Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Garmin’s Varia light and radar (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1164592)

eja_ bottecchia 01-19-19 09:04 AM

Garmin’s Varia light and radar

Good morning, is anyone here using the Garmin Varia rear light and radar?

What has been your experience? Useful tool? Useless gadget?

Do you have the newest version?

Thank you.

eja_ bottecchia 01-19-19 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia (Post 20755006)
Good morning, is anyone here using the Garmin Varia rear light and radar?

What has been your experience? Useful tool? Useless gadget?

Do you have the newest version?

Thank you.

I see that there has already been a couple of threads on the Varia.

I just wanted to get a bigger cross section of user comments, also more recent experiences.

Sorry for the apparent duplication.

Cyclist0108 01-19-19 06:55 PM

I consider it essential, and more useful than a mirror.

eja_ bottecchia 01-20-19 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 20755676)
I consider it essential, and more useful than a mirror.

Thank you.

Right now I am strongly leaning towards getting one to compliment my Cycliq Fly6 rearview camera.

angerdan 01-20-19 07:16 AM

duplicate threads

One disadvantage is, that objects (cars) with the same speed as you arent detected.
Only slower and faster cars.

Already existing threads:
Garmin Varia Radar
Garmin Varia RTL 510 Review (general-cycling-discussion)
Garmin Varia RTL510 and saddlebags
Garmin Varia? Useful?
Garmin Varia Radar light - radar-only option?
Will there ever be a Varia Radar app for smart phones?
Garmin Varia Radar, anyone find the RDU head unit useful?
Anybody using the Garmin Varia radar? (road-cycling)
Garmin Varia Vision–Heads Up Display
garmin varia help
Garmin Varia Radar! Eny usefull? (road-cycling)
Garmin Varia Radar and headlight (road-cycling)

eja_ bottecchia 01-20-19 07:52 AM

Thanks for the links. You did the reseach that pparently I was too lazy to do. :D

eja_ bottecchia 01-20-19 07:31 PM

Alright, based upon everyone’s glowing reviews and a near miss, (or should that be almost-hit) on Highway 192 near Montecito, I decided to order the Varia RTL510.

BTW, the guy in the white pick up diesel truck did not have a front license plate so my Cycliq Fly6 was not able to get the necessary details.

Apparently the in-bred behind the wheel thinks it is funny to scare cyclists and then cover the cyclist in a cloud of diesel soot.

Cyclist0108 01-20-19 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by angerdan (Post 20756109)
One disadvantage is, that objects (cars) with the same speed as you arent detected.
Only slower and faster cars.

Already existing threads:
Garmin’s Varia light and radar

That one is far better than this one.

TimothyH 01-21-19 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 20757100)
That one is far better than this one.

I got caught in an infinite loop for about 30 seconds. It was simultaneously confusing and amusing.

Thanks for that.

-Tim-

Cyclist0108 01-21-19 11:09 AM

I'll be here all day.

Ald1 01-23-19 06:14 AM

Any users with the new slimmer/longer one that also has a saddlebag? How's that working out. Don't know if I have enough seat post left for the rear wheel not to interfere.

angerdan 01-23-19 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ald1 (Post 20760381)
Any users with the new slimmer/longer one that also has a saddlebag? How's that working out. Don't know if I have enough seat post left for the rear wheel not to interfere.

I recommend to read this thread and the exististing topics before asking already answered questions:
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...addlebags.html

JonnyHK 01-23-19 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia (Post 20756136)

Thanks for the links. You did the reseach that pparently I was too lazy to do. :D

Check out DC Rainmaker - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

His reviews are pretty thorough.

eja_ bottecchia 01-23-19 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyHK (Post 20761239)
Check out DC Rainmaker - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

His reviews are pretty thorough.

Thanks, I do look up his newsletter and blog. You are right the reviews are great.

i ended up buying the Varia. I received it last night and will try it out this weekend.

Reviews coming up.

eja_ bottecchia 01-26-19 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ald1 (Post 20760381)

I haven’t used a saddle bag in quite sometime.

SILCA makes a nice bag that can carry all your essentials and can then go in your jersey pockte.

This leaves room under the saddle for the Varia RTL510 and the Cycliq Fly6.

This solution may not work for you (and it is not what you asked about) but it is worth a shot. I never liked saddle bags.

JohnJ80 01-28-19 03:52 PM

You can also get a reflector mount that fits your seat says and integrate that with the K-edge top cap mount without too much trouble.

If you don't care about the light, the radar works fine in a jersey pocket.

