Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1220440)

gugie 12-29-20 12:33 PM

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

I have an unnatural aversion to bolt on derailleur claws. While touring down Hwy 1 in California when I was 18, I had a couple of flats. Getting the wheel back in with these things is difficult - they seemed to always want to rotate and stop the hub from going in. In addition, I couldn't seem to get the quick release on the rear wheel tight enough so that the wheel wouldn't shift and rub against the chainstays when I'd stand up and pedal hard. Now when I see a decent bike frame without a derailleur hanger I think "braze one on", or relegate to IGH.

Another thing that I avoid is black anodized parts. Working in an LBS in the 80's the cycle of black anodizing was in. Unless you were very careful assembling the bike a small scratch would scream out at you - the metal is silver colored under that black anodization. To this day I avoid black anodized parts.

With regards to bikes, what bugs you more than it bugs most people?

Chuck M 12-29-20 12:40 PM

I think most C&V readers now would be bothered now, but apparently when I was a kid it bothered me more than most people to turn drop bars upward. Everyone I saw with a "10 speed" or "racing bike" as they were called then turned their bars upward as soon as they got their new bike home.

merziac 12-29-20 12:47 PM

:popcorn

I'm with ya on both of those, add kickstands to them and keep a Sharpie handy for the scratches. ;)

rccardr 12-29-20 12:52 PM

‘Anatomica’ handle bars. Especially black ones. Ugly and never understood the reasoning behind them.

DiabloScott 12-29-20 12:55 PM

Terminology: front fork, rear cassette.

bargo68 12-29-20 01:00 PM

Mini/half fenders.
Just.....why?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7fef5c1804.jpg

Bianchi84 12-29-20 01:13 PM

Fork drop out QR retention/liability schemes that make a nutted hub seem more preferable. I never had one but worked on many that did!

I don't want to start anything but... bars wrapped bottom to top.

BFisher 12-29-20 01:14 PM

The first thing that comes to mind is the marketing and how many people fall for it.

Take grease, for instance. There is already a sufficiently huge variety of grease to choose from that is readily available at lots of retail stores all over and will easily keep a bicycle operating as intended. But no. Bicycles somehow need "special" grease that comes in a "special" smaller container, and of course costs way more.

repechage 12-29-20 01:26 PM

Kickstands that crush the chainstays.

bikingshearer 12-29-20 01:29 PM

Most jersey graphics in the last 20 or 30 years. Just because you can sublimate every color of the rainbow in any random pattern onto a single garment doesn't mean that you should.
Shorts that aren't black.
Shoes that aren't black.
Socks that aren't white.
Yes, I am old. Now get off my lawn.:50:

Vintage_Cyclist 12-29-20 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by BFisher (Post 21853646)
The first thing that comes to mind is the marketing and how many people fall for it.

Take grease, for instance. There is already a sufficiently huge variety of grease to choose from that is readily available at lots of retail stores all over and will easily keep a bicycle operating as intended. But no. Bicycles somehow need "special" grease that comes in a "special" smaller container, and of course costs way more.

One of my eye rollers also. I'm particularly amused when I see vintage grease sold on eBay, such as the Campy 'Special' Grease tubs, which can easily go north of $100 for a partially used tub of 30-40 year old grease that someone found at a garage or estate sale.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

I've got one of these that a bought about 40 years ago for about five bucks. Still 2/3 full and mainly used for buttering seat posts and bolts. Something in a tube works better for bearing cups.

seypat 12-29-20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 21853560)
I have an unnatural aversion to bolt on derailleur claws. While touring down Hwy 1 in California when I was 18, I had a couple of flats. Getting the wheel back in with these things is difficult - they seemed to always want to rotate and stop the hub from going in. In addition, I couldn't seem to get the quick release on the rear wheel tight enough so that the wheel wouldn't shift and rub against the chainstays when I'd stand up and pedal hard. Now when I see a decent bike frame without a derailleur hanger I think "braze one on", or relegate to IGH.

Another thing that I avoid is black anodized parts. Working in an LBS in the 80's the cycle of black anodizing was in. Unless you were very careful assembling the bike a small scratch would scream out at you - the metal is silver colored under that black anodization. To this day I avoid black anodized parts.

