Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Living Car Free (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Where Did You Ride or Walk Today? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=921668)

JoeyBike 01-06-19 11:03 AM

I skated to work today. Weather FINALLY cleared up.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6dcda39eb6.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d5ef539c0d.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...05c5967d70.jpg

Trotsky 01-08-19 03:22 PM

Usual places.

I rode to the gym, then when finished I rode back. Late morning I walked to the St Ann garrison Barbados and walked around the outside of the horse track for about 9 km. The garrison is nice because there is less traffic and nice shaded areas. I do this walk a couple times a week. Other walks are to Oistins or Dover, both are along the sea.

Trotsky 01-09-19 12:32 PM

Easy ride today.

I ride to the gym every day except Saturdays and Sundays, which are long rides far and wide around the island. After the gym, shower and something to eat, I rode to two supermarkets as Wednesdays are food shopping days. I ride to Kendall hill to shop at Popular Discounters, as they have the best prices. Then back to Massy, as they have Waitrose goods, which are a reasonably priced store brand. A little over 10 km. Kendall hill looks like a sliding board from the bottom as it has the same shape and slope. It's a good workout getting to the top. Coming down, I get over 50 kmh.

wipekitty 01-09-19 10:02 PM

Time for a little home improvement!

Yesterday, I went to the home improvement store to pick up a new kitchen faucet. It fit (barely) in my messenger bag...along with a giant dog bone I picked up to keep the pup busy while I worked.

That project went so well that I went again today (with the bike trailer) and got a new vanity top and bathroom faucet. Sadly, the parts are not all playing nice together, so I'll have to go back tomorrow and pick up a few more things to finish the project.

We finally have what I consider nice winter weather: cold (highs in the teens, Fahrenheit), dry, and sunny! Before it was hovering around freezing and just kind of blah. I'll take the sunshine any day.

Machka 03-14-19 02:17 AM

Walking To Date
2019 - 213.91 km
2018 - 328.5 km
2017 - 312.75 km
2016 - 195.05 km
2015 - 181.36 km

Starting to pick up the pace a bit with the walking ... back at uni!

BTW 213.91 km is about 280,721.78 steps. Not too bad for someone who has a back & hip injury ... and who had the flu recently.
Kilometers to Steps | Kyle's Converter

wipekitty 03-15-19 10:33 PM

I actually went for a walk! I've missed walking.

It was sunny and warm (40F), and perhaps the first day since early to mid January that the sidewalks were mostly clear of ice. It's been a long couple months of cold weather, ice, snow, and trying to dodge cars while clunking around on studded tires.

The sunny, warm weather got me motivated to start doing my annual project of modifying my road bike. So I went to the bike shop and had them shift around the crown race on my forks, talked about bikes, and picked up some shifter cables. Then I stopped at the store and picked up a few food items.

dingster1 03-17-19 04:52 PM

Walked the High Bridge in Farmville Va.https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...af6f92172.jpeg

nuxx 03-30-19 11:36 AM

I live in Copenhagen... so a little "unfair" as we basically go everywhere on bike and have dedicated bike paths all across the city. :)

wipekitty 03-31-19 07:59 PM

Saturday's ride was an interesting one. I decided that I wanted to do a short recreational ride (up a hill and back) but also needed to do "big" grocery shopping. Solution? Bike to store, leave trailer locked up, take a ride, come back, and collect groceries and trailer. This also solved the problem of carrying a bag while climbing hills...my wallet, etc. fit in a jersey pocket, and it's really just the groceries that need to be hauled somehow.

I ended up with a solid 23.5 miles of riding - 4.6 with the trailer, and the rest just for fun.

Trailer...
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...aac7433c58.jpg

No trailer!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6959894644.jpg

Machka 05-13-19 08:14 PM

Walking To Date

2019 - 382.3 km
2018 - 540.8 km
2017 - 491.8 km
2016 - 388.5 km
2015 - 367.2 km

And yesterday, for example, I walked 7.6 km.

Home to bus
Bus to uni
Uni to work
Work to physio
Physio to work
Bus to home

It all adds up! :)

Pobble.808 05-15-19 11:11 PM

Among other rides today, I went a measly two miles, some of it in a dedicated bike lane, to the Hawaii State Library to snag a copy of Eric Newby's "Round Ireland in Low Gear":

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nd_in_Low_Gear

On the way back I stumbled across a farmer's market where I scored a colossal bunch of locally grown organic rainbow chard for $3, which qualifies as a near-steal in Honolulu :D

wipekitty 05-25-19 02:18 PM

Fresh from the wipekitty carries weird things files: Balloons!

My stepdaughter graduated high school yesterday, and I wanted to pick up a few things: posterboard, photos, and helium balloons. The closest place to get helium filled balloons is 4.5 miles away. I tied them to the front of my messenger bag, where they did remarkably well...so long as I was moving forward. I got quite a few strange looks on the ride home.