I've had all the versions of the varia radars. As long as you understand that it shows differences in speed and you always look before you cross the lane, it's a great tool. It's most useful in open country or rural riding. In the city or urban/high traffic areas it's not too useful - just too much information. Overall, we really like ours so that I got one for my wife for Christmas.

J.

eja_ bottecchia 01-28-19 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by JohnJ80 (Post 20768552)
You can also get a reflector mount that fits your seat says and integrate that with the K-edge top cap mount without too much trouble.

If you don't care about the light, the radar works fine in a jersey pocket.

I've had all the versions of the varia radars. As long as you understand that it shows differences in speed and you always look before you cross the lane, it's a great tool. It's most useful in open country or rural riding. In the city or urban/high traffic areas it's not too useful - just too much information. Overall, we really like ours so that I got one for my wife for Christmas.

J.

You are right. In heavy traffic there is too much info. It works best in open country and rural riding. It is a nice tool to have, but you still need to check your mirror.

This is my set up, which works pretty good (at least for now :thumb:).

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2b58a4a55.jpeg

JohnJ80 01-28-19 05:12 PM

That is a nice set up. I was thinking about doing the same thing since I'm going to be taking a more aggressive approach to drivers that harass cyclists. I like the tail light for the Varia - it's is a very visible daytime taillight. How does it compare to the Cycliq 6 CE? Also where did you get that mount for the camera?

Looks like the Cycliq 6ce's battery drops pretty fast with the light running and not so much with just the camera running.

J.

eja_ bottecchia 01-28-19 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by JohnJ80 (Post 20768670)
That is a nice set up. I was thinking about doing the same thing since I'm going to be taking a more aggressive approach to drivers that harass cyclists. I like the tail light for the Varia - it's is a very visible daytime taillight. How does it compare to the Cycliq 6 CE? Also where did you get that mount for the camera?

Looks like the Cycliq 6ce's battery drops pretty fast with the light running and not so much with just the camera running.

J.

Thanks.

The mount is the official GoPro saddle rail mount. It is $20.00 at Amazon.

I think that both lights are equally strong/visible

Depending on your settings, the Fly6 CE battery can last over 6.5 hours with the camera only. I have never used the Fly 6 with the light on. Before getting the Varia I used a Cygolite tail light.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3310481ea.jpeg

eja_ bottecchia 02-18-19 10:00 PM

VARIA update

I have been using the Varia radar and light (new version) for several weeks now.

Like many of you I didn’t think that I really needed one that is, until I started using mine. Now I cannot imagine riding without one.

I have used it on busy roads (PCH in Ventura and L.A. counties) and on empty country roads. The Varia works well to alert me to approaching traffic. I can then do a quick looksie on my eyeglass mirror to make sure that everything is OK.

The other day I rode on wet and muddy roads. During a brief stop I checked the Varia and it was coated with mud. Nevertheless, it continued to work well, alerting me to traffic.

I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants an extra safety edge.

Cheers!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8133d761f.jpeg

washed up 02-22-19 12:33 PM

My hearing is not the best but I can hear the beep from the 520. I try not to ride without it the down side is poor battery life for the 520 while using it.

JohnJ80 02-22-19 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by washed up (Post 20807378)
My hearing is not the best but I can hear the beep from the 520. I try not to ride without it the down side is poor battery life for the 520 while using it.

the beepers Garmin uses are something that can charitably described as “trash.”

I’d like to see computer manufactures just take them out of the bike altogether and support Bluetooth for external audio. There any number of cheap speakers that are small and can be clipped to your jersey or earbuds that can be used.

Seattle Forrest 02-22-19 02:28 PM

I have a Garmin GPS watch, from the Fenix line. It pairs really well with the radar because it can vibrate on your wrists when there's a car behind you. I can't always hear the chirp, especially coming down hill on rough pavement.

Obviously no one should go out and buy an expensive watch over this. Just sharing my observation.

Seattle Forrest 02-22-19 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by JohnJ80 (Post 20807509)

the beepers Garmin uses are something that can charitably described as “trash.”

I’d like to see computer manufactures just take them out of the bike altogether and support Bluetooth for external audio. There any number of cheap speakers that are small and can be clipped to your jersey or earbuds that can be used.

One thing I like about Samsung phones is that they have ANT+ radios. This must be possible; I wonder if it's already been done?

bobwysiwyg 03-27-20 06:38 PM

OK, resurrecting an old thread, but use a mirror but you can't look constantly so this seemed like a great add-on. Tried it, paired with my Wahoo Bolt. I like it. :thumb:
​​