Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Introductions (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Older Newbie (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1165098)

CapCrunch 01-27-19 12:34 PM

Older Newbie

I'm an older guy who rediscovered the joy of biking after retiring a number of years ago. I suspect there are others out there who share a similar history. In my case, I used to ride a lot when I was younger, but then the career, family and life in general intervened and I became too absorbed in other things to find time to get on a bike (sad). Fast forward to more recent history.

Several years back, I joined a local bike club of seniors who ride twice a week, mostly on dedicated bike trails and some some off-road tracks. Most of the riders are in their 70's and 80's with two who are in their 90's! Being in my late 60's, I'm the whippersnapper of the group and was fortunate to be accepted given my relative youthfulness.

My primary bike is a 2014 Novara/Safari (the baby-poop brown model). I got rid of the trekking handlebars and replaced them with semi-straight bars that favor my more upright riding position. I also have a road bike that is on loan to my son-in-law but is available on demand for longer routes where I need to keep up with others.

Most of my recent biking is in Southern California but I am looking forward to incorporating more bike trips into my travels and doing some touring. In that regard, I love to read about the exploits of others, both here and on CGOAB.

Thanks for viewing,,
Tim

LAJ 01-27-19 04:07 PM

Welcome to Bike Forums, tsneely!

cb400bill 01-27-19 04:09 PM

Welcome!

Siu Blue Wind 01-27-19 04:59 PM

Hello and welcome! There are a lot of us who have started cycling again in our older years. Jobs, kids and family have kept us from that. It's good to see retired folks getting back into it.

CapCrunch 01-28-19 03:06 PM

Thanks for the welcomes ! LAJ, your signature quote reminded me of something I should have included in my introduction .

It's never about getting comfortable. It's about getting capable.

About four years ago, I was working on the deck of a boat in a shipyard when I fell from a height of 8' and landed flat on my back on the pavement shattering a vertebra. Since then, I've regained a remarkable amount of capability and even comfort, but as I previously mentioned, I now ride in a fairly upright position.. The shipyard guys nicknamed me Cap'nCrunch which would have been my user name but it was already taken. I'll still use it as my avatar though.

BillyD 01-29-19 12:22 PM

Glad you're recovered from your injuries and returned to cycling. Welcome to Bike Forums!

Dannihilator 01-31-19 04:54 PM

Welcome to the forums

bobwysiwyg 01-31-19 06:10 PM

Welcome.
I had to chuckle at your reference to Capt'n Crunch and glad it turned out as well as it did to allow you to see humor in it. :thumb:

Wildwood 02-01-19 11:32 AM

When going into the Navy back in 1969,my friends used to kid me:

Hey whadda you doin man?
You gonna be a Capt Crunch?
Naw, he’s just gonna be a Seadog.

got 1 minute for a 1965 flashback???

Seadog stuck as a nickname, tho it evolved to C.Dogge.

CapCrunch 02-10-19 10:26 PM

Many thanks to BillyD and Bobwysiwyg for your kind words about my accident. I am indeed fortunate to be able to find humor in my own situation when there are so many others who have suffered so much more. My self-deprecation is not meant to imply that I don't take it seriously. I have read the entire thread about the plight of Rowan from Tasmania and the stories submitted by other readers concerning their accidents. I couldn't get through it without becoming emotional and my heart goes out to all of them.

Wildwood, thank you so much for taking the time to post the Cap'n Crunch commercial. Hearing the voice of Jim Backus conjured up images of Gilligan's Island and Mr. Magoo. In 1969, I think I would have preferred to be known as a Seadog, even if it evolved to C. Doggie. I'm glad to be your shipmate!

sjt 02-17-19 01:55 PM

Welcome. I'll probably be typing those same words in about 30 years - I'm currently in the middle of that "life" thing but look forward to the free time when that time comes!

pelagitis 03-07-19 10:01 AM

I am very happy to read these stories and wish I could courage Mr. and Mrs. Senior at home to go for cycling together.