Incidentally, this is not the first time I've biked with helium balloons.

Rollfast 05-26-19 07:33 PM

I'm just surprised you didn't have people stalking you to the ice cream parlor.

blackbomber 11-03-19 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 20947273)
Fresh from the wipekitty carries weird things files: Balloons!

My stepdaughter graduated high school yesterday, and I wanted to pick up a few things: posterboard, photos, and helium balloons. The closest place to get helium filled balloons is 4.5 miles away. I tied them to the front of my messenger bag, where they did remarkably well...so long as I was moving forward. I got quite a few strange looks on the ride home.

Incidentally, this is not the first time I've biked with helium balloons.

Wife and I waked to grocer to get cake for sons bday. Ended up bringing home a few items including a few helium balloons. It was quite windy, so I can appreciate the challenge.

cyclokitty 12-08-19 08:21 PM

I live along the stretch of subway stops that were closed this weekend for construction so I walked to the pet supple store to buy cat food. Bonus, I found a hand made cat toy for the Spoiled Ones. It’s not a far walk and it’s on a busy street so there is always lots to look at while walking to the pet supply store. I saw a bakery I haven’t noticed before and they have some nice looking cakes and I will get one for Christmas Eve dinner.

LorenMiranda 12-30-19 01:21 AM

To work and.back. Fast food, not far... A mile one way. But have been car free for so long and bicycle dependent that I no longer consider other modes. When I do inevitably ride a city bus or in someone else's car I personally feel, well off. Just me. I've tried to understand this... I think it's just that I love biking so much. Always have.

Digger Goreman 12-30-19 01:01 PM

A few miles, to the library, for a park pass :)

Zedoo 08-21-21 02:35 PM

Years ago I saw news of the Dequindre Cut, a new bike path in southeast Detroit. It was not a route to anywhere I went, so I forgot until yesterday when I started planning a trip to Belle Isle. The Cut is on a slightly longer route to Belle Isle. I rode a bus to it, biked the whole length of the Cut both ways, a little bit along the Detroit River, and E. Grand Blvd. to the Belle Isle bridge. The bus was hotter than riding, so going home I rode a city bus to the Detroit limits and enjoyed breeze for the remaining miles instead of waiting for a connecting bus. Total biked, 19 miles. My 20 ounce pop bottle filled with water was not quite enough for the summer heat. Now I have a few options for how to get to Belle Isle.

Pathfinder2436 08-22-21 07:38 PM

Llanelli South Wales to Carlisle Northern England

On the 1st August 2021 I rode my Surly BD north along the 483 to North Wales. From there I turned east towards Liverpool then straight up the A6 to Carlisle. It was all for charity. I found the western edge of Hadrian's Wall and a small plaque cemented into a wall. I found the bike extremely heavy at 70 and due to four days of continual downpours, I decided to return to Llanelli by Coach. I'm changing my bike and returning north to complete the Wall. I'll be dropped off at Ravenglass. From there I'll cycle back to Carlisle. Then I'll turn east following the remnants of Hadrian's Wall until I reach Wallsend the other side of England. I'll then ride my bike south west all the way back to Llanelli. It was a great ride bar for the change in weather.

Zedoo 08-28-21 04:14 PM

Belle Isle

I saw mostly paved bike lanes and roads, but I eventually found one of the secluded gravelly trails. Next time I could take a map of the island. On the return trip I rode Van Dy.ke Ave to look for lunch options. I had a fried egg and iced tea at some place. 16 miles on a 90 degree day, which is hot for this summer in Detroit. I had two water bottles.

bjjoondo 09-11-21 07:49 PM

We did one of our 5K walks today as it was going to be 97 F by early afternoon to HOT to be out on the recumbent bike! We are lucky we have several trails and Greenways very close by!

Zedoo 10-31-21 02:10 PM

For a Costco trip to buy a rotisserie chicken and other food I chose the bike with the bigger basket, which is narrower at the bottom. The container tipped over and coated the basket with a layer of chicken grease. It will need cleaning before I bring it inside. I may let rain do the work.

StarBiker 11-13-21 12:40 PM

29 Miles on the NCR Thursday. Did 24 Miles a couple weeks ago and my knee bothered me for a day. Got to carried away.

ottovaughn 11-15-21 02:52 PM

I biked 10km to work through the monsoon rain / flooding that we're experiencing in British Columbia today. Nearly got blown off my bike by the wind but it was worth it to see the looks on my co-workers faces when I rolled up to the office.

bjjoondo 11-23-21 09:17 PM

Well we walked to the new Roadhouse Cinemas here in Colorado Springs to meet up with friends and see the new Ghostbusters Afterlife movie and have lunch! We can only afford 1 splurge a month and Tuesday is $5 for Seniors day there! Them walked to the drugstore for the wife's medications and back to the apartment. 5K walk great flick and good lunch! 🚶🥗🍕😁👍