Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Better grips for grip shifters? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=754398)

rhiannonstone 07-24-11 10:43 AM

Better grips for grip shifters?

I just started riding in February (my bike: a used late 80s/early 90s purple Biachi Strada with raised bars, seen in my avatar), and as I've been riding a lot more over the past couple months I've noticed that the plain skinny slip-on textured rubber grips that came with my bike aren't working for me because they're not supportive (they flop past the ends of the bars) and the texture hurts my hands, even with gloves. I tried some Ergon-like ergo grips and I don't like them at all--I had to chop them up like crazy to get them to fit on my bars, because I have grip shifters, so they're shorter than they should be and there's nowhere to wrap my hands around the grips because all that's left is the ergo platform.

I'm also finding that at a certain point my hands really want somewhere else to rest, usually somewhere a little beyond where my current bar/grips extend--I find myself wrapping my hands around the endcaps of the grips when they're tired, but that's obviously not a good solution. Ideally I'd like to try grips with built-in bar ends so I have the option of different hand positions, but none of the ones I've seen at my LBSes will work with my grip shifters. I'm also willing to give some nice grips--non-ergo, not very textured--without bar ends a try, but again, my options are limited because of the grip shifters.

Can anyone suggest a decent set of grips that would work on my standard raised/hybrid handlebars with grip shifters? Surely they exist. I'm not necessarily tied to keeping my grip shifters, but having to swap them out for trigger shifters just because I want better grips seems silly.

Retro Grouch 07-24-11 11:19 AM

There's lots of handgrips that are designed to work with grip shifters. Enough so that I wouldn't mess with modifying something that wasn't Grip Shift specific. There's even an Ergon GR2-S-G that combines the Grip Shift style hand grip with a small bar end.

If it was my bike, I'd install some kind of bar end to give you another hand position. The ability to rotate your wrists 90 degrees will greatly improve your comfort on longer rides. Since you said you have riser rides, I'd recommend a Cane Creek or Singletrac Solutions bar end because they don't look so goofy angling out the sides.

fietsbob 07-24-11 11:20 AM

Ergon .. they, German company, make a nice larger surface flattened grip, that clamps on.

I have one of their products which integrated a nicely shaped bar end,
and use 1 bolt to hold both parts on, ... and have them adjustable independently.

their grip shift model is 35mm shorter, than the standard one.. and squared off, on the inside end.

sold thru several US distributors .. that supply your LBS.

JanMM 07-24-11 12:28 PM

You can add traditional bar ends to your bars, as suggested by RG.
AT any rate, if your current grips are sticking out beyond the end of the bar, then you could move your brake levers and shifters inward.