Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Need modifications to sit-up (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1167791)

robrpb 03-06-19 01:11 PM

Need modifications to sit-up

I have an old Mongoose Hilltopper with little mileage that I haven't used in years. I am starting to use it again. When I ride it I have to lean forward and lift my head which hurts my neck (age). Since I only want to ride for exercise and pleasure I would like to sit up. Should I buy different handlebars and a stem or would handlebars be sufficient? Is this a good option or is buying a different bike a better option? Thanks.

tyrion 03-06-19 01:32 PM

I'd try a high-rise stem stem first, and if that doesn't get you enough height, then look at high-rise handlebars.

Also, might look at a threaded to threadless stem converter, which might give you more modern options for both stem and bars.

Also, raising handlebars a might require new cables.

Cyclist0108 03-06-19 01:35 PM

Jones Bars might be an option, although probably will cost $100.

https://www.jonesbikes.com/h-bars/

robrpb 03-06-19 02:49 PM

When I was looking for threaded to threadless stem converters I came across the Zoom quick comfort adjustable quill stem. What are your thoughts about it?

MAK 03-07-19 09:48 PM

Probably the cheapest (about $20.00) and easiest fix is a stem riser. I have Delta Stem Risers on two bikes and they solved my problems. There are other brands out there that I'm sure work well.

Kapusta 03-08-19 08:10 AM

Before giving advice on what you should get, it is best to know what you already have:

-If this is a threaded steerer, is the stem already adjusted as high as it can go?

-How long is the current stem?

-How much rise and backsweep does your current handlebar have?

Pics help.

robrpb 03-09-19 08:27 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...db02617f47.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8fad478696.jpg
Thanks for the replies. Attached are a couple photos. I hope they help.

It is adjusteded as high as it can go.

Overall length of stem is about 145mm. The inner measurement is about 90mm. I wasn't sure how to measure it.

Kapusta 03-10-19 01:02 PM

Nice looking bike.

How much higher do you think you want the bars? Do you want them closer to you as well? If it is just a little higher and closer to you, you may achieve that with a new stem. Otherwise a riser bar might be a good idea as well.

Not a fan of adjustable stems myself, but some folks like them and if you are just riding on the road or bike paths, they should be fine. If it sounds like a good idea to you, go for it.

Fastfingaz 03-10-19 03:00 PM

With that bike that's got the brakes and shifters like that well all those cables will have to be changed ,,,,,, shifters and brakes.....at least you can still use those same levers....

robrpb 03-10-19 04:04 PM

With all the changes that will need to be made to get the bike the way I want it, I think it will be better to look for a used bike that is already setup like I want it. What are your thoughts and suggestions about that?

2cam16 03-10-19 04:06 PM

I'd suggest getting a higher angled and shorter stem. If that isn't enough, add-on some risers.

robrpb 03-10-19 05:41 PM

Thanks Rob. Any suggestions as to what angle and how short?

2cam16 03-10-19 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by robrpb (Post 20832068)
Thanks Rob. Any suggestions as to what angle and how short?

That's the tough part. It will all depend on how you want to sit on your bike,.etc.etc. The only way to find out is to try out several until you find the right position but I'm not sure if that's feasible for you. Your local bike shop is your next best bet.
If you lived in the SF Bay Area I'd offer my help as I have a few different stems that will fit your bike.

Darth Lefty 03-10-19 06:13 PM

FWIW I tried cruiser bars on a bike much like this one and they were still too low. Unless you get some handlebars with a lot of rise, I don’t think just the stem is going to do it. You can get a wider seat and push it back too. But really, you are trying to make it into a different kind of bike that already exists.

Even a brand new mountain bike has more handlebar rise than this thanks to the larger size wheels and suspension fork. You could look at one of those, or a comfortable town bike that sits you up completely.

robrpb 03-10-19 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 20832107)
...But really, you are trying to make it into a different kind of bike that already exists.

Thanks for the replies.

What bikes that already exist would you recommend?

