Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Comfy Helmet for Large Noggin (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177059)

hexron 06-30-19 03:37 PM

Comfy Helmet for Large Noggin

My Specialized Max Helmet is getting old and crusty. Need a XXL Helmet that has more padding maybe and not just a plastic band.

August West 06-30-19 04:07 PM

How large do you need? Two that I know that are available in XL are the Giro Syntax MIPS and Bell Falcon MIPS.

My melon is about 61.5cm circumference so I usually have trouble finding helmets that fit. I tried both of those and they both will go a lot bigger than my head and were comfortable. In fact, the Giro was a little loose at its smallest adjustment. What I found was they both looked ginormous on my head though. Think some kind of space alien. The Bell was worse but both were almost comical. So I had them send me the same Giro helmet in L and it fits great while being proportional and is a nice looking helmet.

I worked with bikeshoes.com with both the helmet and new shoes I bought since I'm in a small town with almost no locally available gear, especially XL. They were great to work with and have no problem with you ordering more than one item to try on for fit. They even provide a prepaid label for you to send back items you don't want. Small company that was easy to deal with.

August West 06-30-19 04:21 PM

Something else I found. The advertised size from the manufacturer doesn't always match reality. I tried on a Bontrager Circuit MIPS locally that they claim goes up to 63cm and it was tight on my bare head. With a Headsweats it was a no-go.

metz1295 07-01-19 09:30 AM

I bought a Specialized Echelon II last year and love it. Last time I checked, my nog was a little over 58. Looks like their out of XXL's, but a local Specialized dealer might have some.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ec...=251040-162031

Ogsarg 07-01-19 10:33 AM

Helmet comfort has to do primarily with the shape of your head and not so much the size. What works for someone else, isn't necessarily going to work for you.

A helmet is one thing I'll never buy without trying on and it's worth it to me to pay a few extra bucks to go somewhere that is still willing to stock a reasonable selection in various sizes.

rumrunn6 07-01-19 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ogsarg (Post 21005824)
Helmet comfort & the shape of your head // never buy without trying on and it's worth it to me to pay a few extra bucks to go somewhere that is still willing to stock a reasonable selection in various sizes.

I remember when I was first surprised by that. trying some on, thought I would just be making a judgement on how they looked. some felt not so comfy, some felt OK, but when you try one on that fits well, it's obvious that's what you should get. I also bought some replacement helmet foam & touched up one helmet. it really helped cuz the original foam either fell off, wore out or was too lame to begin with?

Replacement Foam Helmet Pads Universal Kit Bicycle Cycling Skating

ColonelSanders 07-01-19 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by August West (Post 21004622)
My melon is about 61.5cm circumference so I usually have trouble finding helmets that fit.

My melon is 63cm circumference and I have an "Asian Head". :lol:

Imagine the joy I have gone through trying to find a helmet that fits. :twitchy:

hexron 07-02-19 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by August West (Post 21004622)
How large do you need? Two that I know that are available in XL are the Giro Syntax MIPS and Bell Falcon MIPS.

Thanks - have a Syntax on the way.

August West 07-02-19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by hexron (Post 21008408)
Thanks - have a Syntax on the way.

Glad I could help. I am enjoying Syntax. I hope yours fits nicely as well.

gorillimo 07-04-19 10:28 PM

Just got a Giro Bronte to replace A worn out helmet. Good fit, good airflow, low-key looking. Recommended