Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Sekine world's finest bicycle? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=72059)

rymodee 10-25-04 02:26 PM

Sekine world's finest bicycle?

hey i got this really beautiful bike in the garbage of a thrift store, it's callled a sekine and on the tube it proclaims "WORLD FINEST BICYCLE BY SEKINE" and it really is amazing. does anyone know any history or any info. at all? i can't find anything and i worry. my heart is heavy. thank you. it's pink.
rymodee

mswantak 10-25-04 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by rymodee
my heart is heavy. thank you. it's pink.
rymodee

That's good; your heart is supposed to be pink. :)

rymodee 10-25-04 04:46 PM

it shan't be easy, i don't own any camera capable, i was just hoping for the sekine pr guru man (or woman) to unload detail after detail. ah well...

zonatandem 10-25-04 05:09 PM

Made in Japan in the 70s. Headtube badge used to have a shiny 'diamond-like' stone mounted in it.
Richard DeBernardis, founder of El Tour de Tucson, set a record pedaling the circumference of the US on a Sekine back in the 70s. He may still have that bike or it may be in a museum.
It was a nice bike in it's day.

rymodee 10-26-04 01:59 PM

thanks so much. i'm still on the lookout for more though. this one was just in a trash heap at a thrift store because the tires were flat, but the hot pink paint job and all the components and everything else look brand new!! it's like a time machine.
thanks for a bit of info.

Citoyen du Monde 10-26-04 10:59 PM

Sekine were indeed initially made in Japan. They did however build quite a few bikes in Manitoba Canada. They set up in Canada to avoid the insanely high duties that were imposed on imported bikes in the 70's by the Canadian government in an attempt to protect the Canadian cycle industry (mainly CCM and Canadian Raleigh at the time!). Once they started to build in Canada, they immediately claimed a good market share aas they were far superiorto anything offered at similar prices by CCM and Raleigh. Sekine continued to build in Canada until the early 80's at which time the duties charged on bikes were severely reduced. The shops that I worked in sold thousands of these bikes.

T-Mar 11-04-04 06:38 PM

If it says "world's finest bicycle" on the downtube in place of the brand name then it is of Japanese manufacture and is pre-1973. Early '70s models use the diamond shaped headbadge with the rhinestone and GS in the centre. Late '70s models have a more ornate badge with Sekine Cycle Medialle. The only pink models I've seen were late '80s / earlier '90s model, by which time they had slipped substantially and the headbadge had been replaced by a decal with a stylized S. The later, non-Canadian models also tend to have model numbers or names on the top tubes., though I'm not sure when this practive actually started. However, if you post the component mix, maybe someone can identify the model. Canadian built models should say so on the seat tube decal. I concur with the statements reagrding history and the quality of the Canadian built '70s models, they were excellent value. I too assembled vast quantities of these bicycles in the mid '70s. I own the top of line SHX model with first generation Dura Ace group. It is currently undergoing restorarion.

ollo_ollo 11-04-04 10:26 PM

I have a Nashbar 12 speed "Sport RX" that has SunTour Arx derailleurs, Sugino cranks, double butted ChromeMoly frame & fork. It has a "made in Japan" sticker, a rising sun logo on the back of the seat tube & on one chainstay the motto "The finest Bicycle in the World". It has a good ride but I got a lot of kidding from fellow cyclists: Your bike is such a liar; How's Clinton today? Haven't you taped over that decal yet? etc.
Could it have been made by sekine? Don

rymodee 11-06-04 09:26 PM

well there's a bicycle licence from the 70's on it. i guess that could be put on it at any time, but i'll get all the specs i can find and post tomorrow. thanks...this is actually pretty exciting. i really appreciate it.
actually it says "world finest bicycle", not "world's". it's pretty funny. i am in love with it.

frenchfry 11-06-04 10:09 PM

I used to know a gutar-building hippy in Eastern FLorida with a pink Sekine...

rymodee 11-07-04 03:37 PM

hey i got some specs to check against
the bars are sakae custom, brake handles were diacompe, maxx crankset which said "sugino chainweel" on it, suntour v and spirit derailleurs and an ambrosia rear wheel.
it says world finest bicycle on the downtube like you said and a milwaukee reg. which expired in 77.
cromoly tubes and the badge has a sparkley diamond and stylized gs
the serial number is on the bottom bracket and it says w 86---.
thanks to all who have helped or may offer more info later. this really makes me happy

T-Mar 11-07-04 09:13 PM

I assume you meant Maxi crankset, Spirt front derailleur and Ambrosio rear rim. Everything points to an early SHB model. In 1974 the Sekines definitely had the brand on the downtube and Shimano components as I worked in an LBS that carried Sekine starting that year. Pretty sure it was also that way in 1973, but it could have been a running change in 1973. I'd say pre-1973, but 1973 is a possibility. The rear rim/wheel is almost certainly a replacement. The date would also indicate that is of Japanese origin,as opposed to Canadian.