Darth Lefty 03-10-19 06:34 PM

At the extreme, Electra Townie... or a recumbent. But most companies make a bike that sits back much more than a 90’s MTB. This is just an example... my wife has one similar though not identical

https://www.raleighusa.com/venture-2-r141

robrpb 03-10-19 07:16 PM

Thanks Darth Lefty. I looked at the Electra Townie, nice bike but very expensive. I like the price of the Raleigh much more. Maybe I can find a used one in good condition.

Kapusta 03-10-19 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by robrpb (Post 20831957)
With all the changes that will need to be made to get the bike the way I want it, I think it will be better to look for a used bike that is already setup like I want it. What are your thoughts and suggestions about that?

How is this bike otherwise? A stem, bar, and (maybe) new cables are all you are going to need. You can find a cheap bar and stem for $50-60. Cheaper if you are good at looking around.

But again, do you know just how much higher and further back you want the bars?

robrpb 03-10-19 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 20832210)
...But again, do you know just how much higher and further back you want the bars?

I am not sure how to measure how much higher and further back I want the bars. I can say that I went for about a 45 minute ride yesterday and I was leaning forward with a lot of weight on my hands and wrist and at times I felt a numbness in my hands and my neck was sore from lifting my head to see where I was going. It was not that pleasurable. I would like to ride where I enjoy it.

Darth Lefty 03-14-19 10:21 AM

Surly just released a new handlebar and it reminded me of this thread. It's not suitable for your bike because it has a modern 31.8mm clamp diameter, but it's similar enough to a lot of others available, with a 34 degree sweep and 40mm rise. Bars like this have the effect of relaxing your wrists, but they don't really sit you up very much, only a little from where you started. They will still be about level with the seat.
https://surlybikes.com/uploads/parts...-1000x1000.jpg
Surly has another handlebar, the Sunrise, which will sit you up, but not sure if its style will suit you.
https://surlybikes.com/uploads/parts...-1000x1000.jpg

Ironfish653 03-19-19 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by robrpb (Post 20831957)

That bike is in very nice shape, and the changes you want to make aren't really that extreme. You don't have to spend $80-$100 for Jones or Soma handlebars, a generic Kalloy would do you just fine for ~$20. Same goes for the stem. Steel and aluminum quill stems are a dime a dozen. Find a co-op or a shop that handles a lot of used bikes. They've probably got a box of take-offs that you could play mix-n-match with.
Find a bar that has a width and sweep that feels good, then see where it fits on your bike, to determine the height and reach of the stem you'll need.
With the style of front brake you have, it'll need a longer cable, but the rest of the cables look to have big enough loops to handle moving a couple of inches higher or wider without too much trouble.

Check out this thread for ideas:
Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

robrpb 03-20-19 06:23 AM

Thanks Ironfish653 for the link. I'll check it out.

Rick 03-21-19 04:53 PM

robrpb : It would be nice to see the whole bicycle to check out the height difference between your seat and handlebar. I was able to solve my height problem with a ritchey adjustable stem. My seat and handlebar were about level with each other. I now have the handlebar about 2 1/2" higher than the seat.

fietsbob 03-22-19 12:23 PM

Wal-Goose ?

Ape hanger high rise bars will let you sit nicely upright,

But..

You would not want to do any off road single track riding, because all that added length upright , will surely move
with the added leverage of that high rise..

Since I only want to ride for exercise and pleasure I would like to sit up.
given this JRA use , you should be OK..
Adding a Stem Raiser to your fork is another option..
Quill stem type is a Chromoly tube reduced half way of its length, so inside if top is = to outside of the bottom.
you can reuse your stem and bars , if you wish.. inserted in the top..

Maybe BMX bars and a stem ,, that you can get the bars clamped in Really securely tight, will work for both..

You will have to replace all the cables to reach the new height, of coursre

MikeDD 03-25-19 10:01 PM

I would buy a new bike that fit my body and the type of riding I want to do. There are a lot of used bikes on Craigslist. Ride them all and buy the one that works for you and your riding style.