Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Raam (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1148015)

Biker395 06-27-18 08:40 AM

Raam

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9735c4edc4.jpg

Well, we finished the Race Across America. We didn't break any record or even place first in our geezer division, but we sure had fun doing it. I won't forget this one for a long while.

What an experience! The only real negative is due to the fact that it is a race, not a tour ... and you can't stop and smell the flowers (and the saloons) along the way.

We rode though dust storms in near the Imperial Dunes in Southern California.
We rode on super crappy pavement and into headwinds near Hope Arizona.
We rode over the Rockies ... unfortunately, most of it during the night.
We rode through La Veta Colorado ... one of the few places we had time to explore and met some truly wonderful folks.
We rode through the Dust Bowl ... and through one of the most intense thunderstorms I've ever experienced.
We rode through the Ozarks (beautiful), and across the Mississippi, and through the farmlands of the Midwest.
We rode through Hoosier country (REFUND!?! REFUND!?!) and through the beautiful hills of West Virginia.
We rode though farm country and Gettysburg, and finally to Annapolis Maryland to the finish.

I love taking pictures, but on this trip, there wasn't the time or opportunity to take that many or to even chat up many of the people along the way.

The most impressive part about the race? How many of those who attempted and/or finished it did so with some kind of disability or to raise money for a worthy cause. The awards ceremony had me near tears, and no, I am not kidding. We are all VERY fortunate to be able to be healthy enough to do what we do, and would be wise not to forget that.

I'll post up some pix when they roll in. Suffice it to say that the RAAM was a once in the lifetime experience, and I'm grateful I was able to do it. :love:

kingston 06-27-18 08:56 AM

Congratulations. I've always been curious about RAAM bikes. Do people just ride race bikes with clip on aero bars or is there more to it than that?

John E 06-27-18 11:15 AM

Thank you for posting! I have never ridden RAAM myself, and probably never will, but it is my favorite athletic event, and I am fortunate to count "Plutonium" Pete Penseyres among my friends and role models.

berner 06-27-18 11:16 AM

I've been fortunate enough to have had my 'once in a lifetime experience'. I'm happy you were able to experience yours and live to tell the tale.

JanMM 06-27-18 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by kingston (Post 20415195)
Congratulations. I've always been curious about RAAM bikes. Do people just ride race bikes with clip on aero bars or is there more to it than that?

More than a few recumbent bikes have done RAAM. A team on RANS long wheelbase 'bents did very well in 2009.
https://rbr.info/team-rans-finishes-first-in-raam/

JanMM 06-27-18 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 20415172)

Well, we finished the Race Across America. We didn't break any record or even place first in our geezer division, but we sure had fun doing it. I won't forget this one for a long while.

What an experience! The only real negative is due to the fact that it is a race, not a tour ... and you can't stop and smell the flowers (and the saloons) along the way.

We rode though dust storms in near the Imperial Dunes in Southern California.
We rode on super crappy pavement and into headwinds near Hope Arizona.
We rode over the Rockies ... unfortunately, most of it during the night.
We rode through La Veta Colorado ... one of the few places we had time to explore and met some truly wonderful folks.
We rode through the Dust Bowl ... and through one of the most intense thunderstorms I've ever experienced.
We rode through the Ozarks (beautiful), and across the Mississippi, and through the farmlands of the Midwest.
We rode through Hoosier country (REFUND!?! REFUND!?!) and through the beautiful hills of West Virginia.
We rode though farm country and Gettysburg, and finally to Annapolis Maryland to the finish.

I love taking pictures, but on this trip, there wasn't the time or opportunity to take that many or to even chat up many of the people along the way.

The most impressive part about the race? How many of those who attempted and/or finished it did so with some kind of disability or to raise money for a worthy cause. The awards ceremony had me near tears, and no, I am not kidding. We are all VERY fortunate to be able to be healthy enough to do what we do, and would be wise not to forget that.

I'll post up some pix when they roll in. Suffice it to say that the RAAM was a once in the lifetime experience, and I'm grateful I was able to do it. :love:

Well done!

kingston 06-27-18 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 20415545)
More than a few recumbent bikes have done RAAM

and a velomobile won the trans am this year.

Longfellow02 06-27-18 12:09 PM

Congratulations on this accomplishment !!! It does sound life changing !!!

canklecat 06-27-18 02:10 PM

Fantastic! I just watched a documentary about a team participating in the RAAM. Seems like it's as tough mentally as physically.

For photos I'd be tempted to mount a video camera with single shot or time lapse mode to conserve the battery and snap a record along the way.

