Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Padded Bike Shorts or not (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1157193)

SlinkyWizard 10-04-18 07:53 PM

Padded Bike Shorts or not

Are there any professional riders, who ride long rides, without padded short? Is it possible?

Can you bum "toughen up" so you can ride without them?

Bmach 10-04-18 08:18 PM

Not a pro rider but did a century years ago (40) wearing jean shorts. Back then thats what I would wear when riding.

woodcraft 10-04-18 08:29 PM

Yes, possible. I rode across the US with shorts that had thin chamois leather, but no padding.

Teamprovicycle 10-04-18 09:49 PM

Qality Padded always. Under what ever .

TrojanHorse 10-04-18 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by SlinkyWizard (Post 20600656)
Are there any professional riders, who ride long rides, without padded short? Is it possible?

People ride bikes all the time without padded lycra shorts - it's up to you do decide if it's worth it.

Give it a try!

TrojanHorse 10-04-18 10:30 PM

People ride bikes all the time without padded lycra shorts - it's up to you do decide if it's worth it.

Give it a try!

02Giant 10-05-18 01:09 AM

Deja vu

KraneXL 10-05-18 02:30 AM

You could adapt to living in a cave and foraging for berries, but would you want to? Get the padded shorts.

coffeesnob 10-05-18 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by 02Giant (Post 20600916)
Deja vu

all over again

Bicyclist008 10-05-18 05:59 AM

For me, a pair of padded under-trouser shorts works well. That way, you can wear normal shorts or trousers but still have the necessary padding.

jon c. 10-05-18 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bmach (Post 20600691)
Not a pro rider but did a century years ago (40) wearing jean shorts. Back then thats what I would wear when riding.

Rode many centuries like that in the 70s. Except we weren't specifically thinking of "riding a century." We just went on rides that happened to be 100 miles or so. But I think young skin is tougher. I'm not sure I could do that now. And I wouldn't try. Modern shorts are more comfortable, readily available, and relatively inexpensive. Why not wear them?

Metieval 10-05-18 06:35 AM

It isn't about the pad, it's about the rubbing. and movement.

The faster something rubs the hotter it is going to get. Science! longer rides like 100+ cadence for 5 hours straight?
Or are you talking 60-70 cadence and riding for many hours with a break off the bike every hour? and with coasting (stop pedaling ) for a bunch of that riding?

If you don't chafe on your riding style then no need for shorts, if you start chafing you'll want shorts with a chamois.

Skipjacks 10-05-18 06:37 AM

I don't even own a pair of 'bike shorts'

I've never felt a need for them. My butt feels fine after long rides.

rydabent 10-05-18 09:03 AM

Cyclist that ride recumbents or trikes do not have to buy high priced shorts to protect them from their ride.

livedarklions 10-05-18 09:31 AM

I've ridden 8 solo centuries in the past month wearing cargo shorts with boxer briefs. I've never worn padded pants of any kind and I don't experience any butt discomfort other than the occasional transient heat rash. It's not a function of age, I'm 57.

And I ain't gettin' on one of them recumbent contraptions ever!

crazyravr 10-05-18 09:34 AM

Possible? Yes.
Comfortable? Not a chance in hell.

Anything over 1h and I put on padded shorts cause my arse likes to be comfy.

5teve 10-05-18 09:37 AM

Professional riders? I doubt it. If nothing else, they are obliged to wear their sponsor or team kit. Regular Joes? Some do I'd imagine. I prefer cycling shorts for anything much over 10 miles or so myself.

livedarklions 10-05-18 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by crazyravr (Post 20601456)
Possible? Yes.
Comfortable? Not a chance in hell.

Anything over 1h and I put on padded shorts cause my arse likes to be comfy.

Define comfortable. My butt doesn't hurt or bother me at all doing 2 centuries in a weekend in cargo shorts. I'd call that comfort. Does it get better than that?

Obviously, I'm not a professional rider, though.

KraneXL 10-05-18 09:44 AM

Some of these responses remind me of that guy at the gym that doens't believe real men wear gloves. What he doesn't seem to realize is that his hands look like they've been through a meat grinder and permanently stained in crud. No thanks.

REDMASTA 10-05-18 09:54 AM

i'd ride directly on the seatpost before riding a recumbent

livedarklions 10-05-18 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by KraneXL (Post 20601485)
Some of these responses remind me of that guy at the gym that doens't believe real men wear gloves. What he doesn't seem to realize is that his hands look like they've been through a meat grinder and permanently stained in crud. No thanks.

As usual, you judge other people's needs based on no knowledge whatsoever.
I'm not questioning the manliness of anyone who wears padding, I just haven't had any need for them, but if Krane needs them, everyone else must, right?.

indyfabz 10-05-18 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 20601391)
Cyclist that ride recumbents or trikes do not have to buy high priced shorts to protect them from their ride.

Neither do diamond frame riders, so what's your point?

Slightspeed 10-05-18 10:39 AM

You can ride a bike without proper padded shorts, but why would you want to? Same goes for helmet, shoes and gloves. Would you play hockey in baseball cleats? Different strokes, I guess ...

Rootman 10-05-18 10:42 AM

Yes, after all bikes have been around for 100+ years and I'm sure the first bike race took place 5 minutes after the first 2 guys met each other riding, and pro racing 2 days after that. Padded lycra has not been around that long, I'd hate to guess but probably just a few decades.

Padded shorts are just worth it and I'd think that any pro would want any advantage he could get, so my guess is that every pro probably wears them.

Then there's guys like Shirtless Keith who I'm betting 'don't ware no girly bike shorts'. I know a few long distance riders who don't wear bike shorts, just cargos or jean shorts.

To me they are worth it. I bought 5 pair from Nashbar a few years ago and alternate them. They make a trip a lot ore, well, pleasant and comfortable.

livedarklions 10-05-18 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Metieval (Post 20601111)
It isn't about the pad, it's about the rubbing. and movement.

The faster something rubs the hotter it is going to get. Science! longer rides like 100+ cadence for 5 hours straight?
Or are you talking 60-70 cadence and riding for many hours with a break off the bike every hour? and with coasting (stop pedaling ) for a bunch of that riding?

If you don't chafe on your riding style then no need for shorts, if you start chafing you'll want shorts with a chamois.

I think you're onto something here.

I do the slower cadence/higher gear, but I often don't take a break for the first 3.5 to 4 hours of a century. I have a latex sensitivity, so the lycra/spandex stuff is nothing I want to try.