Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Pills and Ills (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=337)
-   -   Hip Recovery Blog (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1153513)

jppe 08-24-18 05:09 AM

Hip Recovery Blog

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3871d5675.jpeg

At least I still have wheels!!
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...160b0fabc.jpeg

Local fisherman stopped to check the area
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eef45f093.jpeg

I was honored with a duck parade
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8386b1614.jpeg

View from the cockpit
Maybe I can use this post as a tool for me to gain insights from other 50+ cyclists who have are dealing with recovery.

Injury: Broken hip with a full hip replacement on 8/15/18 from a bike crash.

PT is underway. Everything manageable so far with some movements easier than others. Luckily pain free post surgery except for stiffness and some soreness in the replacement area. Only meds I’ve taken is Tylenol to deal with a low grade fever. Mobility is as expected with the use of a walker. Doing laps on the first floor of our house. Appetite has returned.

The stitches in my chin and elbow were removed yesterday!! Hooray! We celebrated by my wife driving us up to my in laws for a BBQ lunch and a visit to what has been the official “Recovery Center “. It is my in laws house on the lake where several family members have gone to recover. Huge one floor house on the lake. Wrap around deck to sit and enjoy being outside.

It is also where I’ve ridden hundreds of miles on my bike to the last many years. The average ride from my house to theirs is about 60 miles with the range being 50-110. It was a great afternoon to sit outside and daydream about riding and golfing!!! At this point it sure makes you wonder if there’s one more of those rides out there somewhere???

Question for anyone. I use Look pedals. To disengage you just twist your heel out to unclip like most pedals. I’ve always used my right foot to unclip first and stood on my right leg at a stop. Can I continue using my Look pedals? Can I continue using my right leg to unclip first as I’ve always done? My hip replacement was my right one. It seems like a simple thing but switching to my left is a huge learning step for me if I need to change.

jwh20 08-24-18 07:00 AM

All the best to you on your recovery! As far as unclipping right vs. left, it's not clear to me that a hip replacement would have much effect on the ability to unclip as that motion comes from the ankle and possibly lower leg, not the hip. Standing, at least early on, might be an issue but you'll only be able to judge that once you are in a position to test standing that way.

I am sure, however, that with some practice you'll be able to clip/unclip just as easily using the left leg as you do the right one. I never really thought about it until now but I have always unclipped my left shoe first. I guess I'll have to try it the other way next time I ride to see if there is any difference.

slorollin 08-24-18 07:07 AM

I have 2 prosthetic hips. 1 from '94 and 1 from '13. The twisting that you describe is a motion that's discouraged, at least for a while. I'd recommend a touring or platform type pedal until you're sure about the motion. Also, you don't need a fall right now because you were a little slow on the draw. Later you will probably be able to resume your routine, barring complications and with Dr approval. If all goes well in a few months you won't know you broke your hip. You will experience the occasional twinge or maybe be able to predict the weather, but that's about it. As debilitating injuries go, this is one of the better ones thanks to the magic of modern medicine. Not so long ago, we'd have been crippled for life.

dannwilliams 08-24-18 09:02 AM

Switching legs is not as easy as one would think! I had the left replaced after a crash in November 2016. I am a left leg unclip side. Last summer, I biffed it trying to get going using the other leg. Bad things flashed through my mind while going dow!. Luckily no harm other than a little scuffing of the calf. I have had no problem clipping in this year. Last year I went back to SPD because they released quicker/easier than the road SPD SL pedals. Good luck and best wishes on your recovery!

jppe 08-24-18 12:31 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...078a95a3a.jpeg

Note the bicycle ornament in the foreground. My wife knows how to capture things!
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1f476e53e.jpeg

GREAT news today! My therapist was so encouraged with my progress she suggested walking with a cane. It was great!!! It feels much more like normal walking than pushing a walker.

We we even went up and down stairs. She also took me throughout the yard to see how I’d do on uneven surfaces.

It feels like a big progression just 9 days after the replacement. Wouldn’t it be super if the muscles and other tissue around the surgical area would heal faster to minimize the risk of a displacement during recovery. That’s what the next big hurdle might just be.

Maybe there just might be a Strava segment on my driveway???

JanMM 08-24-18 01:04 PM

Lookin' good! When are you gonna upgrade to a 'freestanding' HurryCane? https://www.hurrycane.com/

Hondo Gravel 08-24-18 06:01 PM

Glad to see that you are making a great recovery :)

cb400bill 08-24-18 07:16 PM

Thread moved to Pills and Ills forum.

PhoenixBiker 08-24-18 07:20 PM

Wow, that's rapid progress! Congratulations!

Biker395 08-27-18 11:13 AM

Wow ... you are doing great!

Red Rider 08-27-18 02:00 PM

Congratulations on your recovery! That's really fast. I think it helps that you were in such good shape to begin with.

jppe 08-28-18 07:11 AM

My PT surprised me this morning and suggested we go for a walk in the neighborhood. When we started walking she asked me to try it without the cane. It was great!! Woo Hoo!!!