That Team RANS bike looks more like something I'd enjoy. While I'm recovering from a shoulder injury (I was clobbered by a car in May, grade 4 separation and break) a friend loaned me his Trek R200 recumbent to try whenever my shoulder had healed enough to hold a bar but wanted to avoid any pressure. So I tried it Sunday.

That. Was. Terrifying.

The combination of a short wheelbase and pedals ahead of the front wheel made handling impossibly twitchy. And there was no way to brake safely at any speed faster than 10 mph. The entire handlebar and stem assembly would pivot forward. My butt would slide forward off the seat. The only way to brace myself was with my feet against the pedals, but I needed to lower my feet as I slowed to stop.

I tried it only for awhile in our parking lot, which is slightly sloped so I could do the Fred Flintstone foot paddle rolling start. But after several tries I gave up. And my shoulder hurt worse than ever, mostly from the tension. I suppose one gets accustomed to it. Many owners have described the Trek R200 as a relaxed riding bike. But I'll never try that particular recumbent again. I might try one with a longer wheelbase, wheel ahead of the feet and foot-forward design. Eventually I suspect my old neck injury will force me onto a recumbent. But not the R200.

However trying the R200 did have one side benefit. It motivated me to finish overhauling my comfort hybrid so I'd have a soft riding bike for my first few rides as the shoulder injury recovers.

bruce19 06-27-18 02:31 PM

Impressive.Nice job. A lifetime of great memories. Again, good show.

SparkyBeacon 06-27-18 02:50 PM

As a Hoosier I was scratching my head over this:

We rode through Hoosier country (REFUND!?! REFUND!?!)

Why does he want a refund for riding in Indiana? Boring scenery? Should I be offended?

But then it clicked and I am even embarrassed that it took me a minute. I probably watch the movie "Breaking Away" about twice a year.

George 06-27-18 04:15 PM

Congratulations Vic on great ride. I bet it’ll be one to remember for a long time. Thanks John, I guess I should post more.

raceboy 06-27-18 10:16 PM

Congrats! Great job. Especially after the skiing injury to your leg.

OldTryGuy 06-28-18 12:26 AM

AWESOME :thumb: :thumb: accomplishment !!! You have joined a very Elite group of cyclists.

BlazingPedals 06-28-18 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 20415916)
... a friend loaned me his Trek R200 ...

That. Was. Terrifying...

I feel for ya. I was never very impressed with the R200, although your first experience with it was worse than most. Your problems sound like a lack of sufficient guidance along with some mis-adjustments. Long wheelbases generally have lower seats and sit more upright, both of which make learning easier. That's probably why TourEasys have always been so popular.

OldsCOOL 06-28-18 10:17 AM

Congratulations on your finishing. What a trip. That is a dream ride of mine. Epic.

big john 06-28-18 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by George (Post 20416132)
Congratulations Lenny on great ride. I bet it’ll be one to remember for a long time.

He's Vic. Good job,Vic, Tiger,Steve, and the other guy.

scott967 06-29-18 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by SparkyBeacon (Post 20415990)
As a Hoosier I was scratching my head over this:

Why does he want a refund for riding in Indiana? Boring scenery? Should I be offended?

But then it clicked and I am even embarrassed that it took me a minute. I probably watch the movie "Breaking Away" about twice a year.

Thanks for that. I felt the need (for some reason)

Refund? Refund? Are you crazy! Refund? Refund? Refund?

You're not a cutter. I'm a cutter.

scott s.

DGlenday 06-30-18 01:08 AM

Congratulations! I'm a long time RAAM fan, and have several friends who have done RAAM and RAW.

I would consider doing it as part of a team, but not solo. The biggest hurdle seems to be the cost and the logistics.

Perhaps one day. Meantime I'll stick to the WUCA races.

sevenmag 06-30-18 06:28 AM

Congratulations. Sounds like a fantastic experience. Stories I'm sure you'll never grow tired of telling.

Oldguyonoldbike 06-30-18 04:31 PM

Congratulations on a wonderful accomplishment!

CrankyFranky 06-30-18 04:54 PM

My hat's off to you! First, your epic tour - and now this! This alone is a good justification for retirement!

jppe 07-01-18 05:33 PM

Awesome Vic!!!

One of my cycling friends has been a part of Seana Hogan’s crew for a few years. I followed her with the live tracking the last day as she was in first place for her age group. But the lady in second place was only 12-15 miles behind her. Seana went on to finish first and also broke her age group record for finishing time.

i saw some of last year’s riders climbing Wolf Creek Pass as I had just finished Bike Tour Colorado. I climbed Wolf Creek from both sides last year.

