Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Today I: (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=728661)

calv 04-18-11 07:17 PM

Today I:

I thought it's be good to have a "what did you do today" kind of thread like I see on DavisFixed. I searched, didn't see one, so here it is! (Mods plzzzz don't delete :) )

Today I just got back from Oakland to Davis for a midterm, and what normally takes a 1 hour drive, turned into a 3 and a half hour drive due to TWO accidents, and a backed up toll plaza due to the accidents. I happened to make it to my class 30 minutes late.

I get home to see a package from Niagara-- cool it's my seatpost. But I don't see my package from BikeWordUSA, which is supposed to be my silver Origin 8 headset. I check online and it said USPS delivered it last Thursday, when I was still home. So basically either something went terribly wrong with the delivery, or someone totally stole it!

Now I feel like complete ass because I can't ride my bike lol. I think I'm going to treat myself to some PB&J, and buy a new Chris King headset. And maybe some Wounded Knee knickers from Retrogression. blah.

Scrodzilla 04-18-11 07:23 PM

That's what you get for giving Origin 8 your money.

/thread.

(just kiddin' calv)

yummygooey 04-18-11 07:23 PM

I didn't do anything today, but yesterday I went on a the first 20ish mile ride in awhile. It was the first weekend in a long, long time that I didn't have 1000000000000000 hours of homework to do. Felt good, bro.

calv 04-18-11 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 12524952)
That's what you get for giving Origin 8 your money.

/thread.

(just kiddin' calv)

I blame the people who told me to get total **** or a CK.

So pretty much, I do get what I deserve for going the "total *****" route LOL.

Originally Posted by yummygooey (Post 12524953)
I didn't do anything today, but yesterday I went on a the first 20ish mile ride in awhile. It was the first weekend in a long, long time that I didn't have 1000000000000000 hours of homework to do. Felt good, bro.

Sounds sick. I wanna get out on the road so baddddddd.

Scrodzilla 04-18-11 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by calv (Post 12524928)
And maybe some Wounded Knee knickers from Retrogression. blah.

You'd better hurry. They're selling like hotcakes.

FastJake 04-18-11 07:42 PM

Today I took out the SS MTB for the first mountain bike ride of the season. The trails were wet and very slippery, but not actually muddy. It was a blast, I have to get out more often.

calv 04-18-11 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 12524981)
You'd better hurry. They're selling like hotcakes.

They look so dope! But how I'm feeling about them is:

Y U NO COST FREE????

Originally Posted by FastJake (Post 12525032)
Today I took out the SS MTB for the first mountain bike ride of the season. The trails were wet and very slippery, but not actually muddy. It was a blast, I have to get out more often.

I should convert my old Cannondale MTB into a SS and start hitting trails, looks crazy!

jdgesus 04-18-11 07:58 PM

today i rode 30m home in about 1h40m
insanely lovely this afternoon

Scrodzilla 04-18-11 08:07 PM

Today I woke up at 5:30am, ate some chorizo & eggs and went for a long ride along the coast while the sun came up. Was tempted to jump into the ocean but my feet told me the water was only about 45 degrees so no dice. Swung by the shop where I occasionally work as a tech, got my hands dirty doing three tune ups and building two bikes. Went across the street and bought a roast beef sandwich. Ate said roast beef sandwich while thinking how much I ****ing love roast beef sandwiches. Didn't feel like riding home with a belly full of meat so I got on the train with my bike and got off two stops later near Retrogression HQ. Packed up a bunch of orders, answered a bunch of e-mails, made some calls and waited for the mail pickup. Shot the breeze with our mail guy Jim (I swear it's the same conversation every day). Packed up my computer and rode home (about 5 minutes). Drank a beer on my back porch. Came inside and took a nap with my cat Syd. Woke up when Angie got home, fired up the grill for dinner and made some awesome teriyaki chicken, corn on the cob and sweet potatoes.

As complicated as life can be sometimes, every now and then I have days that make me feel incredibly lucky to be alive.

Sebster 04-18-11 08:07 PM

Got my r540s and a new cog (18t) in the mail
cleaned/lubed my chain, wiped down the frame, derotafixed the 15t cog on there, threw it on the freewheel side with a bb lockring, rotafixed the new 18t cog on the fixed side, threw the formula lockring on there - tried to see if the chain length would still work (key work try because my bb/crankset is off the bike, waiting for a new bb) = seriously 1 mm of space needed to get the chain off on the 18t side.

considering whether to go half link or a full link up, on the 15t side its already 50-60% out in the dropouts..

sjmartin 04-18-11 08:07 PM

Today I wished I didn't click on this thread.

Scrodzilla 04-18-11 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by sjmartin (Post 12525136)

But you still felt the need to comment.

Sebster 04-18-11 08:19 PM

come on come on we're all squirrels here

Dannihilator 04-18-11 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by sjmartin (Post 12525136)

It's not required to open every thread or reply to every thread.

Today I got in two rides and discovered that I've changed some as a rider. This bloodclot thing has forced me to push an easier gear and I've benefited from it. I've gotten faster and much faster than before this all happened. Before I was fast, but in more spaced out efforts.

calv 04-18-11 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 12525132)
Today I woke up at 5:30am, ate some chorizo & eggs and went for a long ride along the coast while the sun came up. Was tempted to jump into the ocean but my feet told me the water was only about 45 degrees so no dice. Swung by the shop where I occasionally work as a tech, got my hands dirty doing three tune ups and building two bikes. Went across the street and bought a roast beef sandwich. Ate said roast beef sandwich while thinking how much I ****ing love roast beef sandwiches. Didn't feel like riding home with a belly full of meat so I got on the train with my bike and got off two stops later near Retrogression HQ. Packed up a bunch of orders, answered a bunch of e-mails, made some calls and waited for the mail pickup. Shot the breeze with our mail guy Jim (I swear it's the same conversation every day). Packed up my computer and rode home (about 5 minutes). Drank a beer on my back porch. Came inside and took a nap with my cat Syd. Woke up when Angie got home, fired up the grill for dinner and made some awesome teriyaki chicken, corn on the cob and sweet potatoes.

