Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   VeloBase.com down or gone? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1185656)

Jeff Wills 08-17-20 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by tricky (Post 21646516)
Seconded (thirded? a millionth'ed?)

Also, I sent a few bucks via Paypal. I encourage everyone to do the same.

Ditto'ed...

cuda2k 08-20-20 04:41 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ea847a77d1.png

Giving the home page a little love tonight, the new and much improved photo upload tool is also just about finished up. (Don't worry, this is still a work in progress, it'll be way cleaner - and Section 4 will be done too)

Hope to have the new updates out on the server by the end of the weekend. Thanks for all who have donated in the last few weeks.

cuda2k 08-20-20 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ascherer (Post 21273113)
(ahem) Coffee blog? Do tell...:twitchy:

my apologies for the super late reply - Coffee Cantata ? Coffee: Music in a cup!

ascherer 08-20-20 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by cuda2k (Post 21651890)
my apologies for the super late reply - Coffee Cantata ? Coffee: Music in a cup!

She has good taste in coffees.

JJScaliger 09-11-20 04:09 PM

When I scroll to the bottom, to the list of subsequent numbered pages or 'next" and click on those, to go to the next page (or whichever page I want to view in that category), nothing happens
Yeah, it's been doing this to me for about a week or two. I've been circumventing (sort of) this problem by searching for the component and velobase in my browser. Not ideal.

Dirt Farmer 09-11-20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by hazetguy (Post 21689368)
Anyone else having issues accessing pages on Velobase?

On the main page, I go to the "By Category" dropdown menu, and I click on any subcategory, front derailleurs for example.
That takes me to the page 1 of front derailleurs.
When I scroll to the bottom, to the list of subsequent numbered pages or 'next" and click on those, to go to the next page (or whichever page I want to view in that category), nothing happens. The page does not load, doesn't even show that the page even tries to load. In the "mouse-over" preview, it shows 'javascript:GetPage(3);' (if I want to look at page 4, for example). This happens in every category.
It also happens if I search for a specific component/group, and there is more than one page of search results.

I did not have this problem before recent Velobase site updates. This problem occurs on my desktop (Chrome, Firefox), iPhone (Safari), iPad (Firefox, Chrome, Safari), all up to date, and no settings have been changed on any of my devices.
I am not logged in to Velobase, never needed to be logged in to search around before, and I do not have an account.
I do not have Velobase "bookmarked" or saved (not accessing Velobase through a bookmark or saved link).

I tried submitting an email through the "Contact Us", but when I hit submit I got a server error message.
I also get a server error message when I click on "FAQ & Help" and "Announcements".

Thoughts? Anyone else?

Same issue here!

dmark 09-11-20 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by hazetguy (Post 21689368)
Anyone else having issues accessing pages on Velobase?

On the main page, I go to the "By Category" dropdown menu, and I click on any subcategory, front derailleurs for example.
That takes me to the page 1 of front derailleurs.
When I scroll to the bottom, to the list of subsequent numbered pages or 'next" and click on those, to go to the next page (or whichever page I want to view in that category), nothing happens. The page does not load, doesn't even show that the page even tries to load. In the "mouse-over" preview, it shows 'javascript:GetPage(3);' (if I want to look at page 4, for example). This happens in every category.
It also happens if I search for a specific component/group, and there is more than one page of search results.

I did not have this problem before recent Velobase site updates. This problem occurs on my desktop (Chrome, Firefox), iPhone (Safari), iPad (Firefox, Chrome, Safari), all up to date, and no settings have been changed on any of my devices.
I am not logged in to Velobase, never needed to be logged in to search around before, and I do not have an account.
I do not have Velobase "bookmarked" or saved (not accessing Velobase through a bookmark or saved link).

I tried submitting an email through the "Contact Us", but when I hit submit I got a server error message.
I also get a server error message when I click on "FAQ & Help" and "Announcements".

Thoughts? Anyone else?

Yes same here.

canklecat 09-11-20 09:21 PM

I've noticed a few click-throughs to the next page occasionally don't work. And occasional security warnings, but that happens with many sites. Seems to be as much a browser issue as a website issue. Overall Velobase has been accessible on my end. I've consulted it a lot the past couple of weeks while I'm building up a couple of frames, trying to figure out which bits of my many mismatched parts might work well together.

CV-6 11-15-20 09:34 AM

Try a PM to cuda2k, who responded earlier in this thread. John is admin for VeloBase. He travels a lot for his new love, photography.

The Golden Boy 11-15-20 09:46 AM

I guess it's a labor of love that just got too big. It's one thing when it's something you put together because you love bike parts and get to help your friends and have your friends help, it's another thing when it's your business to maintain that site and database. I wouldn't refer to Velobase as a "business."

Oldairhead 11-15-20 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by hazetguy (Post 21791184)
Right now, Velobase is frustratingly unusable without having to do a bunch or work-arounds to try to find information.

Those who find the information offered by Velobase useful should consider donating some cash to their effort. There is a link at the bottom of the sidebar to do just that. I know that we are all cheapskates here but if everybody that ever used the site contributed a couple of bucks I'll bet it could be debugged sooner! I'm not suggesting a subscription model, just users who contribute towards the project.

LittleGinseng 11-15-20 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by hazetguy (Post 21791184)
So I am still experiencing the same issuses as laid out above. Is there anyone here who can address this, or anyone know a way to ask whoever "runs" velobase about what's going on? Will this ever be addressed or fixed?
Right now, Velobase is frustratingly unusable without having to do a bunch or work-arounds to try to find information.

If I visit the site as a guest, page tabs don't work for me either. But if I log in under my user name everything works just fine.

no67el 11-15-20 11:12 AM

Thanks for the tips about logging in! I've been puzzled by the page tabs not working for a while now, and have been resorting to the "quick search" function which seems to work fine.

Logging in as a user, and now the page tabs work great.

Also served as a good reminder to me to make my annual donation to this amazing site. What a resource for the hobby, and worth supporting. If we all just donated the price of a cup of coffee and a donut, the site would be in good shape!

N

cuda2k 11-24-20 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by no67el (Post 21791401)
Thanks for the tips about logging in! I've been puzzled by the page tabs not working for a while now, and have been resorting to the "quick search" function which seems to work fine.

Logging in as a user, and now the page tabs work great.

Also served as a good reminder to me to make my annual donation to this amazing site. What a resource for the hobby, and worth supporting. If we all just donated the price of a cup of coffee and a donut, the site would be in good shape!

N

Hey, just finally tracked down that problem and it should have been fixed yesterday. Apologies for it taking so long to get sorted out.

Jeff Wills 11-25-20 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by cuda2k (Post 21804865)
Hey, just finally tracked down that problem and it should have been fixed yesterday. Apologies for it taking so long to get sorted out.

You done good. Take the rest of the week off. :D

cuda2k 11-27-20 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills (Post 21806591)
You done good. Take the rest of the week off. :D

Once I found it, it was a somewhat embarrassingly simple fix to make. :bang:

Jeff Wills 11-27-20 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by cuda2k (Post 21808680)
Once I found it, it was a somewhat embarrassingly simple fix to make. :bang:

Some of the software I deal with at work has "bugs" I recognize from my classes in Visual Basic 4, i.e. 1998. They're inconsequential, so the company has never dealt with them. If it works, don't fix it.