Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Thoughts on the current crop of pedals, best choices for sprinting? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1171169)

Super D 04-22-19 01:25 PM

Thoughts on the current crop of pedals, best choices for sprinting?

I've been running Speedplay Zeros on all of my bikes for years, now considering a pedal/strap setup for sprint practice and events (after hearing about friends crashing out from clipping out).

Is there a secure way to combine the Speedplays with straps?

If not, which pedals do you recommend for using with straps, what is best and why? And which method do you prefer to secure your straps?

Thank you. :)

gycho77 04-22-19 02:38 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d6e496a62.jpeg

Originally Posted by Super D (Post 20895704)
I've been running Speedplay Zeros on all of my bikes for years, now considering a pedal/strap setup for sprint practice and events (after hearing about friends crashing out from clipping out).

Is there a secure way to combine the Speedplays with straps?

If not, which pedals do you recommend for using with straps, what is best and why? And which method do you prefer to secure your straps?

Thank you. :)

You can buy speedplay strap adapter from a facebook group called “tracksprinting”, but I don’t think a lot of track sprinter uses speedplay. I know HUUB team uses speedplay for aerodynamic benefits, but they use Look Blade for training

topflightpro 04-22-19 03:11 PM

I have Speedplay track pedals and have used BLS spindle straps. The straps are fine, though I don’t use them much. They are kind of a hassle. To keep them in place, I used larger rare earth magnets, held to the straps with Gorilla tape.

Super D 04-22-19 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by gycho77 (Post 20895820)
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d6e496a62.jpeg

You can buy speedplay strap adapter from a facebook group called “tracksprinting”, but I don’t think a lot of track sprinter uses speedplay. I know HUUB team uses speedplay for aerodynamic benefits, but they use Look Blade for training

Thank you!! :)

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...269aa13917.jpg

ToddTheBod 04-22-19 07:54 PM

Although not everything the pros do is something that should be copied or repeated by us mere mortals, the large majority of elite sprinters use Shimano SPD-SL or Look Keo pedals/cleats. Plenty of elite enduros and pursuiters use Speedplays, though.

Having myself pulled out of Keos whilst using straps (worn cleat) on a start, I think it might be worth considering a separate pedal/cleat system for the track, even if you still like to ride Speedplays on the road.

Super D 04-22-19 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by ToddTheBod (Post 20896290)
Although not everything the pros do is something that should be copied or repeated by us mere mortals, the large majority of elite sprinters use Shimano SPD-SL or Look Keo pedals/cleats. Plenty of elite enduros and pursuiters use Speedplays, though.

Having myself pulled out of Keos whilst using straps (worn cleat) on a start, I think it might be worth considering a separate pedal/cleat system for the track, even if you still like to ride Speedplays on the road.

I've never pulled out of a Speedplay in road sprinting, not on track so far either; not that it couldn't happen of course. Good idea to have minimally worn cleats if possible for track sprints. I think for me just having the straps as strong backup is smart no matter what the pedal is. I feel kind of stupid not using them when very experienced trackies pull out of their pedals and crash, some getting seriously injured. Why not have an extra measure of safety, right?

Super D 04-22-19 11:18 PM

Anyone have a preference of BLS straps compared to G-Race?

Baby Puke 04-23-19 03:54 AM

NJS straps seem to be making a minor comeback in the pro ranks. I think a couple of the Dutch sprinters are on them.

topflightpro 04-23-19 05:14 AM

I've not been terribly impressed with my BLS straps. The quality doesn't seem great - they are showing a lot of wear after one season. The material also is incredibly soft, so they don't sit up on their own well, meaning I have to completely unloop them, clip in, then loop the strap and velcro it. It's not just a matter of tightening them. (This is one of the main reasons I kind of stopped using them.)

Can't speak to G-Race.

Also, I'm currently out of town, but if you want to see picks of my magnet set up, I'll get some this weekend. It's a cheaper solution than the Cruz option, and it doesn't require tools to remove, so if you aren't running straps, you still have both sides of the pedal.

carleton 04-23-19 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ToddTheBod (Post 20896290)

I've only known 1 elite sprinter to use Speedplay pedals...ever. Most use SPD-SL. A much smaller number (like Matt Baranoski) use LOOK KEO MAX 2 (spring, not blade) with straps. I think the French team uses LOOK pedals, with straps.

LOOK KEO (spring and blade) max release tension is maybe half of what you can dial in on SPD-SL. I can pull up (good pedal form) and out of LOOK pedals. If you are strong and use them, use straps.

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 20896635)
NJS straps seem to be making a minor comeback in the pro ranks. I think a couple of the Dutch sprinters are on them.

NJS straps are the best engineered product for the job. The clasp is a modern marvel. The fact that they stay open as you try to get into them on the boards is awesome. NJS straps don't stretch or disintegrate. BLS (and the like) aren't "more aero". That's just marketing.

Super D 04-28-19 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 20897271)
NJS straps are the best engineered product for the job. The clasp is a modern marvel. The fact that they stay open as you try to get into them on the boards is awesome. NJS straps don't stretch or disintegrate. BLS (and the like) aren't "more aero". That's just marketing.

I see several NJS options, got a pic of what you're referring to? Thank you.

carleton 04-29-19 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Super D (Post 20905185)
I see several NJS options, got a pic of what you're referring to? Thank you.

All "NJS" straps are essentially the same. They are certified by the NJS governing body. NJS has very strict rules and therefore all equipment is darn-near identical so that the outcome of the races is 100% about the rider, not who has the most advanced equipment (that's my understanding of it anyway).

The ones that I've used in the past are Toshi and Kashimax.

CXGallery 05-02-19 01:47 AM

Hard to find now a days, but the Shimano Dura Ace SPD-R (7700) pedals are worth their weight in gold for track cycling.

taras0000 05-02-19 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by CXGallery (Post 20910394)
Hard to find now a days, but the Shimano Dura Ace SPD-R (7700) pedals are worth their weight in gold for track cycling.

That's why I have 4 sets of pedals and about 10 sets of cleats. Love those pedals. Looking to make a three hole version of the cleat for new shoes.