We didn’t walk terribly far but just enough to where my hip was talking to me. Another milestone in the books!!https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9fb028f3d.jpeghttps://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b81ead90b.jpeg

Biker395 08-28-18 04:43 PM

Holy crap. Is the rapidity of your recovery at all typical? You seem like you are flying right along!

jppe 08-29-18 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 20533545)
Holy crap. Is the rapidity of your recovery at all typical? You seem like you are flying right along!

I don’t have a lot to measure it with to really know. From my perspective things seem to go really slow then there’s this nice step change.

As we were walking I was telling my PT how the two key data points that I monitored while riding were Heart Rate and Cadence. I told her that right now it really seemed unlikely I’d ever be able to get back to a cadence of 90-100 rpm. She said I’d get there. I guess we’ll see!

My other question is wondering if my current saddles will still work. Hopefully there aren’t prolonged issues with the surgical area and sitting. Right now a cushion feels pretty darn good.

jppe 09-01-18 08:15 AM

I walked about a mile this morning including a Hill that hits 10%!!! Woo hoo!!! That’s about twice as far as I walked yesterday.

Yesterday after walking I spent about an hour pulling weeds out of the lawn. It had been neglected for a couple weeks. I normally walk through the yard a couple times a week for 10 minutes but was unable to do so since the crash, The summer weeds grow so quickly it’s important to stay on top of them.

I’m not supposed to bend my right hip more than 90 degrees. So what I had to do was kick my right leg out behind me and just bend my left leg. The hamstrings on my left leg were really sore this morning!!!! Good workout for future hill climbs possibly???

jppe 09-02-18 09:17 AM

I walked about 1 1/2 miles on a crushed stone path in one of our local parks this morning. Pretty slow but got ‘er done.

Hondo Gravel 09-02-18 10:41 AM

You are recovering fast! I bet being in great shape to begin with is a factor.

JLDickmon 09-02-18 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 20525581)
Lookin' good! When are you gonna upgrade to a 'freestanding' HurryCane? https://www.hurrycane.com/

I was thinking a proper blackthorn shillelagh..
https://www.hammacher.com/product/genuine-handmade-irish-shillelagh-6?cm_cat=ProductSEM&cm_pla=AdWordsPLA&source=PRODSEM&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlK7cBRCnARIsAJiE3Mi88_BgPWzAUpru6 lRDAy2g9g1bG5miY7gF5U8dB5EcmcdWbAPUw4waAv6cEALw_wcB

Dude, you're my hero. Ever since I read a post of yours about rolling a century after riding 30 miles to get there.. then riding 30 miles home..

I don't even BEGIN to pretend to give you advice, but as far as pedals go, I use SPDs.. and the only time I've even come close to toppling was on the MUP... there is a sharp 90 to the right, you go a few yards, a sharp 90 to the left, under a bridge (8' concrete to underside of bridge deck) another sharp 90 to the left.. when I popped out on the other side, there was a homeless guy riding on the wrong side, looking over the edge of the rail for bottles.. I hit the brakes hard enough to lock up the rear tire, and my weight was headed to my right.. but I unclip to the left.. I got my right foot unclipped barely before going over the rail a'la Philippe Gilbert, and proceeded to crush my junk on my top tube (was riding my Talus).. it was very awkward. But a 5* release saved at the least, a serious case of splinters..

dannwilliams 09-03-18 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 20542346)
I walked about 1 1/2 miles on a crushed stone path in one of our local parks this morning. Pretty slow but got ‘er done.

Great job on your recovery so far! During my recovery almost 2 years ago, I was walking up to 3 miles after a few weeks! But the discomfort I experienced had my doc suggesting several shorter walks each day rather than 1 long walk. I also broke my clavicle in the crash, and that also would hurt on the longer walks.

Your great fitness before the accident is a big plus as you recover! Hopefully you’ll be on a stationary bike, then out on the road before you know it!

jppe 09-04-18 09:13 AM

My PT came again this morning. She said let’s go walking and work on cardio. When we got out of my driveway she took off at a fast pace and said “see if you can keep up with me”. I was able to stay with her but it felt strange walking that fast again, but it was good to get pushed into it like that. I told her about controlled breathing on the bike particularly in the higher HR zones......slow deep breaths, holding my breath for a second, exhaling and then repeating. She was impressed that I not only was aware of it but actually used it when necessary.

We walked about 1/4 mile at that pace. After she left I walked another mile at that faster pace.

And my PT said I could ditch the cane and it felt much better not carrying it.

jppe 09-04-18 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by JLDickmon (Post 20543491)
I was thinking a proper blackthorn shillelagh..
https://www.hammacher.com/product/ge...waAv6cEALw_wcB

Dude, you're my hero. Ever since I read a post of yours about rolling a century after riding 30 miles to get there.. then riding 30 miles home..

