Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic and Vintage Sales (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=274)
-   -   Conti GP5000 TL (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1196007)

RobbieTunes 03-18-20 04:21 AM

Conti GP5000 TL

AJI125 03-18-20 09:43 AM

Width?

noglider 03-18-20 07:07 PM

So much better than C&V.

noglider 03-20-20 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 21374941)
BTW, ordered a pair of those lights you recommended. They sent 1... Nice light, great bargain. Thanks.

You ordered two but got one? I hope they correct that. But yeah it's pretty amazing. I just lost a Cygolite light. Great light, but I'm not going to replace it yet, so I bought my third of those cheap lights. One of them doesn't hold a charge well enough, and its charging port is lopsided. It's cheap, but I'm surprisingly satisfied overall.

noglider 03-28-20 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 21387566)
2nd {headlight} came a week later. I've used them both, good results. I replaced the rubber strap with a much more robust one, and all is good. Thanks again.

Well, out of three I own, one is not reliably holding a charge. Oh well, that's why they're cheap. Maybe I should replace the third before I misconstrue this one as useful.

ascherer 03-28-20 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21375676)
You ordered two but got one? I hope they correct that. But yeah it's pretty amazing. I just lost a Cygolite light. Great light, but I'm not going to replace it yet, so I bought my third of those cheap lights. One of them doesn't hold a charge well enough, and its charging port is lopsided. It's cheap, but I'm surprisingly satisfied overall.

What lights are they, Tom?
EDIT: Found 'em. They look great for the price.

noglider 03-29-20 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ascherer (Post 21388810)
What lights are they, Tom?
EDIT: Found 'em. They look great for the price.

They are. I don't recommend them as primary lights, because they're cheap. As I said, one of the three I own is defective. Spare lights are good to have, and this is the best spare light I can think of. The beam really is like a German light's beam, and it's a bit brighter than my dynamo powered light. The first one I got really did stay on for two hours at high power, which is the rating.

For others who don't know, we are talking about this light. Search for "xanes bike light" because the price varies rapidly.

ascherer 03-29-20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21389517)
They are. I don't recommend them as primary lights, because they're cheap. As I said, one of the three I own is defective. Spare lights are good to have, and this is the best spare light I can think of. The beam really is like a German light's beam, and it's a bit brighter than my dynamo powered light. The first one I got really did stay on for two hours at high power, which is the rating.

For others who don't know, we are talking about this light. Search for "xanes bike light" because the price varies rapidly.

I ordered 3. Your lighting requirements are more robust than mine...I like the auto feature, it’s a good match to the Spanninga rear lights I got. If they are as bright as you say and they hold up I think I’ll be happy.

noglider 03-29-20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ascherer (Post 21390045)
I ordered 3. Your lighting requirements are more robust than mine...I like the auto feature, it’s a good match to the Spanninga rear lights I got. If they are as bright as you say and they hold up I think I’ll be happy.

Uh oh. Now I've decreased the likelihood of you getting a dynamo.

They may not hold up well, but if you have spares, then there's that.

I don't see the point of the auto feature. Why would I turn it on to a mode that detects the light level? I could drive under a streetlamp, and the light would turn my light off momentarily. And it's the first mode when you turn the light on.

ascherer 03-29-20 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21390130)
Uh oh. Now I've decreased the likelihood of you getting a dynamo.

They may not hold up well, but if you have spares, then there's that.

I don't see the point of the auto feature. Why would I turn it on to a mode that detects the light level? I could drive under a streetlamp, and the light would turn my light off momentarily. And it's the first mode when you turn the light on.

Not necessarily. I’ll probably get one opportunistically - when it shows up, I’ll jump. As for the auto feature, I call for an empirical test! Any nearby streetlights in the great north?

noglider 03-29-20 03:18 PM

@ascherer, I'll take it out tonight and test it. There are a few lights here.

ascherer 03-29-20 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21390203)
@ascherer, I'll take it out tonight and test it. There are a few lights here.

It's a cloudy, misty day here and when I touched my locked bike outside Trader Joe's the Spanninga light lit up so it's working in moderate light. I don't think it'll go out under street lighting. I believe it also stays on for 10-15 minutes after movement stops. Auto is the second mode.