Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   HRM (Chest Strap) Advice (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175785)

ChrisQP09 06-16-19 05:01 AM

HRM (Chest Strap) Advice

Hi all,

I am not a cyclist but rather a dedicated fitness fanatic! My approach and training style actually incorporates aspects of multiple sports e.g NFL, olympic weightlifting, sprint cycling, rugby etc.

With this said, I now want to further analyse my physiological responses beginning with my heart rate. I will primarily use the HRM with a watt bike to review my performance/work rate during anaerobic sprints (5sec, 10 sec).

I need a HRM that does not require a wristwatch but rather can be a stand alone device or work off an app. It needs to be accurate and provide meaningful data, the more the better! Lastly, price is not a consideration it just needs to be accurate while being informative, ideally with the ability to export data into excel!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated but i understand this is a niche question. Thanks

Last ride 76 06-16-19 05:31 AM

Mine just streams out BPM Bluetooth, it ain't rocket science... Any HRM strap not bought in a dollar store is accurate, and even most of those are accurate until they break.

Meaningful data? Thu-thump, thu-thump, thu-thump. What more do you want from a HRM?

Perhaps you are asking about a system rather than a strap? Find the spec you want. I use sigma and am reasonably happy. It shows my powertap data, gps, hr, on my bar mounted screen, and to my PC when I get home. Excel compatible, though I don't use it.

gregf83 06-16-19 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisQP09 (Post 20981040)
Hi all,

I am not a cyclist but rather a dedicated fitness fanatic! My approach and training style actually incorporates aspects of multiple sports e.g NFL, olympic weightlifting, sprint cycling, rugby etc.

With this said, I now want to further analyse my physiological responses beginning with my heart rate. I will primarily use the HRM with a watt bike to review my performance/work rate during anaerobic sprints (5sec, 10 sec).

Heart rate isn’t going to tell you much about performance during short intervals. The power from your bike will tell you all you need. Nothing wrong with monitoring HR just don’t expect to get any actionable info.

Wahoo makes a decent strap that supports Bluetooth and Ant+. You need an Ant+ strap for some Garmin head units.

VegasTriker 06-16-19 10:05 AM

Check out the Electronics, Lighting, and Gadgets forum https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...hting-gadgets/. It has been discussed at length there.

DanAndrews01 06-16-19 10:47 AM

The Wahoo strap is bulletproof and works fine for me, I've been using the same one for years.

clengman 06-16-19 08:05 PM

I have a sigma rox 10.0 computer. It was pretty cheap, has GPS, and can connect to any ANT+ sensors (HRM, speed, cadence, power.)

jpescatore 06-17-19 04:16 AM

I've used HRM sensors and chest straps from Polar and Wahoo, have now switched to Wahoo - the straps last way longer.

Wahoo now has a arm band version that was on sale for Father's Day and my daughter bought for me. Hasn't arrived yet, but it has gotten good reviews. I'm hoping it means longer strap life (less sweaty) and getting away from the annoying side of chest straps.

bakerjw 06-17-19 05:30 AM

My HRMs have been Garmin ones. Ant+ and seem to work fine for me. Better accuracy, IMHO, than my Garmin VivoActive HR watch.

OBoile 06-17-19 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisQP09 (Post 20981040)
Hi all,

I need a HRM that does not require a wristwatch but rather can be a stand alone device or work off an app. It needs to be accurate and provide meaningful data, the more the better! Lastly, price is not a consideration it just needs to be accurate while being informative, ideally with the ability to export data into excel!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated but i understand this is a niche question. Thanks

I know the high end Wahoo HRM can store something like 16 hours of data for use later, so it would satisfy this requirement.

caloso 06-17-19 08:40 AM

4iiii Viviiiia