Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   All you need is ???? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1205764)

Gigatt21 06-25-20 02:47 PM

All you need is ????

Being new to biking, over my prime and way over my weight target I'm just curious as I read through some of the other threads.....
Besides two legs, a bike and a helmet, what do any of you suggest is the minimum necessities for riding to get into better shape and have fun?
Thanks for your input.

DiabloScott 06-25-20 02:50 PM

Attitude.
Riding around the neighborhood might be better than sitting on the couch, but you need extended miles, long term commitment, and real efforts to see real results.

roadsnakes 06-25-20 03:16 PM

Make sure everything on the bike is adjusted for you.

If you're comfortable on the bike you'll ride more often and farther.I

Water bottle or bottles on bike so you stay hydrated.

Have nice interesting routes (that's Routes , plural), so you don't bored and lose interest.

saddlesniffer 06-25-20 03:28 PM

Before you ride just inhale a monster gator tail of medical grade Colombian marching powder and you will do just fine. Just kidding. Since I just turned 50 I just try to keep things consistent. You will be surprised how quickly you get stronger and can do longer distances. Bike setup also helped me. Once my bike was dialed in it was as if it disappeared when I started to ride or maybe it was the powder kicking in. Who knows.

berner 06-25-20 03:34 PM

When I began cycling I was very poor physical condition so that 200 yards was a struggle. Through determination (stubbornness) I kept at it over weeks and months and the miles began to accumulate on rides from 10, then 20 and 40 miles. On a 40 mile loop I was 20 miles from the house. It occurred to me that a mechanical failure on lightly traveled rural roads could have bad consequences. Gradually I added spare equipment as experience increased.

If you are intending to cross Asia on the old Silk Road, you will want a lot of extra stuff. For a typical day ride, say 40 to 65 miles, a tube patch kit and an extra tube, I usually carry an extra worn folding tire, a quick chain link and a few spare links, and some tools consisting of 3 allen wrenches to fit everthing on the bike, a tiny vicegrip and a screwdriver. For a weekend tour, further from home, a few more tools.

bargeon 06-25-20 03:39 PM

Some odds and ends you'll need sooner or later depending how you ride:
water bottlle, as others mentioned maybe a priority
tire patch kit
floor pump
multi tool
bar bag or under saddle bag to carry tools, snack
tail light
headlight (I seldom use mine, but I do get caught out at dusk occasionally.)
A pleasant voice to announce "On your left"

you don't need all that now. Take some time to get comfortable on the bike. I just rode the neighborhood first year I got mine.then got a car rack and drove out to uncrowded roads. It was years before I bothered with a jersey or padded shorts, though I ride longer now and appreciate them.

good luck and enjoy.

vlad1xxi 06-25-20 07:53 PM

You need proper cycling shorts/tights/jersey/jacket/half finger gloves/full finger gloves and helmet. You need besides floor air pump hand pump or CO2 inflators along with spire tubes if your bike has clincher wheels. You need saddle bag to keep your stuff and cycling computer. If you will like cycling very much probably you will need cycling home trainer as well for workout during winter months but it’s not a top priority for beginner in summer time. Good luck! Enjoy your rides and increase distance gradually.

reverborama 06-25-20 09:08 PM

Pump and a air gauge, a helmet, and a water bottle. I also like to wear eye protection -- regular sunglasses or the cheapest clear safety glasses at Target/Walmart. Grab a bike multi-tool while you're there.

Beyond that just ride. Get the saddle height right and ride some more. When I started up again in my mid 40's I was amazed when I went 4 or 5 miles. I'm in my 60's now and 15 to 20 miles is just a ride after work and before dinner.

Iride01 06-25-20 09:13 PM

Time. You need time to ride. And usually most people only have the time they make. Vary your rides throughout the week. Some hard, some easy. Some long some short. Don't rush to get gizmos unless it will motivate you more to get caught up in the numbers games. No matter what you make of the data they give you it still boils down to....... ride more! Though overtraining is a thing, but that's a later question to answer.

Besides that, take plenty of water with you. When you get to riding two to three or more hours, you might want to consider adding a carbohydrate mix and maybe some electrolytes to your water (salt will do).

CyclingBK 06-25-20 09:35 PM

Yes, padded shorts or underwear is an absolute must. Pretty much right after helmet and possibly as important as water bottle ; )

OldTryGuy 06-26-20 02:57 AM

All of the above plus >>>

C - Cash

CC - Credit Card

CP - Cell Phone

Jim from Boston 06-26-20 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gigatt21 (Post 21553373)
Being new to biking, over my prime and way over my weight target I'm just curios as I read through some of the other threads.....
Besides two legs, a bike and a helmet, what do any of you suggest is the minimum necessities for riding to get into better shape and have fun?
Thanks for your input.

