY solution.

polymorphself 07-01-18 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 20423562)
It's very quick. You don't have to unscrew it. You can take the light and leave the mount. And even unscrewing the mount is pretty quick. I much prefer it to rubber band mounts.

What issues did you have with the rubber band mounts?

noglider 07-02-18 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by polymorphself (Post 20423651)
What issues did you have with the rubber band mounts?

I just don't like them. I don't trust them to last. For them to work well, they have to be tight, which means I have to pull them very hard. My hands are good at screwing things tight, but I find pulling rubber bands tight to be unpleasant and imprecise. I sometimes I have to try and retry.