Kudos to you and your teammates and crew. I can’t imagine all the logistics......like following the correct route!!

i recently saw the documentary that followed a two man team. I just can’t imagine riding like that on limited rest.....

Biker395 07-02-18 09:40 AM

OK, so here is one memory.

We had pretty good weather throughout the ride until we emerged from the Rockies and got into the Great Plains. The area we were riding through was skirting the Dust Bowl, and boy could you tell. There were few farmhouses or anything in the area whatsoever.

We were doing 2-person teams doing 30 minute pulls for 4 hours, then resting/sleeping for 4 hours while the other 2 person team were out riding. We had made it to just outside Kim, Colorado, and the RV was waiting for the riders to get to our position. They had a pretty good tailwind and were coming fast.

We had seen the weather reports and knew that the wind would change and that thunderstorms and even possibly tornadoes were in the offing. I wanted to get moving, but all we could do was wait.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eca5265362.jpg

Finally, Teresa and Steve made it to our position, and it was time to get on the bike. The wind had turned to more of a headwindy crosswind by that time, and we were getting little drops of rain by then, but it wasn't a problem. But as we took our turns and it got darker, we could see a lot of lightning flashing in the clouds around us.

The sun had set and I was out riding in front of the follow van. Frankly, I was concerned. The lightning had intensified to the point where the flashing was more or less constant, and to my right maybe a few miles. I know that riding out in lightning storms is dangerous, even when the lightning appears to be far away, so I kept looking over my right shoulder to see if it was getting any closer. The lightning appeared to be going from cloud-to-cloud instead of hitting the ground, but if it started striking the ground, I was going to hop into the van.

And of course, it did exactly that. I heard a honk behind me. Apparently, the follow van saw that too and decided it was best to pull me in. Frankly, I was grateful ... I really wasn't comfortable riding out there in an electric storm.

We radioed ahead to the other van to tell them we were waiting it out, and they drove back to our position. We also got a radio transmission from the RV ... ahead a few miles. They told us they had just gone through a storm with marble-sized hail.

And what a light show. The flashing was so consistent, you could not miss getting a picture of it. It was intense and consistent, and yes, it was striking the ground. All we could do was wait for it to pass.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2dd6798dec.jpg

The First Lightning Storm

Finally, it appeared to move on and it was time to get back on the bike. Outside, it was windy, a little drizzly, and there was a charge in the air. I really didn't want to go out, but it appeared to be reasonably safe. The other van passed ahead of us and headed to the next point where we would switch ... a town called Pritchart, CO. I saw the van make a long right turn and head toward the town.

The flashing on our right had moved on, but there was now a lot of lightning activity in front of us. The sky was utterly black, and except for the frequent lightning strikes, you could see nothing at all except the road directly in front of you. Off in the distance, there was a black cloud with lightning flashing behind it. As I approached the town, there were four hulking grain silos ... invisible between flashes, but their sinister shadows appearing against the lightning with each flash. There was also a single lit window at the top of each grain silo. Pedaling toward them and the lightning in the gathering storm had a definite nightmarish quality to it.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cb8a50718c.jpg

I got to the town and we made the transition. Steve then took over for his 30 minute pull. I noticed there was now a lightning cell on our left. Again, it appeared to be some distance away, and the lightning didn't appear to be reaching the ground. But as the 30 minutes went on, the lightning came closer and closer, and I could see ground strikes.

Now it was my turn again. OMG, I did not want to go out on that bike. I resolved that if lightning came at all close, I was going to take refuge in the van.

I pushed off and started riding, all the while looking at the lightning on my left. It appeared to be getting closer and closer until I could see it strike the ground 1-2 miles away.

Then, the wind changed direction by 90 degrees. That was it for me. I pulled over and told the support crew that I was getting off the bike. Too dangerous.

They agreed. We put the bike on the van and hulked down to wait it out. We got a few drops, then a lot of drops, then hail. Then the hail got intense. Lightning was flashing all around us and it was hard to see. Mindful of the fact that they had marble sized hail earlier in the evening, we decided to head for shelter. That wasn't easy as the rain was so intense, it was hard to tell the road from the prairie.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d11f3ec752.jpg

Heading for cover

We got to nearby Springfield and took cover under and awning of a gas station. It had been closed, but they reopened for the cars on the highway taking refuge from the hail. It was a good 40 minutes until the storm passed over, and by then, our 4 hour pull time was up and it was time for Steve and Teresa to take over. It was wet, but the lightning had passed and was now heading away from us into the distance. So they got their rain gear on and headed out into the dark ....

JanMM 07-02-18 12:49 PM

^^^^^^^
Yikes!