Not to be a Captain Bringdown, but since you consider a helmet, "fun," as usual on such threads, even after 10 replies, no one recommends a rearview mirror. Many subscribers comment that they don't leave home without it.

For us the added security adds to the fun...reflect on that. :innocent:

freeranger 06-26-20 07:27 AM

All of the above, plus-a saddle which works FOR YOU. Noone can tell you which one it might be-there are as many opinions as there are saddles!! The one thing I think most will agree on is that you do not want an overly padded saddle. If overly padded, once you start to sink into it, and the outside edges start to "sink" due to your weight on it, then the middle may become higher than where your sit bones are perched, and will cause pressure where you don't want it! Many threads on saddles here which may be helpful, as well as your LBS.

Gigatt21 06-26-20 01:26 PM

Thank you roadsnakes. I appreciate your input, especially about the routes. Good point!

Gigatt21 06-26-20 01:28 PM

Interesting concept to getting started!

Gigatt21 06-26-20 01:31 PM

Valuable advise. Thanks.
Just curious..... Do you keep all these tools on your bike in a pouch? I've seen a lot of articles about bike theft and locking your bike up. Isn't that true too for the bike bags? Your thoughts.

Gigatt21 06-26-20 01:34 PM

Thanks bargeon. I appreciate the input. All good advise.
Don't know how fast I'll be getting around to the "on your left" comments. Probably will hear it more than say it for a while.

August West 06-26-20 03:31 PM

In addition to a flat kit you also need the knowledge of how to use it. Sooner or later you will flat and sitting on the side of the road trying to figure how to change a bicycle tire is not an ideal learning environment. There are plenty of videos on YouTube detailing the steps. It isn't hard but you need to know what you're doing. I would recommend practicing it at home so when it does happen it is no big deal and you'll be on your way in no time.

Miele Man 06-26-20 05:10 PM

A bicycle co-op can be #1 , a great place to get some things inexpensively and #2 , have someone teach you how to do minor roadside repairs.

I carry a patch kit, a pump and a spare inner tube. If it's really hot or raining I just take the punctured tube off the wheel, check the tire fro sharp debris (a cotton ball works great for that) and put the new tube in. then I patch the old tube at home or wherever I'm spending the night if on an overnight ride. A rearview mirror is quite helpful in traffic. I use a takealook mirror on my sunglasses or a helmet mounted mirror.

Oh, some bike shops host basic repair seminars or might make arrangements to teach you.

Cheers

wsteve464 06-26-20 05:13 PM

GPS cycling computer with heart rate monitor and a subscription to Strava, keeps track of your improvements, miles, heart rate etc and shows you how you are doing compared to others.

billridesbikes 06-26-20 06:03 PM

Just ride.

Look, there are all kinds of stuff you can buy, but don’t use it as an excuse not to get out and ride.
Right now getting out several times a week, even for a few miles, it most important.
Eventually you will discover what you want to bring with you.

JayKay3000 06-27-20 03:04 AM

A bell is an essential. I know they can seem a bit dorky, but if you ever plan to use the multi use paths, while shouting is often required for some. A simple few tings with your bell will alert most pedestrians.

Initially your body will need to get used to cycling. Recommend max 1 hour per day, but most important is to ride and gradually build up distance and keep riding. Keep it fun, ride different routes and set yourself achievable goals. The worst thing you can do is push too hard, obtain an injury that stops you riding for a while. Don't worry about numbers, don't stare at a cycle computer, just ride for the fun of riding even if at times you'll be sweating buckets while wishing you had more lung capacity to breath and asking yourself 'what the heck am I doing this for'.

Remember that cycling is part of a life style - Cycling won't 'magically' make you lose weight. Good diet goes hand in hand with exorcise, but because you'll be cycling more you'll be able to give yourself the odd treat as you'll most likely burn most of it off on your next ride.

Put on your best amount of willpower because there are going to be some days where you are really not going to want to ride, but often if you can push through these mental blocks you'll feel better afterwards.

crtreedude 06-27-20 01:57 PM

Patience. It took years for you to be in the shape you are now, give yourself time to revert. One great thing though, if you will push yourself a bit more each time, you will find yourself jumping in ability.

One other think, weight loss is mostly diet. Learn to eat right or your appetite can soar with your activity.

Gigatt21 06-27-20 06:10 PM

Wise advise August West regarding practicing at home first.

Thanks

Gigatt21 06-27-20 06:20 PM

Thanks JayKay3000. I appreciate the simplicity of your advise.