Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Colorado Cyclist for hand built wheelset? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1080883)

HazeT 09-17-16 09:20 PM

Colorado Cyclist for hand built wheelset?

I'm looking for a new wheelset and of course price comes into play. Colorado Cyclist have a 10% off their wheelsets that make them very attractive. Does anyone here have experience with them?
Here's the example:

HED Belgium C2 laced to CK45 hubs:
wheelbuilder: $1075
November: $1025
Colorado: $847 :love:

Now I've always heard great things about november, but I don't think I've ever heard much from Colorado Cyclist hand built wheels.

garciawork 09-17-16 09:23 PM

I have a set of DT350's laced to Stan's Flow MK3 rims, and the wheels have been awesome so far, no complaints.

rpenmanparker 09-17-16 11:01 PM

CC goes way back decades, and was likely one of the first of the mail order wheel builders. I have always heard good things about their wheels though I never bought any myself.

HazeT 09-18-16 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 19063478)
CC goes way back decades, and was likely one of the first of the mail order wheel builders. I have always heard good things about their wheels though I never bought any myself.

Thanks, now all I've to decide is between a wheelset and a rear wheel only :)

revchuck 09-18-16 05:09 AM

Wheelset, if only for looks. And I'd consider going with the Plus version of those rims. I really like mine.

dagray 09-18-16 10:27 AM

if you are going to spent the $847 on a wheelset why not look at Rolf Prima wheels in the closeout section? I picked up my Vigor RS wheelset from them for $880.0 and they are so nice and stiff.

Oh and I am a super clyde at 360 pounds and these wheels are holding up just fine even when I go over a bump such as a rail road track or a seam at an intersection where there might be up to a 1.5 or two inch change in pavement height.

HazeT 09-18-16 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by dagray (Post 19064239)
if you are going to spent the $847 on a wheelset why not look at Rolf Prima wheels in the closeout section? I picked up my Vigor RS wheelset from them for $880.0 and they are so nice and stiff.

Oh and I am a super clyde at 360 pounds and these wheels are holding up just fine even when I go over a bump such as a rail road track or a seam at an intersection where there might be up to a 1.5 or two inch change in pavement height.

Not looking for carbon at this time :) If I were to go carbon, I have a lust for the ENVE SES 4.5....

Steve B. 09-18-16 01:32 PM

Yes they are good wheel builders. I've had a few wheels built by them over the years, all held up well.

Slightly less expensive is Bicycle Wheel Warehouse, also with a good reputation on the web, if they have what you want.

dagray 09-18-16 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by HazeT (Post 19064529)
Not looking for carbon at this time :) If I were to go carbon, I have a lust for the ENVE SES 4.5....

The Vigor RS wheels are alloy not carbon. Rolf Prima makes both alloy (metal) and carbon wheels..... I am not light enough to ride carbon wheels.

berner 09-18-16 02:32 PM

I haven't seen a single word here about how much weight a wheel set is recommended for. Should not wheel capacity be an important part of the discussion.

bbattle 09-18-16 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by berner (Post 19064729)
I haven't seen a single word here about how much weight a wheel set is recommended for. Should not wheel capacity be an important part of the discussion.

Absolutely. Hopefully, Clydes know to check spoke count and avoid wheels only suitable for anorexic crackheads. :)

The rest of us should be more concerned with reliability of a wheelset than its weight but that's beating a dead horse.

DOS 09-18-16 06:18 PM

I like colorado cyclist, as well as Excel sports and Prowheelbuilder. I have gooten good wheels and service from all. But then most recentky I bought a set a wheels from Sugar Wheel Works in Oregon. They will be my go to builder from now on. I paid more than I could have elsewhere but service and qualitynof the build cannot be beat.

RiPHRaPH 09-18-16 07:31 PM

Been using CC for years. Great and capable people who love what they do.

SSRI 09-19-16 07:51 AM

I still have set from early 90s (90 or 91) ultegra 6400 hubs with campy ypsilon rim. They still run true.

scuzzo 09-19-16 04:53 PM

i had a great set of campy record 8sp.. perhaps the best wheel i ever had built.. stupid newb bike chick slammed in to the back of my bike and threw the whole thing out of true.. never was able to get that wheel back into shape.. but.. CC made some of the best hand built wheel sets back then,,