Currently contemplating a build with black anodized parts. Your reason is why they still haven't been bought. Plus, I like glossy black, but detest matte black. I just can't get myself to do it, yet.

seypat 12-29-20 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by BFisher (Post 21853646)

The bearing grease that's sold in automotive sections is cheap and does the job...............but it's still sold in a tub/tube that's more than I'll use in a lifetime.

scarlson 12-29-20 01:50 PM

Racks mounted with clamps instead of brazed on. I broke two low riders touring on racks like this. Had to mend them with spare spokes and rope from the tent, in the middle of a six month tour. We were in Wales when they cracked in half. In the dark. In the rain. On a 20% incline. I get the heebie jeebies just looking at clamp-on racks these days.

As far as black anodized components go, the main trouble I have is that I often find a black anodized component that I would like to match the silver stuff on the rest of my bike. And maybe it did come in silver, but all the used ones I can find for a decent price are black. So I remove the anodizing, but it's a huge pain, either playing with caustic chemicals or generating a dust cloud with my Scotch Brite and buffing wheels. And if you miss a spot, it will be blackly glaring back at you from a sea of perfectly polished alu. What a pain!

seypat 12-29-20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bianchi84 (Post 21853641)
I don't want to start anything but... bars wrapped bottom to top.

Now you've done it. I thought those other threads were controversial, but this, this is not acceptable. Have you no decency towards mankind? :D

thook 12-29-20 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by rccardr (Post 21853593)
‘Anatomica’ handle bars. Especially black ones. Ugly and never understood the reasoning behind them.

because the concave round of a traditional bar isn't quite native to the palm for extended periods. having said that, i don't care for anatomica's, either. not that i think they're ugly. on the "right" build, they kinda look cool to me. but, i don't like the feel of them. the ramps usually suck

oh, probably the only thing that bothers me is large gaps in tire frame clearance.....eg. 700x23c wheels on a 27" frame. just looks off to me

th0m 12-29-20 02:03 PM

This might be controversial for some older guys, but bars higher than or level with the saddle just looks terrible on a road bike and bugs me to no end. Doesn't matter how nice the bike is, if the bars are not at least a few centimeters below the saddle, it's going to be ugly.

SurferRosa 12-29-20 02:13 PM

Cable housings that are too long or, usually, way too long. I mean ...

:wtf:

I also often see the rear brake cable routed on the drive side of the stem from a right aero lever. I mean ...

:wtf:

And stamped drops.

nlerner 12-29-20 02:17 PM

People who take perfectly fine 700c road bikes and stick those funny diminutive French wheels on them. I mean, what’s that all about?

thook 12-29-20 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by bargo68 (Post 21853609)

they do look funny, but i've noticed they do help keep road grime from the pivoting points on the calipers

J.Higgins 12-29-20 02:18 PM

I have an unnatural aversion to bolt on derailleur claws.

Me too. I wont even consider buying a frame without forged dropouts unless I have specific plans to make it a single-speed or IGH.

Another thing that really bugs me is dirt, filth, grime and rust.

scarlson 12-29-20 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 21853769)
People who take perfectly fine 700c road bikes and stick those funny diminutive French wheels on them. I mean, what’s that all about?

Les Dilberteurs... :p

merziac 12-29-20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by th0m (Post 21853745)
This might be controversial for some older guys, but bars higher than or level with the saddle just looks terrible on a road bike and bugs me to no end. Doesn't matter how nice the bike is, if the bars are not at least a few centimeters below the saddle, it's going to be ugly.

Not controversial for me, glad you can own your disdain, you have plenty of company and I get it but my comfort and ability to ride all day long trumps any problem you may have with it.

It bugs me when others try to dictate how I set my bikes up.

I'm going to assume you will quit riding when you can't ride them like that anymore. ;)

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a97d049d41.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...aa6e51c959.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...50183b8598.jpg

iab 12-29-20 02:31 PM

Long, detailed conversations about the "ideal" bike, component, setup, riding form, etc.

There is no such thing.

th0m 12-29-20 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by merziac (Post 21853802)
Not controversial for me, glad you can own your disdain, you have plenty of company and I get it but my comfort and ability to ride all day long trumps any problem you may have with it.

It bugs me when others try to dictate how I set my bikes up.

I'm going to assume you will quit riding when you can't ride them like that anymore. ;)

It's purely an aesthetical thing and I of course realise that not all people can or want to ride with a more aggressive setup. I just can't help thinking "oh, what a shame" everytime I see a potentially beautiful road bike set up that way.