Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Deformed Tire (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1214561)

royphotog 10-04-20 02:18 PM

Deformed Tire

I was taking a little rest today on my ride and noticed this deformity on my rear tire. When I got home I removed it, checked for any crimping of the tube, didn't find anything, put it back on and the same thing, in the same place on the tire, different placement of the tube in the tire and different placement on the rim. Seams like a soft spot on the tire.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...036a61ce5a.jpg

Bill Kapaun 10-04-20 02:59 PM

What's it look like at the bead seat?

whatbuck 10-04-20 03:18 PM

I had a tire do that before ultimately bursting, thankfully not while I was riding. I was not too thrilled, to say the least...

Iride01 10-04-20 04:37 PM

You sure the tube isn't too big and wrinkled up inside? Otherwise, if the witness line is even all around, then I say you got a bad tire.

If I couldn't return it and it rode well enough, I'd ride it just to hear the comments from other riders that get mesmerized by it when they follow.

Might be those chroniton particles getting out of phase. <grin>

sovende 10-04-20 07:30 PM

Ya, that's a defective tire :eek:. I had one that looked similar. I had in my spare parts storage area for a while and had no idea if I had kept the sales receipt, so I couldn't return it. I ended up pitching it as it didn't roll well and I didn't want to risk a blowout while riding.

Gresp15C 10-04-20 09:39 PM

I had something similar happen on a cheap Cheng Shin 27x1-1/4. Upon looking inside the tire, I could see the threads coming apart.

10 Wheels 10-04-20 09:47 PM

I buy cheap tires on sale. Only had One Bad one.

cyccommute 10-04-20 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by royphotog (Post 21727862)
I was taking a little rest today on my ride and noticed this deformity on my rear tire. When I got home I removed it, checked for any crimping of the tube, didn't find anything, put it back on and the same thing, in the same place on the tire, different placement of the tube in the tire and different placement on the rim. Seams like a soft spot on the tire.

You’ve got broken cords in the material that makes up the casing. The casing is just a fabric that has 40 to 250 threads per inch. I’ve had this happen before and, after cutting it apart, I found a couple of broken threads. The distortion is greater on the 40 to 60 TPI tires than on the high thread count tires.

royphotog 10-04-20 11:02 PM

Thanks for the replies, it's a 27x 1 1/4 tire, sounds like it's time for a new one. It's a cheap tire I bought off Amazon last year to get my old Centurian back on the road, two tires, two tubes, and two rim strips for $47. I had just taken it off one rim and put it on a new rim I had bought, I wonder if I could have done some harm with the tire levers, they are bike levers, plastic.

cyccommute 10-04-20 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by royphotog (Post 21728553)
Thanks for the replies, it's a 27x 1 1/4 tire, sounds like it's time for a new one. It's a cheap tire I bought off Amazon last year to get my old Centurian back on the road, two tires, two tubes, and two rim strips for $47. I had just taken it off one rim and put it on a new rim I had bought, I wonder if I could have done some harm with the tire levers, they are bike levers, plastic.

I don’t think it has anything to do with installation. Mine...I’ve only had it happen once...was spontaneous. It just happens.

Amt0571 10-05-20 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by royphotog (Post 21727862)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...036a61ce5a.jpg

That tire is damaged for sure. Replace it.

Underneath the rubber there are wires that hold the tire together, and, in this case some of them are broken.

If you don't replace it, it'll probably end up blowing up.

hokiefyd 10-05-20 06:13 AM

It looks like a Kenda K40 27" tire. These don't have great reviews, but I've had a set or two before and had decent luck with them. They are definitely comfortable tires, what with the relatively thick tread down the center section. I'd probably roll a die with another tire and see how it works out.

