Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Gravel Grinding in Annapolis MD? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1170864)

PickleRick 04-18-19 07:26 AM

Gravel Grinding in Annapolis MD?

Apologies to the Mods if this is the wrong forum for this query.

I may be traveling to Annapolis this weekend to visit family. I might have a short break to sneak out and do some riding. I see the Baltimore & Annapolis Trail and The BWI Trail but they look like fairly mundane paved bike paths (but maybe not?). I'm also seeing the C&O Canal Trail which looks promising, but it appears that the trailhead is right in downtown DC, which is less than optimal.
This is an ad hoc trip and I realize that beggars cannot be choosers, but I'm wondering if there are other options for a quick 15-20 mile gravel ride in the Annapolis area?
Cheers!

Skipjacks 04-18-19 11:14 AM

The BWI trail is all paved and goes around the airport. It's not a challenging ride but it's a nice one, and the parking lot for it is right off the runway so you can see planes coming in 50 feet over your head, which is cool. It's a big circle too...so if it's too short you can also go around 2-3 times.

The Baltimore Annapolis trail is also paved. But a very pretty ride. (May not be gully paved. But much of it is. I have't ever ridden it. But I'm driven next to it many times.)

The C&O towpath has many access points, not just downtown DC. It's a hardpack buy not fully paved surface. It's an hour from Annapolis though.

The NCR trail north of Baltimore is similar to the C&O towpath. It's an old rail trail. Crush limestone hardpack. Nothing overly spectacular about it but it gets the job done for a place to ride. It's 45 minutes form Annapolis if the traffic cooperates.

Downtown Annapolis is fun to ride through. It's not a gravel path by any means. All paved and brick streets. But it's a pretty cool quaint downtown area that's a solid mix of Revolutionary and modern times.

PickleRick 04-18-19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Skipjacks (Post 20890285)
The BWI trail is all paved and goes around the airport. It's not a challenging ride but it's a nice one, and the parking lot for it is right off the runway so you can see planes coming in 50 feet over your head, which is cool. It's a big circle too...so if it's too short you can also go around 2-3 times.

The Baltimore Annapolis trail is also paved. But a very pretty ride. (May not be gully paved. But much of it is. I have't ever ridden it. But I'm driven next to it many times.)

The C&O towpath has many access points, not just downtown DC. It's a hardpack buy not fully paved surface. It's an hour from Annapolis though.

The NCR trail north of Baltimore is similar to the C&O towpath. It's an old rail trail. Crush limestone hardpack. Nothing overly spectacular about it but it gets the job done for a place to ride. It's 45 minutes form Annapolis if the traffic cooperates.

Downtown Annapolis is fun to ride through. It's not a gravel path by any means. All paved and brick streets. But it's a pretty cool quaint downtown area that's a solid mix of Revolutionary and modern times.

Thanks Skipjacks!....this is very helpful. --Pretty is good and "very pretty" is even better, sounds like I'll try the Baltimore Annapolis trail if I drive down this weekend. Cheers!

Skipjacks 04-18-19 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by PickleRick (Post 20890515)
Thanks Skipjacks!....this is very helpful. --Pretty is good and "very pretty" is even better, sounds like I'll try the Baltimore Annapolis trail if I drive down this weekend. Cheers!

I mean you're not going to be shredding gravel like the Duke Boys cornering on dirt roads on the Baltimore Annapolis trail since it's paved. But it's a nice paved smooth ride.

If you NEED dirt, it's not for you.

If you just need a nice place to ride, you'll enjoy it.

All the trees are starting to bloom this week in the area too. So it'll be that nice spring light green everywhere.

There's a few intersections on it that you have to be careful as it does cross roads. You can't just put your head down and rip it.