Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   2015 PanAm velodrome update (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=949621)

gtrob 05-22-14 05:36 PM

2015 PanAm velodrome update

I won't try to express how excited I am for this place (have I mentioned I am a 15min drive away) but I did want to share some of the pictures of ongoing construction. I ride by all the time on my road rides and its interesting to see the progress week to week. Also kind of cool to see what it looks like UNDER the track. Current status is they are ~4 weeks behind due to the awful winter but plan to be ready for a UCI/nationals event in October. There is a good chance hardly anyone will even ride it before that!

http://canadiancyclist.com/races14/m...21DSC_4342.jpg

http://canadiancyclist.com/races14/m...21DSC_4350.jpg

http://canadiancyclist.com/races14/m...21DSC_4373.jpg

Impreza_aL 05-22-14 06:45 PM

must be nice to have a country and cares.

sstang13 05-22-14 07:50 PM

Do you know if any track skills from the FCV carry over to this velodrome? I got my track 2 there in 2013/14 winter but will likely try the track again once this is built.. I am only ~30min away :)

taras0000 05-22-14 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by sstang13 (Post 16783564)
Do you know if any track skills from the FCV carry over to this velodrome? I got my track 2 there in 2013/14 winter but will likely try the track again once this is built.. I am only ~30min away :)

All the skills you learned at FCV will translate to any track you ride. The only adjustment you will have to make is to lessen the extreme that these techniques are taken to. If you are wondering if your "track 1" credentials will transfer over to this new track allowing you to skip these intro session, then no. All tracks have these sessions to limit their liability. At the very least you will have to ride and demonstrate your skills with an experienced local who deals with running the track.

I lived in Hamilton, but just moved to Edmonton three months ago, so I envy you being able to ride this track whenever you please. Yes there is a fine drome in YEG, but I was so looking forward to seeing Milton go up.

Jared. 05-23-14 06:59 AM

I actually just moved from Toronto this past fall and was really disappointed to be moving away from what looks like will be a beautiful facility. I will definitely get out to that track when visiting friends in the future.

I was more blown away by the long term funding that the PanAm games, and more importantly the province of Ontario have set up to not let it fall by the wayside once the games are over.

Very disappointed to not be living in Toronto for the PanAm games.

gtrob 05-23-14 07:42 AM

LA has a weekly class that is designed for people who ride other tracks and we will likely set something like that up for all the FCV riders. Steve Bauer (Steve Bauer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is running the programming when it opens and has been down to FCV a lot to learn how we do things there. But as mentioned, we tell people "if you can handle FCV, you can handle any track".

Even for people who don't consider themselves 'track racers' will be using the track all winter I am sure, same as London. Sure beats the trainer!

Dalai 05-24-14 04:42 AM

Looks good. Still amazed how few indoor tracks there are in your part of the world!

sstang13 05-24-14 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by taras0000 (Post 16783744)
All the skills you learned at FCV will translate to any track you ride. The only adjustment you will have to make is to lessen the extreme that these techniques are taken to. If you are wondering if your "track 1" credentials will transfer over to this new track allowing you to skip these intro session, then no. All tracks have these sessions to limit their liability. At the very least you will have to ride and demonstrate your skills with an experienced local who deals with running the track.

I lived in Hamilton, but just moved to Edmonton three months ago, so I envy you being able to ride this track whenever you please. Yes there is a fine drome in YEG, but I was so looking forward to seeing Milton go up.

Thanks, that makes sense. You won't be able to ride the track at all then since you moved? That would kind of suck.

Originally Posted by Dalai (Post 16787257)
Looks good. Still amazed how few indoor tracks there are in your part of the world!

Ya cycling isn't the most popular sport around here but I think it's on the rise. I thought cycling would be booming after Hesjedal won the 2012 giro but that didn't seem to do as much as I'd thought, maybe with this velodrome it'll spike something!

gtrob 05-24-14 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by sstang13 (Post 16787505)
Ya cycling isn't the most popular sport around here but I think it's on the rise. I thought cycling would be booming after Hesjedal won the 2012 giro but that didn't seem to do as much as I'd thought, maybe with this velodrome it'll spike something!

