Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pedal advice needed (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1206559)

benjamin163 07-04-20 09:11 AM

Pedal advice needed

Hello, I get my new bike in August, Fairlight Strael.
I will be doing the odd 60 mile ride with many more 20 mile rides in between.
A fun rider at best but appreciate the comfort and stability my new bike will hopefully afford.
I specced up to Mason 4 season wheels but kept everything else standard as I don't consider myself in any way up to it.
So I'm not interested in losing the odd few grammes here or there (unless it's from my ample girth!)
What are a good pair of pedals to suit my needs?
Any help gratefully received.

Mulberry20 07-04-20 09:19 AM

My total indifference to Shimano components stops at the pedals. Without a doubt Shimano makes the best and most trouble free pedals and cleats. The 105 pedals are ideal but the Ultegra pedals might be better suited for such a nice bike.

I have used Look and Time pedals as well as the horrendous Speedplay pedals and Shimanos are the best by far.

You will get a million recommendations on Speedplay but nothing sucks more than those pedals. If you get sucked into Speedplay, remember this post six months from now.

Bigbus 07-04-20 09:34 AM

Pedal choice is like saddle choice, personal preference goes a long way. What style of pedal are you considering? I personally prefer platforms. I just put on a new set of Rockbros 4.10 platform pedals and love them. It feels like my feet are drawn to them like magnets and you can swap out the studs for more or less aggressive ones simply by going to the hardware store. Good luck

blakcloud 07-04-20 09:48 AM

Is your new bike meant to compliment your other two bikes the Hoy and Condor? Or is it a replacement?

Normally I would say have at least one bike with platforms, they just make life simpler for those short jaunts to the store. Barring that, I think a Shimano SPD pedal might be something to consider.

Buying a clip-less pedal means purchasing new shoes which is an added expense.

Litespud 07-04-20 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mulberry20 (Post 21568654)
My total indifference to Shimano components stops at the pedals. Without a doubt Shimano makes the best and most trouble free pedals and cleats. The 105 pedals are ideal but the Ultegra pedals might be better suited for such a nice bike.

I have used Look and Time pedals as well as the horrendous Speedplay pedals and Shimanos are the best by far.

You will get a million recommendations on Speedplay but nothing sucks more than those pedals. If you get sucked into Speedplay, remember this post six months from now.

agreed - although a committed Campagnolo fan, I have Shimano Ultegra SPD-SLs on my good bike - well over 10 years old and have been faultless - i have never had an accidental pull-out- and the only time engagement has been tricky was when the cleats were gunked up with mud or slush - easily fixed. Also easy to maintain. If/when these finally wear out, another pair of SPD-SLs without question

Mulberry20 07-04-20 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Litespud (Post 21568761)
agreed - although a committed Campagnolo fan, I have Shimano Ultegra SPD-SLs on my good bike - well over 10 years old and have been faultless - i have never had an accidental pull-out- and the only time engagement has been tricky was when the cleats were gunked up with mud or slush - easily fixed. Also easy to maintain. If/when these finally wear out, another pair of SPD-SLs without question

I have Shimano pedals on two Campagnolo Chorus groupsets and it hurts a bit to look at them but the performance is without even the slightest criticism.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8211bd432.jpeg

Toespeas 07-05-20 02:01 AM

your question is way to vaugue ,

are you doing off road or gravel ?
what kind of shoes do you wear ?
do you want clipless or flats maybe cages ?

my observations on clipless pedals is their is 3 main choices and fun minor choices , so you have shimano , look , and speed play .

shimano makes a decent pedal and has 3 cleats to give you more or less float , look are the original and offer much the same but i have found their ZERO float is true and doesnt wiggle at all as much a shimano , and i have never used speed play , but i have heard speed plays gives you the most amo8unt of adjustability , compared to any system .
i dont use time or crankborthers , but i hear things , and if you need flat peds i have no clue .

one note about shimano , is they love too trickle down their tech , so their old dura ace style is a new lower generic model .

and i wouldn't look to peds to looks grams on a bike , carbon cranks are ok but you really dont want carbon peds s they will break and get chewed up over time !

benjamin163 07-05-20 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by blakcloud (Post 21568716)
Is your new bike meant to compliment your other two bikes the Hoy and Condor? Or is it a replacement?