The SHB model was second from bottom in the lightweight line-up and was a very popular bicycle for good reason. While the frame was somewhat heavier and less resilient than comparable European bicycles, it was much studier and took a lot of punishment. They were the perfect choice for a teenager's first 10 speed. They were also a very good value, having better components than the competition on the price range. The component selection and assembly was excellent. Wheels were always true and nicely tensioned. The paint was beautiful, with a a very deep, wet appearance (except for an ugly olive green they had). In general, their quality control was beyond reproach, and to this day I rank them second only to Miyata in terms of mass produced Japanes bicycles. Competition was the Raleigh Grand Prix, Peugot U08 and Gitane Gran Sport. We sold all these models and the Sekine SHB outsold the combination of all three models.

rymodee 11-08-04 10:57 AM

t-mar, thanks so much. i really appreciate it. you have done a great service to humanity.

imapls 11-08-04 11:28 AM

A buddy's metalic lime green Sekine was the object of my first "cycle envy" in 1974 when I was still riding my brown, plumber's pipe C.Itoh with steel SunTour deraileurs and cottered crank. This Sekine was 25" frame, all alloy components and crank set, absolutely b-yoo-tee-ful. Alas, I couldn't find a Sekine larger than 25" so settled for a 26" Stella. But, that Sekine will be in my memory forever.

toomanybikes 11-08-04 05:23 PM

Coincidence;

I was out prowling today looking for a frame with which to build a fixed-wheel.

I went to one of the local bike shops where I found a mi-80's Klein frame, DT shifters and Super record derailleurs, bottom bracket; regina CX 6 speed freewheel ($100)

Also; a Norco Monterey, Tange 5 tubing, araya rims that look like they have never been used and Panacracer tires that look like they just came out of the box - $100.

a blue Miyata one-thousand set up as a touring bike with cantilever bosses - $75

All very nice

I then went down the street to the thrift shop where I found a Green Sekine, almost my size, sadly I think a tad too small. All original equipment including the Centre-pull brakes - $10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh - I am tempted on that Sekine!!

imapls 11-08-04 06:49 PM

Perhaps thee's moniker, Toomanybikes, bespeaks the truth.

mswantak 11-08-04 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by toomanybikes

Oh, go buy it. I'll give you $12 for it; I've got a little room left. ;)

rymodee 11-08-04 10:06 PM

i'll gladly double that offer!!
i'm not kidding either

rymodee 11-08-04 10:08 PM

if i could have two (slightly) matching sekine world finest bicycle, boy oh boy would i be happy. seriously, let me know if you would do this.

T-Mar 11-09-04 07:49 AM

Coincidence;

I was out prowling today looking for a frame with which to build a fixed-wheel.

I went to one of the local bike shops where I found a mi-80's Klein frame, DT shifters and Super record derailleurs, bottom bracket; regina CX 6 speed freewheel ($100)

Also; a Norco Monterey, Tange 5 tubing, araya rims that look like they have never been used and Panacracer tires that look like they just came out of the box - $100.

a blue Miyata one-thousand set up as a touring bike with cantilever bosses - $75

All very nice

I then went down the street to the thrift shop where I found a Green Sekine, almost my size, sadly I think a tad too small. All original equipment including the Centre-pull brakes - $10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, those are some great finds, particularly the Klien and Miyata. You will not find a better mass produced touring bicycle trhan the Miyata 1000. I have an extensive set of Miyata catalogues and have decyphered their serial number codes if you want more info on originality and/or date. Also have lots of info on Norco.

Would love to have component and serial number info on that Sekine as I am collecting info for a Sekine website and trying to break the serial number codes. Pics too if possible.

gkk1011 11-10-04 07:24 AM

The "worlds finest bike" takes me back to the first nice (to use a 1950's term) far east bike. It was Badged a C.Itoh. which i was told was a Marketing/distributing firm from japan. I have a Yellow one, it was the only color i think this model came in, and only in two frame sizes. these were hand made frames with Suntour drop-outs and Nervex Copty lugs. it came with the Sugino might compe crankset, sunshine hubs with sew ups. suntour VGT der's. these were excellent bikes, i also have a Star...that has the same frame, but all shimano componets (crane der's, etc.) most of these bikes came frome one or two factories. but with any bikes, focus more on the drop-outs when you see them, stay away from the ones with stamped, rather go for the drop forged. these most likely will be made with seamless tubing. then a good investment.

balto charlie 11-18-04 02:53 PM

Coincidence;

Did you buy it?? What size? I've been looking for one. Charlie

Sandy Eggo 11-22-04 06:26 PM

I worked in the Sekine Plant that was located in Manitoba for almost 5 years. All their frames were chrome-Moly frames and were silver soldered. I have one that I "put together" in 1975. I never use it anymore, but it is still in perfect shape. I still have some spare parts, tape, derailers, "SEKINE" logo stickers, etc. They were a hell of a bike, and in fact, our Olympic team trained on them for 2 years (they were donated). I left there before the Plant closed, but my brother was there until the end. I still have the jacket we had to wear in the Plant!

Hickory 11-23-04 10:52 AM

I am the proud new owner of a pink Sekine that I bought for $8.99 at the Goodwill. It has the "diamond" headbadge, says "made in Japan", but does not say "world finest". I pumped up the tires and took it for a spin around the neighborhood. Bike is operable, but needs some work. I've appreciated this thread and would love any additional info about Sekine and/or restoring old bikes.