Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How can you go fast on a df bike without aero bars? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1172777)

fietsbob 05-12-19 11:12 AM

Watch the millennials now racing as pros , and how they sit on the top tube,
Duck down, and get into a little ball, on downhills ..

indyfabz 05-12-19 11:17 AM

woodcraft 05-12-19 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by robnol (Post 20925412)
Went for a 30 mile training ride today.hot sunny and windy..about 13 miles in I passed 2 guys obviously pacelining to avoid the head wind...I passed them no with no problem at all ....I was down on the aero bars all alone with nobody to help me.... and I wondered how the heck do df riders go fast in what seems to be the most un aerodynamic riding position ......

How do you go fast...? You jump on the wheel of the passing rider- duh.

bicyclridr4life 05-12-19 12:08 PM

Fastest I've averaged on level ground in Tampa, Florida was only 27mph.
Of course that was before aero bars were invented. I only had drop bars on that Schwinn Prelude ... and I always rode on the hoods.
That was back in 2000/2001.
I traded the Schwinn for a mountain bike before 9-11, and haven't had a road bike since.

BlazingPedals 05-12-19 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 20925794)
It is a hate-speak term introduced by the recumbent community.

It's not "hate-speak;" but it does refer to what most people consider a 'regular' bike, "DF" standing for "Diamond Frame" due to the double-diamond design of most UCI-Compliant bikes. I prefer to use the term, "upright" as being more universally-understood. A lot of cyclists don't even know the style of bike they ride is officially a "Safety Bicycle."

Cyclist0108 05-12-19 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ (Post 20925840)
wgscott -- Where did you get the Bianchi mint green matching frame pump? That is too much!!!

Dan

Celeste.

It came with the bike, or at least I bought it at the same time (in 1987). The original stem was slammed. That was great when I was 25, but I doubt it made me any less slow.

bruce19 05-12-19 01:19 PM

To the original question.....On the hoods, on an 18 lb. steel Guru, on a 1 mi. relatively flat Strava segment, I have done 25 mph. I was 72 at the time.

delbiker1 05-12-19 01:20 PM

Do I detect a bit of insecurity in this OP? You might try to understand that a lot of cyclists have chronic spinal issues and riding in the aero bar position, for some, is the most uncomfortable position to ride in. I include myself in that group and I am happy that after 4 spinal surgeries I can still ride a bike, especially a road bike. If passing me or anyone else makes you feel superior, get on with your bad self.

ThermionicScott 05-12-19 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 20926047)
Ha! I'm still on Earth!

You should think of me as your old Hell-raising grandpappy who died of a heart attack in a brothel. Not raising Hell anymore but still looking down in approval on other Hell raisers. I'm sure a ouija board can easily conjure up a response from me (or a Mention or a PM). Meanwhile I will hang out in Purgatory (Car-Free) where I am still relevant until the Lord comes for me.

Hope you are Catholic enough to get the references.

Thanks for conjuring me up bro! I still get BF alerts and will continue to do so.

I was raised Lutheran, so I caught most of it.

This guy shows some entertainment potential, but it doesn't hold a candle to your geek-hunting stories. :thumb:

burnthesheep 05-12-19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by robnol (Post 20925749)
the least comfortable dude u must be kidding its the most comfortable....and my training is all about speed or else whats the point of bike training unless ur just pleasure riding ....time trials are my thing fun honest me against the next guy without using another rider for assistance"pacelining"

If it’s THAT comfortable, your position probably isn’t optimal.

It shouldn’t be so comfy you throw away drag improvements but not so tortured you can’t hold it for the duration.

Ironfish653 05-12-19 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by robnol (Post 20925860)
not a competition just an observation....not everything is a im better than u scenario....bf posters alwats get defensive when someone with different views or opinions posts something.......should change the name to like minded .com

So what's with all the competitive 'overdog' posts, there, Mr 'All my training is about speed or whats the point?" This is General Cycling, not 'The 33'

It's an unusual training regimen, too. What kind of event(s) are you training for?

robnol 05-12-19 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ironfish653 (Post 20926373)
So what's with all the competitive 'overdog' posts, there, Mr 'All my training is about speed or whats the point?" This is General Cycling, not 'The 33'

It's an unusual training regimen, too. What kind of event(s) are you training for?

i try to do time trials or whatever i can given kids wife after school activities...and work load...

shelbyfv 05-12-19 04:11 PM

Time trials must be an interesting niche of cycle racing but the opportunities to compete seem very limited. OP, do you have a local series or do you have to travel extensively to events? We don't get too many pics of serious TT bikes either, so post 'em up!:thumb:

robnol 05-12-19 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 20926454)
Time trials must be an interesting niche of cycle racing but the opportunities to compete seem very limited. OP, do you have a local series or do you have to travel extensively to events? We don't get too many pics of serious TT bikes either, so post 'em up!:thumb:

they are fun...local races mostly...i do what i can given my busy life races are a great motivator and help keep a guy from boredom burnout...im getting into duathalons push myself see what i can do...doesnt really require much more training i was and still am a runner...

Cyclist0108 05-12-19 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by robnol (Post 20926422)
i try to do time trials or whatever i can given kids wife after school activities...and work load...

Are you a native speaker of English?

Cyclist0108 05-12-19 05:34 PM

I think I might get some aero bars and sharpen the ends to play "triceratops rampage" on the MUT.

Happy Feet 05-13-19 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 20926538)
I think I might get some aero bars and sharpen the ends to play "triceratops rampage" on the MUT.

Aeros make a great mount for cell phones so you can text while riding.

AlmostTrick 05-13-19 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ironfish653 (Post 20926373)
What kind of event(s) are you training for?

TT. (troll trials)

robnol 05-13-19 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick (Post 20927095)
TT. (troll trials)

likeminded.com for the sheepish riding community...made just for you...keep on conforming

AlmostTrick 05-13-19 06:47 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...83f7346965.png

Rides4Beer 05-13-19 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by robnol (Post 20925412)
and I wondered how the heck do df riders go fast in what seems to be the most un aerodynamic riding position ......

More watts. :thumb:

The top guys in the Merckz class at a recent TT here were faster than most of the guys with full TT setups. Sure, they'd be even faster if they were on a TT bike, but you can go pretty fast on drop bars if you've got the power.

caloso 05-13-19 12:26 PM

Eddy was more aero on the tops than 90% of the riders I see in the drops.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/f652bdab...158mo1_500.jpg

Phil_gretz 05-13-19 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by bakerjw (Post 20925826)
So... What is a DF bike? So far we have...
Diamond Frame
TDF sans T

Dude's Flyin'

livedarklions 05-13-19 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 20927912)
Dude's Flyin'

Dat's funny!

bbbean 05-13-19 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by robnol (Post 20925775)
no i was doing 20mph i was only 13 miles into a training ride so i was still in warm up mode...save the all out effort for the 2nd half

No Way, dude, 20 mph? Seriously? Is that humanly possible?