Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   faux pas: drinking coffee (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=179915)

ponchotempest 03-09-06 05:50 PM

faux pas: drinking coffee

Is it wrong to drink coffee while riding? I don't normally, but I did get some weird looks doin it today.

It was nice to ride in a t-shirt though.

Riderfan_lee 03-09-06 05:54 PM

I always debated installing a go-mug holder on my handle bars. It would make the commute go by fast and I can have free coffee at the uni rather than buying it. Weekend project?

-=(8)=- 03-09-06 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ponchotempest
Is it wrong to drink coffee while riding? I don't normally, but I did get some weird looks doin it today.

It was nice to ride in a t-shirt though.

Its only weird if you are not using
on of these......

http://michael.ubiqgen.com/wp-images/posts/beerhat.jpg

Drivers get nervous when they see a cyclist riding with only one hand.

cooker 03-09-06 06:13 PM

It's ok if you have a cup holder. I almost smashed into a cyclist running a red light wearing headphones and holding a Starbucks cup in her hand. Don't be that...er...guy.

curt in denver 03-09-06 06:23 PM

I do it everytime I commute, No problem.

caloso 03-09-06 06:27 PM

Are you kidding? It's wrong not to.

Check out this website: http://www.bicyclecoffeesystems.com/

super-douper 03-09-06 06:27 PM

just hang up your cell phone before you take a sip. I think some states have a law that you must keep at least one hand on the handlebars all the time.

Why would somebody look at you wierd? cause you're exercising and drinking coffee? cause it's not a water bottle? Cause it's a little out of the ordinary? Were you wearing pants too or just a t-shirt? sounds like the wierd one isn't you.

spencerdav 03-09-06 07:54 PM

What a great topic! I love the coffee. I tried it once, and almost spilled coffee all over my self, then again I am a very unexperienced coffee drinker.

Marylandnewbie 03-09-06 08:27 PM

I carried a small thermos of coffee throughout the winter in place of one of my water bottles. It made those cold morning seem much more pleasant. Of course don't try drinking when riding across the ice.

Jarery 03-09-06 08:49 PM

If i could find a way to mount my espresso maker to my rear rack, and power it off a light generator, id be in heaven on my commutes :)

Mtn Mike 03-09-06 09:32 PM

Yeah, I do it all the time on my morning commute. I have a thermus mug. I've been meaning to mount a coffee cup holder on my rear basket somehow...

jeff williams 03-09-06 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=-

Drivers get nervous when they see a cyclist riding with only one hand.

One handed? Got a cigarette in the other so I have to ride no-handed.

Kidding.

ken cummings 03-09-06 10:29 PM

Fill the bladder in your back-pack with frozen coffee cubes then pour your Starbucks in on top of it. No one will ever know you are drinking coffee. Those bladders are not designed to take hot coffee, sorry.

jeff williams 03-09-06 10:41 PM

Lexan bottles (well mine says) are o.k for hot liquids.

ponchotempest 03-09-06 10:43 PM

It was a Dunkin Donuts foam cup this time, so I had to go one handed. Although I did stop to sit down at the park for a few minutes to finish before I hit traffic. Not that the one handed thing is a big deal.

Maybe tomorrow I'll move the bottle cage to the seat tube though so I can start bringing a mug with me in the morning.

TrevorInSoCal 03-09-06 11:50 PM

Heh, I find myself drinking coffee while riding somewhat frequently. About half the time I don't manage to finish my pre-ride coffee before the local Saturday and Sunday morning group rides start rolling. Fortunately we start off at a pretty slow pace, so I just finish it while riding and jettison the cup into the nearest trash-can when I'm finished.

Don't drink coffee during the week though. Don't have a coffee-maker (I don't get up early enough to make it before leaving the house, even if I did.), and the coffee at work is swill (I'm spoiled by the local shop that roasts in-house.), so I normally only drink coffee on weekends...

-Trevor

MMACH 5 03-10-06 12:30 AM

I take coffee on every ride. It's the only reason I put on the second cage.
http://home.swbell.net/mcpoop//MMACH.../Cupojoe_T.jpgLarge

Saintly Loser 03-10-06 07:05 AM

I must have coffee in the morning. I bring a small thermos of hot coffee with me. I don't put it in a bottle cage, but rather in the pocket of my jacket. It's very accessible there.

In the summer, I drink cold Manhattan Special soda (you Brooklyn cyclists will know what I'm talking about) when I ride. I'll put that in a water bottle in a cage, since it comes in a glass bottle that won't fit a bottle cage.

DataJunkie 03-10-06 08:45 AM

No coffee here. Can't stand the stuff. The amount of caffeine makes me ill and I swear decaf tastes odd.
However, I have been pondering getting a mini thermos for the bike and filling it with whatever variety of tea I am drinking. Yummy antioxidants and all.

LittleBigMan 03-10-06 08:56 AM

May I?

I drink a cup of coffee in the morning at home when I first get up, then I drink a tall, freshly brewed glass of sweet tea (usually Lipton's, but Twining's Earl Grey for the past couple of mornings) right before I go out the door. The tea is great, especially with brown sugar, but I usually drink it fast, in one or two breaths, so I only get to taste it once--right after it's gone.

I guess that's over-caffeination, though, huh? Maybe I've got a prob...

:eek:

lyledriver 03-10-06 09:10 AM

I generally brew a pot in the morning, drinking one cup before I leave.
I pour the rest in a thermos that I bring along.

I never really drink on the bike though, unless I stop somewhere.

GTcommuter 03-10-06 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
I drink a cup of coffee in the morning at home when I first get up, then I drink a tall, freshly brewed glass of sweet tea (usually Lipton's, but Twining's Earl Grey for the past couple of mornings) right before I go out the door.

LBM, why are you drinking Liptons? Twining's is ok for the Brits, but if you live in Georgia you should be drinking Luzianne. There's no better tea blend for sweet tea, and I drink a lot of sweet tea. :)

DataJunkie 03-10-06 10:59 AM

Green Tea!

atbman 03-10-06 02:47 PM

Doncha just lerve those onehanded emergency stops?

sbhikes 03-10-06 08:42 PM

I ride a trike. I thought it would be nice to drink coffee on my way to work. Sitting in this thing is like sitting in a little cockpit. So I made a coffee cup holder next to my handlebar grip. I brought my bike-to-work coffee card to RoCo (coffeehouse) and got a nice double machiatto. Put the lid on, got in the bike and proceeded down the road toward the railroad tracks where I swear about half the cup splashed through the little hole in the lid and all over me. Good thing I was wearing my stain defender Dockers or it could have been worse.

Tip: bring your own cup.