Normally I would say have at least one bike with platforms, they just make life simpler for those short jaunts to the store. Barring that, I think a Shimano SPD pedal might be something to consider.

Buying a clip-less pedal means purchasing new shoes which is an added expense.

My son will inherit the Condor and the Hoy is just for commuting. Excuse my ignorance, what are 'platforms'?
At the moment on my Hoy I have just normal flat pedals.
On my condor I have pedals that accept three pin cleats.

benjamin163 07-05-20 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Toespeas (Post 21569901)
your question is way to vaugue ,

are you doing off road or gravel ?
what kind of shoes do you wear ?
do you want clipless or flats maybe cages ?

my observations on clipless pedals is their is 3 main choices and fun minor choices , so you have shimano , look , and speed play .

shimano makes a decent pedal and has 3 cleats to give you more or less float , look are the original and offer much the same but i have found their ZERO float is true and doesnt wiggle at all as much a shimano , and i have never used speed play , but i have heard speed plays gives you the most amo8unt of adjustability , compared to any system .
i dont use time or crankborthers , but i hear things , and if you need flat peds i have no clue .

one note about shimano , is they love too trickle down their tech , so their old dura ace style is a new lower generic model .

and i wouldn't look to peds to looks grams on a bike , carbon cranks are ok but you really dont want carbon peds s they will break and get chewed up over time !

Thanks for the reply.
I will only really be riding on the road.
At the moment I wear shoes with three bolt cleats and I guess I've got used to that.
People have replied talking about 'platforms' but I don't know what they are!
You mention 'clipless'. What is that?
And are 'flats' for shoes that you can walk with?
Also what are cages?
Seems like there are more options than I thought!

JohnDThompson 07-05-20 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by benjamin163 (Post 21569928)
At the moment I wear shoes with three bolt cleats and I guess I've got used to that.

This implies that you currently use cleats. What do you find deficient about your current pedals and cleats that makes you want to change them?

People have replied talking about 'platforms' but I don't know what they are!
"Platform" pedals have a flat surface to accept cleatless shoes, e.g. "street" shoes.

You mention 'clipless'. What is that?
Those are pedal/cleat systems that work without traditional toeclips and straps. Your three-bolt shoes are designed to work with such a system.

And are 'flats' for shoes that you can walk with?
Yes. some pedals are available with a platform on one side for street shoes and a cleat mechanism on the other side to work with bike shoes.

Also what are cages?
"Cages" is a common misnomer referring to toeclips, which in combination with a strap and optionally a slotted cleat, secure your foot to the pedal in a manner similar to that of modern clipless cleats and pedals.

Gconan 07-05-20 07:43 AM

With Shimano SPD's you can walk around some.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...addcd6caa1.jpg

Juan Foote 07-05-20 07:50 AM

Probably already been said a few times....

Where is comes to on bike comfort and stability for my (foot) I prefer my Shimano 105's. The ONLY thing I don't care for with them is there is almost no float. Very secure fit, nice click, and a big platform for the bottom of your foot which, according to shoe selection may or may not matter.

Where is comes to convenience and the ability to walk around while out riding, I prefer Egg Beaters. They are simple to get in, have good float, and offer (the choice of) a shoe from very stiff competitive type bottoms to sandals, according to your desire. The only aspect of them I don't like is, and particularly in respect to my prosthesis, they are not a solid enough "click in" that I feel secure standing and pedalling (just for that side). I also prefer the ease of release with them as opposed to the 105.

For my beater social ride bike I use platforms based on the DX style.

roth rothar 07-05-20 07:56 AM

I like the Shimano M520 pedal, it is double sided which make it easier to clip in and is compatible with bike shoes that you can walk in.

Mulberry20 07-05-20 08:05 AM

Original poster, just buy the Shimano Ultegra pedals they come with the yellow cleats and enjoy the bike.