Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Bike Shop Etiquette Question (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1202424)

So Square 05-23-20 07:20 PM

Bike Shop Etiquette Question

If you took your bike to a shop for repairs, when you picked the bike up, would you expect the seat/seat post to be in the same position as it was when you dropped it off, or completely moved from where you had it dialed in?

WorldIRC 05-23-20 07:32 PM

Dialed in

Carbonfiberboy 05-23-20 07:45 PM

The etiquette is in what you do about it if they've moved it from the way you had it. You do them a favor and tell them about it, that's all. I tell bike shops about it if anything's wrong when I've had something done. One thing I've learned to do is to check the torque on my cassette if I even think they might have messed with it - that's after having a cassette come completely loose on a ride. I've found it too loose a couple times since then, different shops.

noodle soup 05-23-20 07:48 PM

I always mark the seatpost prior to moving it, and replace it to the original position.

GlennR 05-23-20 07:51 PM

It should come back the same. They should of marked it with tape.

WorldIRC 05-23-20 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21493465)
It should come back the same. They should of marked it with tape.

This was our practice when I worked at my LBS a decade ago.

Russ Roth 05-23-20 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by WorldIRC (Post 21493479)
This was our practice when I worked at my LBS a decade ago.

And is still the practice of any good mechanic as far as I'm concerned. My own aluminum I mark, anything else tape.

NoWhammies 05-23-20 10:39 PM

Dialed in.

znomit 05-23-20 11:26 PM

You should expect it to be set back correctly, but be prepared in case it's not.

So Square 05-24-20 01:07 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Good, I’m not crazy. Yeah, it’s seems like incredibly lazy workmanship. I didn’t catch it until I got my bike home, so I had no discussion with the shop. I did however post this exact same question on a local Facebook cycling group and to my surprise everyone said it shouldn’t be expected, that the seat can come back where ever, because the bike mechanic may have had to take it for a test ride, or they may have needed to lower the seat to work on it in the repair stand. Just seems lazy.

guadzilla 05-24-20 03:12 AM

Could just be an oversight...

popeye 05-24-20 09:55 AM

I have no faith in getting anything right back from a shop.

noodle soup 05-24-20 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by So Square (Post 21493804)
Thanks for the feedback. Good, I’m not crazy. Yeah, it’s seems like incredibly lazy workmanship. I didn’t catch it until I got my bike home, so I had no discussion with the shop. I did however post this exact same question on a local Facebook cycling group and to my surprise everyone said it shouldn’t be expected, that the seat can come back where ever, because the bike mechanic may have had to take it for a test ride, or they may have needed to lower the seat to work on it in the repair stand. Just seems lazy.

Originally Posted by guadzilla (Post 21493857)
Could just be an oversight...

That's my guess

blazin 05-24-20 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 21493454)
The etiquette is in what you do about it if they've moved it from the way you had it.

And in what the shop does when you politely tell them about it.

I once told a shop, that I had used for the first time, that the bike I picked up from them had the seat post not returned to its original position. I didn’t think it was a big, but I figured the manager might want to know about it to remind his service staff about proper SOP.

The guy behind the desk didn’t take his eyes off the TV and replied with something to the effect of, “Next time we don’t have to test ride it.” I haven’t been back to that store since.

Carbonfiberboy 05-24-20 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by blazin (Post 21494454)
And in what the shop does when you politely tell them about it.

I once told a shop, that I had used for the first time, that the bike I picked up from them had the seat post not returned to its original position. I didn’t think it was a big, but I figured the manager might want to know about it to remind his service staff about proper SOP.

The guy behind the desk didn’t take his eyes off the TV and replied with something to the effect of, “Next time we don’t have to test ride it.” I haven’t been back to that store since.

At the LBS I use, the bike comes back exactly as I left it, minus its issues, whatever they were, plus it's cleaner. They know I don't take it anywhere else.

blazin 05-24-20 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 21494459)
At the LBS I use, the bike comes back exactly as I left it, minus its issues, whatever they were, plus it's cleaner. They know I don't take it anywhere else.

If I could find a shop like that, I’d never go anywhere else either!

UsedToBeFaster 05-24-20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by blazin (Post 21494496)
If I could find a shop like that, I’d never go anywhere else either!

it suddenly seems to be the case that some areas of blessed with wonderful bike shops and others are cursed!

Kabuki12 05-26-20 07:23 AM

My LBS marks with tape. I don't go often as I enjoy doing the work myself and have most of the tools I need. There are a few times that I just don't have the time and I take it in to a shop that has been around since the seventies and is familiar with my old steel racers. I always get a good job out of them and my bike is always road ready when I pick it up. The only time I can remember a hiccup is when I took my Raleigh Comp GS rear wheel in to have the drive side spokes replaced after a derailleur failed and allowed my chain to mangle the spokes. When I picked up the wheel it didn't have rim tape put back on . When I asked them the guy apologized and went over to the work station where he had my cloth Velox tape rolled up and asked if I wanted him to put it back on for me. He was busy that day and I said thank you , no , I can handle the task and thanked him again for keeping track of things . I was not really concerned that much , but they know how I am about my vintage bikes and are very good about this kind of thing. The wheel was true and that was my main concern, Joe

Psimet2001 05-26-20 10:18 AM

As a shop I will mark any post before I move it and will move it back afterwards. I usually only move it if I have to. There are occasions where it slips my mind to move it back. No ill will intended - just a lot of other things to be focused on. I usually remember before it leaves though...

Don't condemn a shop if they forgot to move it back. Ask them about it.

For yourself - if your position is tweaked and was hard to get to then document it so you have it for your own records.

noodle soup 05-26-20 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Psimet2001 (Post 21497937)

Don't condemn a shop if they forgot to move it back. Ask them about it.

For yourself - if your position is tweaked and was hard to get to then document it so you have it for your own records.

Right now most shops are crazy busy with service work, and mechanics are constantly getting distracted by people that need help with purchases.

CliffordK 05-26-20 10:37 AM

Is this for test rides, perhaps with tall cyclists and short mechanics?

How many actually need test rides?

noodle soup 05-26-20 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 21497971)
Is this for test rides, perhaps with tall cyclists and short mechanics?

Most likely it's put the bike on the workstand.

kraftwerk 06-06-20 09:08 AM

THIS:

"Most likely it's put the bike on the work stand."

CAT7RDR 06-06-20 10:20 AM

If I ask the shop mechanic to test ride a drive train issue and the saddle post has been moved, I consider it a sign of a good shop interested in what I have to say on problem solving issues. I already know what my proper saddle height is and can reset accordingly.

Tacoenthusiast 06-06-20 10:26 AM

Drive back across town and demand that they put it back!!!

Or just put it back yourself, adjusting seat height is pretty simple

Not worth making a huge fuss and spend an hour of your life on something you can fix in 5 minutes max

​​​​​​