Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Dress code (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233196)

Barrettscv 06-21-21 07:08 AM

Dress code

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...750e53e15.jpeg

I'll just leave this here

terrymorse 06-21-21 10:49 AM

I feel seen.

gthomson 06-21-21 11:06 AM

LOL I relate to this. I admit that I am subconscious about wearing my cycling kit as my days for showing off the body are long gone (more like, never existed) and hesitate going out in public in full light wearing the kit.

It determines the choice of bike I ride, often choosing an older bike with steel toe clips and then I just wear performance shorts and shirt.

downtube42 06-21-21 11:52 AM

I'm still annoyed my wife threw away my favorite bell bottom jeans, in about 1986. They were only ten years old and had another decade of life left.

Retro Grouch 06-21-21 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 22111434)
I'm still annoyed my wife threw away my favorite bell bottom jeans, in about 1986. They were only ten years old and had another decade of life left.

If they really were your favorite jeans so they got worn a lot, and if they really were 10 years old, they must have had some fairly suggestive patches considering the quality of bell bottom jeans that were produced back then.

downtube42 06-21-21 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 22111824)
If they really were your favorite jeans so they got worn a lot, and if they really were 10 years old, they must have had some fairly suggestive patches considering the quality of bell bottom jeans that were produced back then.

The patches had patches. Being I was her kid #8 and boy #4, my mom could patch the hell out of a pair of jeans.

Rolla 06-21-21 06:17 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...82ff76a486.gif

rydabent 06-22-21 09:20 AM

That is why at nearly 83 I wear regular t-shirts and rugby shorts. Tons cheaper too.

tkamd73 06-22-21 09:45 AM

The beer gut with the spandex, and tight Jersey always kills me. And to Rolla, thanks for the Calvin & Hobbs post, best comic ever! I have the complete collection, and you reminded me to go back and reread them again.
Tim

zandoval 06-22-21 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by tkamd73 (Post 22112711)
The beer gut with the spandex, and tight Jersey always kills me...

And don't forget the TEDS! (above the calf compression socks)

And - - - - um if they can't take a joke....

caloso 06-22-21 10:37 AM

How old is this cartoon? 40 years?

tkamd73 06-22-21 10:46 AM

First Calvin & Hobbs comic, so not quite 40 years yet.
Tim

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9340e8430.jpeg

gthomson 06-22-21 10:58 AM

I used to read Calvin & Hobbes cover to cover when I was younger, loved it so much. Kept my collection and let the kids read it when they were young and it's generational.

caloso 06-22-21 01:42 PM

Not C&H. The cartoon in the OP.

downtube42 06-22-21 07:28 PM

Speaking of dress codes. After 18 months of working from home wearing ratty shorts, socks, and an untucked button-down shirt, I'm supposed to go in the office on July 7th wearing slacks, sport coat with tie, and give a 4 minute spiel to the President and CEO. Now that is an outfit that has no functional justification whatsoever. It has even less of a rationale that roadies shaving legs. Heck I might have to go to Goodwill and buy a sport coat for the occasion.

rsbob 06-22-21 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 22113489)
Speaking of dress codes. After 18 months of working from home wearing ratty shorts, socks, and an untucked button-down shirt, I'm supposed to go in the office on July 7th wearing slacks, sport coat with tie, and give a 4 minute spiel to the President and CEO. Now that is an outfit that has no functional justification whatsoever. It has even less of a rationale that roadies shaving legs. Heck I might have to go to Goodwill and buy a sport coat for the occasion.

My sincere condolences on your return.

Since my legs are as hairy as an ape, I weed wack them down to something more presentable but don’t shave. I even MTB with those legs!

canklecat 06-23-21 12:13 AM

When I resumed cycling in 2015, riding a comfort hybrid and wore casual clothes, I swore I'd never return to wearing those tighty wool jerseys and shorts with chamois and shoes with cleats and toe clips.

And I didn't. Nope. When I got my first road bike in 30+ years in 2017, I bought tighty Lycra and Spandex jerseys and padded shorts and bibs, and clipless shoes. Because it turned out to be functional.

And when I resumed jogging last autumn, for the first time in nearly 40 years, I swore I'd never return to wearing shorty shorts and sleeveless t-shirts.

And I didn't. Until February, when I added some real running shoes to the clot of gear. And shorty shorts. And sleeveless tees.

Once in awhile I tell myself I'm just going for a casual 5 mile walk. So I wear baggy shorts down to my knees. Then after warming up for a mile or so I decide to jog a little. And every time the baggy shorts restrict my leg movement I swear I'm just gonna wear shorty shorts every time, just in case I change my mind and decide to run.

I'm still on the verge of losing all sense of shame and wearing snug compression tights for runs on days when my hip is aching. Maybe after I lose 5 lbs.

Gotta let that Pre flag fly sometimes.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cfa024d32e.gif

rydabent 06-23-21 09:28 AM

Note however that trike riders, even if they belly pouches out wearing a spandex cycling jersey, are forgiven. Trike riders are expected to have a beard and an AERO BELLY. The aero belly makes us much faster. :)

Chuckles1 06-23-21 09:34 AM

Gay...

Reminds me of a time I pulled into a school parking lot for a breather. Two (I'm guessing) South Park fans, about thirteen years old were hanging out nearby. One of them says to me, "nice helmet." Then he turns to his buddy and says, "GAY." I got a chuckle out of that.

Lazyass 06-24-21 03:15 AM

I wear solid color jerseys and black shorts.

But this thread reminds me of a kid I saw yesterday. His jeans were literally hanging down completely below his butt cheeks. Not halfway down, all the way below. For the life of me I couldn't tell how his jeans were not falling down to his ankles. They had to have been attached by something. But the worst part is he had bright orange skin tight underwear that would draw your eyes to it a mile away. Come on man.

rydabent 06-26-21 07:42 AM

"Dress code" can be attributed to those that think they have the right to dictate to others what they should wear while cycling. Wear what you like!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Stone 06-27-21 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 22112677)
That is why at nearly 83 I wear regular t-shirts and rugby shorts. Tons cheaper too.

That's me - T-Shirt and a pair of shorts.

gthomson 06-27-21 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 22113489)

wow, I would prefer the pressure from fellow cyclists about wearing lycra than the idea of wearing a shirt and tie. Honestly, that's a brutal welcome back to office! I've been at home for over a year now and not sure i want to go back.

Mark Stone 06-27-21 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 22118361)
"Dress code" can be attributed to those that think they have the right to dictate to others what they should wear while cycling. Wear what you like!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Preach it!!!!!

wolfchild 06-27-21 01:17 PM

I don't follow other peoples dress codes...I make my own rules as to what I wear while cycling...