ClydeClydeson 10-05-20 06:56 AM

THe one piece of evidence that tells you your tire is damaged and needs replacing is if the tire has wobbles or bulges when inflated. THis is a sign that the casing under th tread is somehow damaged - possibly from a cut, or maybe a couple cords got old and were brittle. Either way, that tire is done. Replace ASAP.

cyccommute 10-05-20 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Amt0571 (Post 21728616)
That tire is damaged for sure. Replace it.

Underneath the rubber there are wires that hold the tire together, and, in this case some of them are broken.

If you don't replace it, it'll probably end up blowing up.

There aren’t wires under the rubber. It just cotton or nylon thread. Some tires have wire beads but that almost never breaks and it wouldn’t result in the S-shape that royphotog is seeing.

dedhed 10-05-20 11:03 AM

Even at my level of cheapness that is toss and replace.

79pmooney 10-05-20 12:10 PM

That can be repaired successfully - with sailcloth and contractor's contact cement. Real Dacron sailcloth as used for small sailboats (ask a sailmaker for a scrap) not the Joann's Fabrics "sailcloth". The glue to laminate countertops and the like.

I go this route to revive high quality tires (Vittoria Corsas and the like) with cuts to the cord. I've ridden tours on 3/4" cuts with that repair, no issues at all. Just retired a tire with no thread left that I repaired as a new tire several years ago. Sailcolth was nearly like new except it was not the cord that was showing through the tread!.

Not saying that is worthwhile here. Just pointing out this cord failure could be repaired,

MNebiker 10-05-20 01:00 PM

I am always amazed at the "Is it safe?" posts.

Change it.

No matter the brand, any tire is cheaper than sutures, casts, slings, crutches, and ER charges. Even a simple fall with no serious damage can make you hurt for several days.

royphotog 10-05-20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by hokiefyd (Post 21728731)
It looks like a Kenda K40 27" tire. These don't have great reviews, but I've had a set or two before and had decent luck with them. They are definitely comfortable tires, what with the relatively thick tread down the center section. I'd probably roll a die with another tire and see how it works out.

You are correct, it is a Kenda 27" and it was a comfortable tire to ride.

royphotog 10-05-20 07:14 PM

Tire replaced, and here is a look at the inside of the tire and the threads that are torn.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0022ab89a0.jpg

cyccommute 10-05-20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by royphotog (Post 21730142)
Tire replaced, and here is a look at the inside of the tire and the threads that are torn.

Pretty much the way mine looked. I’m not sure how it happens but it does. 40 TPI tire, by the way.

royphotog 10-05-20 07:55 PM

That would be threads per inch? Is that average?

cyccommute 10-05-20 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by royphotog (Post 21730194)
That would be threads per inch? Is that average?

Yes. Threads per inch. On the second question, are you asking if that’s 40 TPI average for the tire or if that is an “average” tire? If it’s the former, yes, it’s 40 TPI on average. If it’s the latter, a 40 TPI is an inexpensive tire. I’d say that an “average” tire starts at 60 TPI. A 40 TPI tire rides kind of harsh but is cheap to make and buy. More threads make for a more supple ride.

hokiefyd 10-06-20 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by royphotog (Post 21730142)

Thank you for posting a follow-up on this. We sometimes see a picture of the problem, several suggestions, and then radio silence. It's nice to have photos of the problem and the direct cause right in the same thread.

Eric S. 10-06-20 11:48 AM

I've had that happen on a few tires. I call it The Dreaded S-bulge. One time it happened at mile 80 of a century. I made it to the finish and the tread was starting to wear badly - could have blown at any time!

royphotog 10-06-20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 21730276)
Yes. Threads per inch. On the second question, are you asking if that’s 40 TPI average for the tire or if that is an “average” tire? If it’s the former, yes, it’s 40 TPI on average. If it’s the latter, a 40 TPI is an inexpensive tire. I’d say that an “average” tire starts at 60 TPI. A 40 TPI tire rides kind of harsh but is cheap to make and buy. More threads make for a more supple ride.

It was to tires in general. In looking at tires for sale I don't see that spec in the descriptions.