We have had various cyclist over the years win gold, ride yellow, etc. but unless they played for the leafs they are not going to be known in this country. The only thing that will grow the sport is infrastructure like this, it happened in the UK and Im hoping Canada will follow to some extent. Needless to say I imagine the track will be pretty quiet for the first couple of years.

sstang13 05-24-14 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by gtrob (Post 16787939)
We have had various cyclist over the years win gold, ride yellow, etc. but unless they played for the leafs they are not going to be known in this country. The only thing that will grow the sport is infrastructure like this, it happened in the UK and Im hoping Canada will follow to some extent. Needless to say I imagine the track will be pretty quiet for the first couple of years.

True, then again, I guess hockey over in Europe will never really be as big as it is here. I'm not really complaining to much either though because with the few velodromes we have here, its nice to be able to go there and not worry about having 100 people trying to get on lol

Cantrackie 05-24-14 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by gtrob (Post 16787939)

It won't be quiet when I get there.

houleskis 06-10-14 11:44 AM

Gents,
Was tweeting with @Miltonvelodrome yesterday. Apparently the facility will be open for public programming in November (I presume after the nationals and the Pan Am test events). Pretty excited over here!!

Jared. 06-10-14 01:08 PM

Just in time for winter. Awesome.

CharlyAlfaRomeo 06-10-14 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by taras0000 (Post 16783744)

I'm pretty sure they broke ground this year on an indoor velodrome in Edmonton.

sstang13 06-10-14 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by houleskis (Post 16838473)
Gents,
Was tweeting with @Miltonvelodrome yesterday. Apparently the facility will be open for public programming in November (I presume after the nationals and the Pan Am test events). Pretty excited over here!!

That is great. Hopefully I'll be able to ride it during the test event as I signed up to be a volunteer but my application is still "under review"..

gtrob 06-10-14 09:32 PM

Yup, nationals and an international event in Mid October, will be generally open to the public after that. Should see membership options around August. What a great way to end the summer with that race and then LAGP a few weeks later.

They are also planning to run an O-cup series this winter. No idea on the format, Im hoping sprint and endurance points like NTC does but it might also just be a 'mixed bag' or omnium style. Considering how FEW people ride track Im not sure what the first year will be like.

wens 06-11-14 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by gtrob (Post 16840324)
Considering how FEW people ride track Im not sure what the first year will be like.

I'd drive the five hours up there in a heartbeat for a weekend of racing, so there may be more people than you expect.

Jared. 06-11-14 07:54 AM

There is a growing fixed gear community in Toronto. It will be interesting to see how that translates to use of the track.

gtrob 06-11-14 08:31 AM

The fact that it is indoors I think will gain a lot of interest in the winter. Road riders will use it to keep/gain fitness over the winter, that is what 90% of our track riders are right now in London. I dont doubt the sport will grow, you need the infrastructure first right :)

gtrob 06-24-14 11:05 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...20600909_n.jpg

gtrob 08-24-14 07:38 PM

Outer building structure is complete. Track structure is nearly complete, they will be nailing boards down soon.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bvw81KXCIAAS6vq.jpg

Dalai 08-25-14 03:25 AM

Looking good. Excited for you gtrob! :thumb:

majorca 08-26-14 04:35 PM

That's me!

gtrob 08-26-14 05:14 PM

Feel free to post any pics you have!

Also for any locals, they have a schedule up for track classes if you know anyone wanting to get on this winter.

Home - Milton Velodrome

They want $250/year for a locker. Would be nice to leave wheels, pump etc at the track but that's a lot. I still plan to ride other tracks so I wouldn't be able to leave my bike there all the time anyway, so we'll see if I get tired of dragging my bike there.

Drop in session pass is $400, and all structured training is extra. Is this how other major tracks work too? The other tracks I race are more 'club' feel but are nothing like this kind of facility. What is LA like for costs? Or the really nice tracks in AUS?

700wheel 08-26-14 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by gtrob (Post 17073451)

They want $250/year for a locker. Would be nice to leave wheels, pump etc at the track but that's a lot. I still plan to ride other tracks so I wouldn't be able to leave my bike there all the time anyway, so we'll see if I get tired of dragging my bike there.

Drop in session pass is $400, and all structured training is extra. Is this how other major tracks work too? The other tracks I race are more 'club' feel but are nothing like this kind of facility. What is LA like for costs? Or the really nice tracks in AUS?

These costs are somewhat similar to those at my local velodrome ($550 per year and $120 storage).