I don't even BEGIN to pretend to give you advice, but as far as pedals go, I use SPDs.. and the only time I've even come close to toppling was on the MUP... there is a sharp 90 to the right, you go a few yards, a sharp 90 to the left, under a bridge (8' concrete to underside of bridge deck) another sharp 90 to the left.. when I popped out on the other side, there was a homeless guy riding on the wrong side, looking over the edge of the rail for bottles.. I hit the brakes hard enough to lock up the rear tire, and my weight was headed to my right.. but I unclip to the left.. I got my right foot unclipped barely before going over the rail a'la Philippe Gilbert, and proceeded to crush my junk on my top tube (was riding my Talus).. it was very awkward. But a 5* release saved at the least, a serious case of splinters..

i have SPDs on my gravel bike and I like them. That might be a good interim option. My Look pedals are pretty easy to unclip as well so I’ll experiment on the trainer.

deacon mark 09-04-18 01:22 PM

Will they let you get on your bike and do the indoor trainer? Almost 3 years ago I hit an ice patch riding and landed right on my hip. Very lucky was not displaced fracture Dr used 3 stainless steel screws to hold in place. He did mention the risk of avascular neurosis if it did not heal. I did what he said and he allow me to get back on the indoor trainer 5 days after surgery. Granted I did not have a hip replacement but from what I understand they want to moving as much as possible.

I not sure but I am runner actually first before a cyclist and after the hip pinning I was able to go back running easy on treadmill in 9 weeks. It was slow but I was ok thank you Lord. I think the spinning might have helped and I never would push to any point to pain. To note I was 54 at the time so age on my side at least I think.

Keep up the progress you are doing great.

jppe 09-04-18 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by deacon mark (Post 20546520)
Will they let you get on your bike and do the indoor trainer? Almost 3 years ago I hit an ice patch riding and landed right on my hip. Very lucky was not displaced fracture Dr used 3 stainless steel screws to hold in place. He did mention the risk of avascular neurosis if it did not heal. I did what he said and he allow me to get back on the indoor trainer 5 days after surgery. Granted I did not have a hip replacement but from what I understand they want to moving as much as possible.

I not sure but I am runner actually first before a cyclist and after the hip pinning I was able to go back running easy on treadmill in 9 weeks. It was slow but I was ok thank you Lord. I think the spinning might have helped and I never would push to any point to pain. To note I was 54 at the time so age on my side at least I think.

Keep up the progress you are doing great.

My brother had a femur fracture like yours and I recall him being non weight bearing for a while but he was back on a bike fairly quickly.

My surgeon said he will probably let me on a stationary bike in another 4 weeks. After a total hip replacement, you are allowed total weight bearing on the leg but you are limited to a 90 degree angle on the femur and upper torso for about 6-8 weeks. For example I’m not allowed to bend over enough to put a sock, shoe or tie shoe laces on that foot. That’s to allow complete healing of the tissues that help hold the ball in the socket in place and to prevent it from becoming dislocated. I am allowed to exercise on a treadmill or a step machine but not a bike for at least another month.

It will be several months before I’m allowed to swing a golf club. I’m fine with that. Right now I can’t imagine ever doing that twisting motion and swinging hard again but we’ll see......Jack Nicklaus had a hip replacement and he is still playing!! Hopefully pretty soon I can get my walking mileage up to where I can at least walk with my golf buddies while they play. Just getting out will be a nice change.

Hondo Gravel 09-04-18 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 20545939)
My PT came again this morning. She said let’s go walking and work on cardio. When we got out of my driveway she took off at a fast pace and said “see if you can keep up with me”. I was able to stay with her but it felt strange walking that fast again, but it was good to get pushed into it like that. I told her about controlled breathing on the bike particularly in the higher HR zones......slow deep breaths, holding my breath for a second, exhaling and then repeating. She was impressed that I not only was aware of it but actually used it when necessary.

We walked about 1/4 mile at that pace. After she left I walked another mile at that faster pace.

And my PT said I could ditch the cane and it felt much better not carrying it.

The PT looks like a no nonsense lady which is a good thing.

jppe 09-05-18 03:33 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2b57a97ac.jpeg

Wearing one of my El Tour de Tucson T-shirts driving to the park!
I had my last visit by my PT today. Her parting gift was some stair exercises. Standing on stairs, you slowly bend the injured leg until you can touch the step below with the good foot. Pretty tough right now but once it’s mastered maybe it will help hill climbing???? After I’m comfortable doing it using the handrail the next option is to not hold onto anything.

I also drove today for the first time since the crash and I was able to use my right foot/leg for both the gas and brake pedals. I’m not as fast as I want to be with the right leg thus I’m allowing plenty of following and braking distance. It would be nice if other drivers didn’t tailgate so much. I drove to a park where my wife and I walked a couple miles. The incision area is still healing and the lap belt tugs right across that area. Ugh.