As complicated as life can be sometimes, every now and then I have days that make me feel incredibly lucky to be alive.

Dude, is this a movie? lmao AWESOME day. I think I'll order those knickers by tonight if I feel like it, still on the fence about spending more money when I got rent to pay, lol.

Originally Posted by Sebster (Post 12525135)
Got my r540s and a new cog (18t) in the mail
cleaned/lubed my chain, wiped down the frame, derotafixed the 15t cog on there, threw it on the freewheel side with a bb lockring, rotafixed the new 18t cog on the fixed side, threw the formula lockring on there - tried to see if the chain length would still work (key work try because my bb/crankset is off the bike, waiting for a new bb) = seriously 1 mm of space needed to get the chain off on the 18t side.

considering whether to go half link or a full link up, on the 15t side its already 50-60% out in the dropouts..

Good news dude, the Wheels Manufacturing chainwhip worked just fine. First use I took off a cog and put two on with it and didn't have any problems. No more rotafixing for you! ;p

Leukybear 04-18-11 08:28 PM

Oakland :twitchy:
Having one episode of gangland about your back yard is bad, let alone 2!

Yea it happens, somebody walking by and seeing that package on the porch...
What part of oakland are you from?

Don't splurge on a king headset until you set up a P.O. Box; problem solved.

xavier853 04-18-11 08:30 PM

I did the morning commute to campus, and then the evening stroll back home.

Sebster 04-18-11 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by calv (Post 12525200)
Dude, is this a movie? lmao AWESOME day. I think I'll order those knickers by tonight if I feel like it, still on the fence about spending more money when I got rent to pay, lol.

Good news dude, the Wheels Manufacturing chainwhip worked just fine. First use I took off a cog and put two on with it and didn't have any problems. No more rotafixing for you! ;p

grats man! i'll look into that, but for now i'm pretty broke
even more of a pain rotafixing on an actual track bb because it's shorter, less room for the chain to wrap around

advice guys? should i get a half link? is there some way to get the chain off when it's all the way back in the dropouts?

Dannihilator 04-18-11 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sebster (Post 12525252)
grats man! i'll look into that, but for now i'm pretty broke
even more of a pain rotafixing on an actual track bb because it's shorter, less room for the chain to wrap around

advice guys? should i get a half link? is there some way to get the chain off when it's all the way back in the dropouts?

Remove the chainring bolts and carefully dislodge the chainring or if you are careful and have a chain breaker, break the chain.

seventythree 04-18-11 08:45 PM

hangover from drinking swill last night.
still went to work.
freaked out the some dude lost his finger on a forklift last night. crazy!
big apple tires for my 29er finally arrived*
took the vassago jabberwocky to my not so LBS but the only LBS i trust.
evening ride on me Pashley Guv'nor tut tut.
beer,chicken and broc and cheese for supper.

*never again will i order from bikebling- a set of tires should not take a month
to process and ship. buncha CA flakes

dookie 04-18-11 08:59 PM

today, i continued reading the local news about the NC tornado fallout and greatly appreciated the fact that my family and i were completely unaffected. 62 confirmed funnel touchdowns and 22 deaths in the state less than 48hrs ago. a friend's wife was in a home improvement store when the roof came off and the walls collapsed (she's fine). another friend just had his condo condemned. 5 of the deaths happened within riding distance of my house.

i want scrod's day.
(that said, i did grill some waygu beef and open a beautiful oak aged double ipa tonight...weather's gorgeous now.)

yummygooey 04-18-11 09:07 PM

Oh yea, I pieced together the KHS Flite 100 today. I don't know why I have 3 steel bikes. :(

hamish5178 04-18-11 09:08 PM

Picked up a guitar that was being repaired. Sold said guitar. Made mucho $$$$$.

Tomorrow will be new frame ordering day!

calv 04-18-11 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Leukybear (Post 12525228)
Oakland :twitchy:
Having one episode of gangland about your back yard is bad, let alone 2!

Yea it happens, somebody walking by and seeing that package on the porch...
What part of oakland are you from?

Don't splurge on a king headset until you set up a P.O. Box; problem solved.

Funny thing is, my package got jacked in my apartment complex in Davis, CA. Not from my actual house. From now on, I'd rather wait till the weekend and pick up my packages at my house then to have it delivered to Davis.

I live in East Oakland, right off of MacArthur.

And for the most part, if I can't find my package and I'm in need of a headset anyways .. :P I'll just swap it over to when I upgrade from my Kilo to maybe a Godzilla or something that has a 1" headtube haha.

redpear 04-18-11 09:31 PM

Today the power was out in my part of town for about 5 hours. A couple of my classes were canceled, so all said and I done I hopped on my bike to kill the cold drizzle. I made it a point to maintain a relatively fast cadence throughout, as if following a musical flow. It tore me up after a few miles, but it was fun taking advantage of the confusion that a power outage can bring.

Also, a mild earthquake hit us, but I barely felt it.